“Tranquility”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Manly
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Tranquility”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We got a great deal here through Travelzoo - $119 for one nights accommodation, cooked breakfast and a bottle of wine.
The area is great, and lots of history with the site being the quarantine barracks for new arrivals at the beginning of last century.
If you are active it is fine for getting around however it is quite 'hilly' so it can be more difficult for the less mobile to explore - however access to the accommodation buildings does cater for the less mobile.
We enjoyed our short stay immensely. The views of the harbour and Manly are fantastic from on most of the verandahs. Watching the ferries and other activity on the harbour is very relaxing.
Accommodation is good, room are small and we had an external private bathroom which was good but a little inconvenient in the middle of the night.
Breakfast was good too, with a good variety as expected by the hotels quality rating.
Overall this is quite different from your standard four star accommodation. If you want a normal hotel then look elsewhere, if you want something different but still high class, then this might just be for you.

Room Tip: We were in Room 41, Building P11. Great views over Queenscliff and Manly and really comfortable outs...
4 Thank Albywon
Damien R, Manager at Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Albywon,

You've had exactly the kind of stay we want all our guests to have. It's good to see you were able to engage with so much of the site yet still enjoy the tranquil side of it as well. Thanks for coming and visiting us and taking the time to post this review.

I'm not sure if you went on a tour at all but maybe try that next time.

Food & Beverage Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 24, 2013

wow where to begin. ordered a harbour view heritage suite. and was the most furthest from the harbour. expected to be very close to the water. retail price for this room is $650. therefore i was expecting to get a great room. i expected to stay at somewhere near room 19. i am never one to give up on a day so i made the most of it. was thankful the sun was out and had a good day. when something says harbour view emphasises the harbour your expecting a great view regardless. i got a view with water. room 77 is to far away for the money.

Room Tip: Q station always has great deals. off peak.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank HOWwilliknow123
Hi Howwilliknow123,

I'm sorry to read about your experience and how we weren't able to provide what you were looking for. Without knowing specific details of your reservation, I feel comfortable saying that you were given an upgrade to one of our Retreat Suites (which is what Room 77 is) as one of our team here may have been wanting to do something a little extra as they often do when we have the rooms available. This obviously didn't have that affect and it's apparent we didn't communicate this with you at the time of your arrival.

This is definitely an experience that we can learn from, and I apologise that it was at your expense. I would certainly like to welcome you back to Q Station, and if that's something you're open to then please contact me directly at the Hotel to arrange this.

Thanks again for your feedback - everything helps us get better at what we do.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We purchased a Travel Zoo deal to visit Q Station which included 1 night and breakfast. The site is incredible and ashamed to admit I never knew it existed. Being an ancestry detective I found the whole history of Q Station interesting and 1 night was not enough to experience it all, will definately return.
The property is definitely the usual high standard of Accor mixed with the charm of Australian colonial heritage. The wide verandahs, incredible views of Sydney Harbour and enable visitors to unwind, relax or for those into fitness, there are plenty of tracks and roads to jog or pedal.
The only annoying part of our stay was the tv in the room which did not come with instructions. We found it hard to get a tv station, then had to be satisfied with the same one because the remote didnt allow us to change it. I had already called reception for help once and couldnt be bothered calling again. Would have been good to have normal tea in the room, we only had camomile flavoured, again could not be bothered calling reception knowing they had to get in a van and drive down to our room . Some people might find the access a bit annoying, as you have to park your at the top of the site, and rely on a van to transport you and your luggage to your room. There are 2 options for food once you are onsite, otherwise you will need to access your car and drive into Manly.
A beautiful site with lots of photo opportunities, kids would love the little beach and exploring the various tracks. Food & service at the Boilerhouse Resturant onsite was excellent, breakfast was plentiful, totally delicious and had something for everyone.

Room Tip: All rooms will be quiet and peaceful, the verandahs will catch any breeze in summer, we were in P12...
1 Thank MrsShahNewcastle
Dear MrsShahNewcastle,

Thanks for making the trip down from Newcastle (I'm guessing), our TravelZoo promotion has certainly turned out to be a popular one. It's great to see that you enjoyed what we do here at Q Station, and our team find it rewarding that what they do doesn't go unrecognised - I will share the feedback as well with our Housekeeping team to make sure we get a bit more consistent with what we offer in the rooms, as English Breakfast is normally in every room.

Thanks again for visiting, and if you're a fan of Accor properties you may be interested in becoming a LeClub member if you aren't already. Just ask at any Accor property and I'm sure you'll get all the details you need.

Cheers,
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was slightly apprehensive as we left the car in the car park and caught the shuttle into the hotel grounds. Not quite what I was expecting. But this is a quite different hotel experience and is somewhat out of place in Sydney. Our room was very good. Renovated to high standard with an excellent ensuite. We faced 'inwards' which was good but a harbour facing view would be terrific, especially from the old 2nd class quarters. The history was interesting and engaging. We didn't end up doing any tours, but there was a lot of walking to be done with lots on interpretative signage. Not many Sydney hotels have such a secluded private habourside beach as this one. In summer it would be great. The restaraunt is of a good standard but we ate at the 'casual' side in the outdoor area, covered, next to the beach. beautiful. We enjoyed this experience a lot. teh only problem was the "Sydney traffic" to get there and get out again, as it's a 'world-apart'. And make sure you use the guest lounge - a beautiful room with old world ambiance. This would suit a group experience too.

Room Tip: Try to book a harbour view room
2 Thank warps
To Warps,

Thanks for visiting us here at Q! You'll need to come back and do a tour now that you've been here, it's certainly interesting to see what the experience used to be like here. We are very happy to see you were just able to come here and relax - that's certainly what makes coming to Q Station so good!

We hope to see you again soon.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've stayed at Q many times over the last few years. During that time I've been increasingly disappointed by the continuing deterioration of the experience.
On the stay before last I was double charged for four nights; over a thousand dollars. Hey, we all make mistakes but when I was standing there saying to the staff member checking me out "please don't do that or my card will be charged twice" and he did it anyway, with predicted results, it’s harder to take. Three attempts and my bill was almost right...except for the double charge.
Then I was lied to by another staff member "we called your room", no, I've been sitting by the phone; it works and you didn't.
The lake in the bathroom was a constant source of amusement until I slipped in it, braining myself on the bath. I've actually had that room more than once, over a period of a year, and yet the post-shower bathroom lake remains. Is it really that hard to fix?
The big problem, however, is getting around. The shuttle bus (that you have to wait for as there is no parking on site any more) seemed to be taking ages. So, since I had nothing to do but wait for it I timed the process. Saturday night, 7 o'clock, I call reception; "yes, bus will be there soon". 7:32 the bus arrived, but didn't head to reception, it was doing a loop to the wharf, crammed with sweaty, loud, smelly, excited teenagers headed for a Ghost Tour.
7:45 we finally arrive at reception. That’s like the lift in a conventional hotel taking 45 minutes to get to the lobby.
At reception was a crowd of people waiting to get to Manly. We had planned to get a taxi but the taxis didn't want to play, leaving many people stranded and unhappy, some complaining they had already missed dinner reservations. So, we drove, with as many other guests as I could fit in the car, resulting in a massive parking bill the following day but at least I had the satisfaction of helping out some of the other guests.
Guys, I get it, no cars on site but your system simply doesn't work; you need to fix it. How hard would it have been to put all those upset, stranded guests in one of the buses and just take them to Manly Wharf? When we arrived at Manly there were plenty of taxis, they just don't want to bother going to Q for a ten dollar fare down the hill!
It’s not just the above; it’s the one way slide Ive witnessed at Q over a few years. It was magic, now it’s mostly a pain that involves a lot of waiting, for the bus, for a taxi, for the crowd at reception. All surmountable problems. They say the rot starts at the top.

Room Tip: Don't wait for the bus; walk to reception, its much faster and the climb is good for you.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Badwolf3
Dear Badwolf3,

I really appreciate the time you have taken to provide this detail, especially considering you have been witness to the evolution of Q Station over the recent years.We understand that transport around the site can at times be the main point of frustration for our guests, and we are working to improve on onsite communication solutions that will drastically impact on the effectiveness of our current processes. Additionally, when we do have scenarios such as people trying to get to Manly - we try and be flexible and offer that service, however obviously that then results in one less shuttle onsite looking after the guests who are still here, causing delays in their night.

I would be happy to discuss this with you further and perhaps take on any specific suggestions you may have - I don't think anyone here is ignorant enough to think that our guests can help us improve on the services we provide here. Please contact me directly at the Hotel if this is something you would like to engage in.

Food & Beverage Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manly
Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific
Central Business District
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour
Mercure Sydney
#62 of 178 in Sydney

Been to Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park Hotel? Share your experiences!