“Awesome, but only for the under-25's/young at heart!”

Greenwich Village Accommodation
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Awesome, but only for the under-25's/young at heart!”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Stayed here for three weeks. Searching for accommodation in Sydney is an absolute nightmare, and GVA was our beacon of hope! The location is great: only five minutes walk to Wollstonecraft Station, and the train takes you to the city in less than 20 minutes (plus you get a postcard view of the Opera House enroute). The actual building isn't much to look at, but it's clean, the showers are hot and a decent daily breakfast/dinner are included in the rent. The TV room is probably the nicest room in the building as it's been recently done up, so it's great for watching movies and just chilling out. The wireless can be a bit sketchy at times, especially in the evenings when everyone is trying to check their Facebook, so just be warned!

The people are what make the place: it's a mix of homegrown students studying in Sydney, people learning English and others doing internships, etc etc. People tend to be in the 18-25 age bracket, although I did spot some more mature folk lurking around. It's a much more friendly atmosphere than a hostel, and Tom and Susan really try to nurture the community spirit. If you want to party during your stay, then you will always find people to go out with; if you are looking for a more peaceful stay, then perhaps this isn't the place for you! Having said that, on the nights when I didn't go out, I slept very well and so all that is required is an open mind and a good pair of earplugs!!

In summary: loved my stay and I will definitely stay here when I'm next in Sydney.

Room Tip: Don't get a ground floor room if you are adverse to noise.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank krisface
Tom L, Manager at Greenwich Village Accommodation, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thanks for the review Krisface - so glad you liked it here at GVA. Managing up to 160 students can be a noise challenge sometimes but we hope to strike the right balance between having fun and the necessity of sleep! You'll be glad to hear that the ping pong room is now being renovated in the same style as the TV room so we're all looking forward to some epic competitions later on this year.
As for the mature folk 'lurking' about, I fear that's me! We have had many guests 30+ stay with us over the years including a 60 year old lawyer from Queensland who was here for over a year. I guess your comment about 'young at heart' is a good one.
Thanks again for the feedback
Tom
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I stayed in gva for 6 weeks. At first I wasn't too keen on the place however with time I made a lot of friends and met so many great people that made the stay there so great. Its not luxury but You get used to it and start to love it. They have a really nice tv/cinema room, table tennis and a common room which allows u to interact with other tenants and make lots of friends. The food wasn't that great but the party's were awesome. It's defo a student place. But there are non students there. I didn't want to leave by the end of it!!!

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Missdesi
Thanks Missdesi. We didn't want you to leave either! We know we're not perfect but it's great that you had such a wonderful time. That's what we like to think GVA's all about.
Tom
Manager
Ireland
Reviewed September 10, 2009

My boyfiend and I are from Ireland and we booked a room at Greenwich Village over the net before leaving just needed somewhere to go straight to when we landed knew we would be worn out after the long journey didnt want any extra stress!! and the Staff at GVA where very welcoming and helpful to us when we got there.

we ended up staying longer than we had first booked for because the place was clean, comfortable and affordable and the staff where very approachable and friendly

its in a really good location just 15 mins on the train and your in the City with good public transport in the area

Met alot of great people there from all over the world it has a real interntional community feel to the place

Overall we both really enjoyed are time at GVA and next time where back in Sydney it will be are 1st stop!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed August 26, 2009

As a student in Sydney I stayed at a couple of places before I found Greenwich. They looked after me so well there - the staff are great. It's in such a good position - just a lovely ferry ride to the city (or train if you're in a hurry). If you're looking for a party place then perhaps this isn't the place as they have quite strict rules about drinking etc. But if you're working or studying then it's ideal. Dinner and breakfast are included in the price so it's great if you want to save money and I found the food really good (thankyou Nam - the Thai head chef). I met so many nice people from all over the world here

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Sammy486
Wesel
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I lived there for seven month. From June 2006 until December. As other people already said, the food is terrible and the people working there are not very vriendly. In the advertisement is described that there are PC with Internet. In fact just one or two of these Personal Computers worked properly and Internet was also only on "special" days. (Perhaps when the Owner stops downloading huge masses of files ;-))
In the Hostel it is forbidden to drink Alcohol. Thats for everybody. As we were drinking one beer in front of the TV we got a dissuasion should we do it another time. In order to live there you need to be 18+, so I think everybody should be allowed drinking if we would like.
Further more there is a "strict" policy concerning the food. Everywhere where little "notes" what is healthy to eat and what is not. So for example "Carrots eat much" "Meat eat less" etc.. But if you likte to choose more Carrots instead of Meat you can t have it. Cause Carrots seamed to be much more expensive that the meat. So I wouldnt be interested in where it comes from. The Compass-Group is the responsible Company.
The Shower Curtains in the bathrooms were full of mold. I will add some photos to make a prove. Moreover there are lots of Cockroaches in the whole building. Perhaps thats normal in Sydney. I dont know, I never stayed elsewhere. For me personally is was not such a problem.
The price for all this is in fact far toooo much. They should take far less in order of this poor service.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MasonBourne
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2003

I visited Australia last summer and stayed here for two weeks. It isn't bad for 20 year olds looking for a cheap place to meet others their age but the food is horrible and the people that work there are rude

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwich
Hotel Urban St Leonards
Meriton Serviced Apartments Chatswood
The Greenwich Inn Motel
The Greenwich Inn Motel
#3 of 3 in St Leonards

Been to Greenwich Village Accommodation? Share your experiences!