“Best time in my life”

Greenwich Village Accommodation
“Best time in my life”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I lived in GVA for 7 months! After every journey I came back there just because I love this place and the people! The room, shower and kitchen is clean also the stuff is friendly and helpfull! The food is not the best but everybody knows its not a 5-star hotel:) If you want to have a great time in Sydney stay in GVA!:) and just for to say you will have noise everywhere thats normal if a lot of people living at the same place... Cheers and I miss GVA a lot

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank 111222bu
Tom L, Manager at Greenwich Village Accommodation, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you 111222bu. Really glad you enjoyed your 7 months with us. Hope to see you again soon.
Tom,
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sydney
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The joint is an absolute dive, the rooms are disgusting and the furniture is old and broken. I ran night clubs for years but the noise never ends and no discipline or respect for studying or for those who have to go to work. Food is included in the deal but don't get to carried away, the menu is nothing like the one advertised on the website, sausages are cut in half, one piece of bacon, portion control from the cooks is like they will be whipped if they put too much on the plate so less is best. There is no supervision or security if people are playing music all night, drinking or smoking dope there is no one to go to to ask them to turn it down or go outside (and thats ok if thats what you do, just do it with discretion)... Bathrooms are dirty old and dilapidated, just like the rest of the place. The place needs new furniture everywhere old torn lounges, internet is really slow or non existant... Choose somewhere else if you are older than 30 do not even consider it!

Room Tip: Even if you ask for a non smoking room you won't get one!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Dean E
Thanks for your useful (and creative) feedback Dean. January in Sydney is always busy and the students are mostly on holiday. We do our best to keep noise to a minimum with a dedicated night time security guard. GVA is budget student accommodation - we encourage any potential visitors to call or email if in doubt whether it is suitable for their stay in Sydney. Thank you for the 5 stars for our location - we love it here on the North Shore of Sydney Harbour.
Tom,
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stayed in GVA for 5 months whiles studying abroad. I have met some of the greatest people in this building. There is such diversity that you meet people from all cultures, all around the world. Sure, we partied at night, but the 10:30 PM curfew was strictly enforced by GVA security, and we therefore had to either return to our rooms, or continuing partying away from the neighborhood. We chose to continue partying in the city. Tom is very strict about the curfew and the noise level after 10:30 PM, and will give residents a written warning for inappropriate behavior and/or noise levels after hours. People of all ages live here- from the university students, to the young working professionals, to even some adult/middle aged people. Some people have even lived there for years.

The food wasn't always great, BUT there were several nights that you definitely did not want to miss dinner. Rex and the kitchen staff are great and get crafty every now and then.

GVA was such a great place to live. Awesome experience. I wish that chapter in my life never ended.

Room Tip: Third floor was the BEST. but going up and down stairs gets tiring
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Theresa S
Thanks so much Theresa for your glowing review. You obviously 'got' what we're trying to do here - build a community for young people from all over the world. We don't always get the balance right but we'll keep on trying our best.
Thanks again,
Wailea, Hawaii
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My friend and I stayed here at the beginning of 2012. We were booked in for a month, whilst we worked in Sydney & had already paid the full amount in full.

Arrived at around 10am to an empty office, and waited around for 20 minutes before anyone came to check me in. At first I though my tiredness was tainting the view of GVA, but initial impressions were poor. GVA is poorly furnished, tired and dirty. After being taken to my room, I was faced with windows that didn't stay open, bedding just put on the end of beds, furniture that was falling apart. A quick wander around revealed awful communal bathrooms that were dirty, a 'kitchen' which contained nothing apart from empty cupboards - no plates, cutlery, washing up liquid etc...basic items were completely missing. Dishes (clearly someones own) were stacked up in a sink, and the only iron on the floor was not only old but also broken.

However the real shock came at night. During the day, students appear to just lie around in communal areas and at night I found out why. My room mate and I had to be up at 5am every morning for work. Each night, what felt like hundreds of people, were running around. Doors were slamming, people were screaming, music was blasting out of rooms, people sitting outside were insanely noisy - this went on until 4am every morning. My room mate and I are not adverse to having a nice time and nor do we mind anyone else having a nice time. However we did object to behaviour like this.

We managed three days until we both woke up in tears - we couldn't stay there anymore. It was impossible for us to work and live in a place like this. We attempted to get a refund for the money we had already paid, however the manager made this very difficult and was incredibly rude and uninterested. Eventually we managed to get a refund from one of the weekend staff and were out of there like a shot, without even having found anywhere else to stay, only to recieve an inappropriate, rude and unprofessional email from the manager two days later.

Do not stay here if you want even a small amount of comfort. This place is absolutely awful, and I will never ever recommend it to anyone. I think the fact that we left GVA without finding another place to stay first illustrates just how awful it is.

Room Tip: If you're looking to stay in Sydney, try the Wynard hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank NUR25a
Thanks for the feedback NUR25a. You're obviously very upset that GVA was not what you were expecting and I apologise for that. I will have a look at our website to see if we can paint a more realistic picture of what budget student accommodation looks like. I'm sorry that you didn't think $260 per week including breakfast and dinner didn't offer outstanding value. You didn't even like our location here on the North Shore. I wish you'd come to see me about your concerns when you arrived and I can assure you we would have done everything possible to make you happy. I'm sorry about the noise made by the students on the nights you were here. We have a dedicated security guard who is tasked with keeping noise to a minimum after 10.30pm which he mostly succeeds in. There is a hot-line telephone number to report noise to him directly so I hope you tried that.
Just in our defence, I would like to point out that we have had many nurses stay with us both long and short term. We are ideally located close to the Royal North Shore and many private hospitals.
Finally, I'm happy to tell you that we are undergoing a program of bathroom renovation. Some of our bathrooms are a bit dated but they are cleaned every morning by George who's been with us for 15 years. He takes great pride in his work but I shall pass on your concerns.
Once again, so sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. Your comments have been taken on board and we will do our best to address your concerns. For others considering staying here at GVA, please do call or email before hand if you have any concerns about what sort of accommodation we offer. We don't ask you to sign any lease so if you're unsure, why not book in for a night or 2 to check us out as it seems from our reviews that you'll either love us or hate us!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Stayed here for three weeks. Searching for accommodation in Sydney is an absolute nightmare, and GVA was our beacon of hope! The location is great: only five minutes walk to Wollstonecraft Station, and the train takes you to the city in less than 20 minutes (plus you get a postcard view of the Opera House enroute). The actual building isn't much to look at, but it's clean, the showers are hot and a decent daily breakfast/dinner are included in the rent. The TV room is probably the nicest room in the building as it's been recently done up, so it's great for watching movies and just chilling out. The wireless can be a bit sketchy at times, especially in the evenings when everyone is trying to check their Facebook, so just be warned!

The people are what make the place: it's a mix of homegrown students studying in Sydney, people learning English and others doing internships, etc etc. People tend to be in the 18-25 age bracket, although I did spot some more mature folk lurking around. It's a much more friendly atmosphere than a hostel, and Tom and Susan really try to nurture the community spirit. If you want to party during your stay, then you will always find people to go out with; if you are looking for a more peaceful stay, then perhaps this isn't the place for you! Having said that, on the nights when I didn't go out, I slept very well and so all that is required is an open mind and a good pair of earplugs!!

In summary: loved my stay and I will definitely stay here when I'm next in Sydney.

Room Tip: Don't get a ground floor room if you are adverse to noise.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank krisface
Thanks for the review Krisface - so glad you liked it here at GVA. Managing up to 160 students can be a noise challenge sometimes but we hope to strike the right balance between having fun and the necessity of sleep! You'll be glad to hear that the ping pong room is now being renovated in the same style as the TV room so we're all looking forward to some epic competitions later on this year.
As for the mature folk 'lurking' about, I fear that's me! We have had many guests 30+ stay with us over the years including a 60 year old lawyer from Queensland who was here for over a year. I guess your comment about 'young at heart' is a good one.
Thanks again for the feedback
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I stayed in gva for 6 weeks. At first I wasn't too keen on the place however with time I made a lot of friends and met so many great people that made the stay there so great. Its not luxury but You get used to it and start to love it. They have a really nice tv/cinema room, table tennis and a common room which allows u to interact with other tenants and make lots of friends. The food wasn't that great but the party's were awesome. It's defo a student place. But there are non students there. I didn't want to leave by the end of it!!!

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Missdesi
Thanks Missdesi. We didn't want you to leave either! We know we're not perfect but it's great that you had such a wonderful time. That's what we like to think GVA's all about.
Ireland
Reviewed September 10, 2009

My boyfiend and I are from Ireland and we booked a room at Greenwich Village over the net before leaving just needed somewhere to go straight to when we landed knew we would be worn out after the long journey didnt want any extra stress!! and the Staff at GVA where very welcoming and helpful to us when we got there.

we ended up staying longer than we had first booked for because the place was clean, comfortable and affordable and the staff where very approachable and friendly

its in a really good location just 15 mins on the train and your in the City with good public transport in the area

Met alot of great people there from all over the world it has a real interntional community feel to the place

Overall we both really enjoyed are time at GVA and next time where back in Sydney it will be are 1st stop!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwich
Hotel Urban St Leonards
#4 of 9 in North Sydney
Rydges North Sydney
Rydges North Sydney
#6 of 9 in North Sydney

Been to Greenwich Village Accommodation? Share your experiences!