“Hidden gem”

Cuisines: German, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We were initially greeted by Rudi the owner who knew one of the people we were dining with quite well. Rudi as the owner is very out there, but he has the best intentions and he wants to make sure people enjoy themselves and have a laugh. Yes, he can be very full on, but a very nice guy.

My first impression was the wine, AMAZING! The wine list is probably the best I have seen anywhere in Sydney, and you will drink nothing less then 10-15 years old. I have been told that the wine cellar is amazing.

We had some oysters to share which were extremely fresh and beautiful. We took the recommendation of the seafood soup which was hands down the best seafood soup I have ever had. It is obvious that the base of the soup had a lot go into it, and looking at all the ingredients there was a lot of work that went into it.

For the main I had the pork knuckle. Firstly, it was enormous and I had no chance of finishing it. It was beautiful, and I really enjoyed the crackly. It was served wish mash, dried onion rings and a few other items. It all went together, and I would love to go back there again to have this same dish, but without the entree and lunch beforehand!

I am very much looking forward to visiting here again

1  Thank machaltcrz

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Good food, gregarious warm service and the wine list is awesome. It's 2 inches thick with wines from all over the world & many, many, many back vintages.

We chose a red wine and decided to only select those from 1990, as that was a great year for reds. Scanned all the options & settled on a Grant Burge Meshach. You can't buy that wine/vintage anywhere else. We also had an older riesling (10 years old).

The food was good, unpretentious & enjoyable (not outstanding & not prissy with 99 flavour elements & all that fuss like Master Chef).

Will go back for those special occasions (not a cheap night, but then it's not like any other restaurant).

It was St Valentines day & as we left the owner presented my wife with the rose from our table to keep & a warm genuine handshake to me. It's like you had dinner at an old friends house.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stuyvesant House was started by a Dutchman more than 50 years ago, although two (then) young German brothers bought it in 1973. The food is very Dutch, and I lived two years in Holland. I have been there many times since they took over. It is not a cheap restaurant but good value if you like Dutch food and there are certainly higher prices for worse food in Sydney. If you come by car there is free parking in a Council lot opposite the restaurant, otherwise parking can be difficult.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you want a cosy and friendly eatery with a quirky Germanic feel, this is the place to come. Set in the trendy area of Crows Nest in a busy precinct, it is run by 2 brothers who have been there for 30 years. Try the Swienaxen if you are really hungry. A delicious almost family sized pork hock with the yummiest scrunchiest crispiest pork crackling jacket. Not for the faint hearted but they will carve it for you if you ask nicely.

They have the most interesting and extensive wine menus in Sydney where you can find some rare gems. Go on, treat yourself to the ambience and friendliness of Stuyvesants house and be prepared to be entertained.

Tip, dont order the starter, you wont need it.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Whilst this place has great food, an old fashioned ambience and great service, what definitely sets it apart is an amazing wine selection coupled with an unbelievably wine cellar. It only has to be seen to be believed. So if you really enjoy good wine this place is a must for you