“Satisfactory”

Admiral Collingwood Lodge
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Satisfactory”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This lodge is easily located from public transport so wasn't any trouble to find by bus from the city. We found the large staircase (although lovely to the eye) a little difficult to carry our bags up and down, but got there in the end, with a bit of help from the owner! Our twin room was ok, but not anything special. The shared bathroom was kept very clean and comfortable to use. I personally really liked the spacious shower! Was overall a nice stay, but for the same price have stayed in much better.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
averagebloke015, Owner at Admiral Collingwood Lodge, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Many thanks Kirsty F for your positive review - we agree about you comment regarding value for money and have adjusted out prices downwards accordingly. Please try us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed for 2 night in the Admiral lodge. The property itself is not bad but i thought for the daily rate we paid we could expect our own bathroom!!!. The unit is very small ( smaller than standard hotel room) and did not have A/c - so it was very hot! The managers were polite and try to help but what can you do if you have to wait for a toilet room after midnight?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank daleguy255115
averagebloke015, Manager at Admiral Collingwood Lodge, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
DaleGuy,

We find it difficult to understand why you chose stay at our lodge which clearly advertises share bathrooms, a selection of various sized rooms with ceiling fans then unfairly criticize what we offer so blatantly on Trip Advisor.

Admiral Collingwood is a gracious heritage listed building built to be comfortable during summer and with the addition of variable speed ceiling fans it remains so and more importantly, seems to be acceptable to most of our guests.

We offer a selection of rooms from extremely large such as the City View rooms, large such as the Garden View rooms and now we also offer a 2 room Garden Suite with private bathroom and separate lounge.

Our shared bathrooms are mentioned in most Trip Advisor reviews as NOT being a problem and in fact are always described as being spotlessly clean, bright and plentiful. This is a small lodge and It is hard to imagine that there was a queue for our 4 bathrooms with toilets and 2 additional toilets at midnight!
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I arrived late but getting in was no problem with clear instructions were left for me. Walter, the manager, is really helpful. The room I had was at the front with a brilliant view of the Sydney skyline. It was a double room, beautifully decorated with a kitchen and fridge within. The shared bathrooms are clean and spotless with extra towels. The showers are great!

The lodge is outside the city which makes it very restful to come back to after a day's exploring. Full kitchen is on hand for you to use and there is a garden and patio area too. There is some traffic and airplane noise but I didn't find it obtrusive. No air-conditioning but the windows open and there are variable speed fans. Good TV reception too.

Travel to the city is great via the ferrys at Drummoyne wharf or buses from Central, Circular Quay or the QVB. I'd go back again.

Room Tip: You can look at most of the rooms to choose. Mine was a city view double.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Our recent stay for 5 nights was very enjoyable. We were made to feel welcome and the room and bathrooms were very clean and well presented. We had the City View room which did indeed have a lovely view of the city and was very pretty at night. Unfortunately, we stayed there on the hottest week on record so did swelter on the top floor..but The Admiral never claims to have air conditioning. Have no fear of the shared bathrooms...they are immaculate and there are enough of them that you never seem to bump into other guests. Nice touches are shampoo, body wash, bathrobes and even a little bag to carry your toiletries in...the kitchen is very well stocked and outside garden area very pretty and inviting....large tables as well as small mean that all variations of groups can have a meal or a drink..even a BBQ. The Admiral is a lovely place to stay..oh and the bus to the city or Ferry is really just minutes away making it very easy to travel. Certainly give it a go..we would return without hesitation.

Room Tip: Top room lovely view but hot!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We arrived on Christmas night straight from the airport and were greeted by a nice note on their board outside the main door. The instructions regarding key etc was very clear and our room was really nice. Next morning the manager whom we found very friendly and helpful asked if everything was OK. We originally planned to stay 2 nights but extended it to 4.
The bed was extremly comfortable and the room room was spacious with a small area that had a kitchen sink and fridge etc. The lodge itself has a lovely atmosphere with very good kitchen facilities allowing you to prepare your own food for breakfast etc. The staff are friendly and helpful.
Overall a very nice place and I would have no hesitation recommending this accomodation to other travellers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was expecting to be alone for this trip so I wanted to stay at somewhere safe and had good reviews since I had never been to Sydney before and wasn't sure what to expect. I saw the rave reviews on Tripadvisor and went with Admiral Collingwood Lodge.

When I first arrived, I fell in love with the open kitchen that leads to a porch. There was lovely soothing music playing and how I wish I could get my hands on that playlist! I also like the fact that there were herbs growing in the garden.

Pros:
1. I had to make changes to my reservations because my friend decided to join me afterall and changing the reservations was simple and easy (Thanks Walter!).
2. It is obvious that this lodge is extremely clean. Although the bathrooms were shared, I was impressed with how clean they were and there was no problem with the availability. Basic toiletries were provided (shampoo, conditioner and showergel) and you can also get clean towels from the bathrooms if needed.
3. You can easily get a bus at the main road to get to Sydney downtown. I thought transport was going to be a headache but in fact even getting to Bondi beach was simple (2 buses was all it took).
4. It is a safe neighbourhood. I had no trouble there at all and I am a stickler for secure environment.
5. You can get food from the restaurants at the main road and there is also a post office just right at the bus stop.

Warning:
There is no aircon at the lodge. I assumed that there was and I didn't check specifically. However it didn't pose any problem for me since the weather was cool enough for me to do without aircon but I suppose you might need to take that into account if you are going to stay there in summer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed December 22, 2012

This lodge is a wonderful home away from home. We were greeted with open arms and were given lots of advice on what to do on our short time in Sydney. Rob and Jennifer took very good care of us on our fist night stay at the beginning of our Oz adventure. We were so pleased with the service, price and hospitality that we stayed there on the last two nights in Australia. Thank you for making us feel at home! We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: All rooms have shared bathrooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drummoyne
Central Business District
Ovolo Woolloomooloo
#1 of 178 in Sydney
Bounce Sydney
#3 of 139 in Sydney

Been to Admiral Collingwood Lodge? Share your experiences!