“Barvarian delight”

Cuisines: German, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you want a cosy and friendly eatery with a quirky Germanic feel, this is the place to come. Set in the trendy area of Crows Nest in a busy precinct, it is run by 2 brothers who have been there for 30 years. Try the Swienaxen if you are really hungry. A delicious almost family sized pork hock with the yummiest scrunchiest crispiest pork crackling jacket. Not for the faint hearted but they will carve it for you if you ask nicely.

They have the most interesting and extensive wine menus in Sydney where you can find some rare gems. Go on, treat yourself to the ambience and friendliness of Stuyvesants house and be prepared to be entertained.

Tip, dont order the starter, you wont need it.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Whilst this place has great food, an old fashioned ambience and great service, what definitely sets it apart is an amazing wine selection coupled with an unbelievably wine cellar. It only has to be seen to be believed. So if you really enjoy good wine this place is a must for you

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Very "old school" establishment with a loyal following. The fare is traditional, solid Bavarian, with some popular Indonesian dishes as well. The wine list is extensive. The owners provide excellent (and entertaining) service.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I came across this restaurant just by chance and decided to have an impromptu lunch.
Rudi the owner was our host with his brother Max the cook, both very entertaining! : )
The food was great with both of us deciding to go "German". We shared some small starters, then my wife had the Veal Scheveningen and I the Schweinshaxe (Pork knuckle) which were just lovely, but beware these are large servings. To cap it off we shared 'Stuyvesant’s Delight' a mini selection of desserts, my goodness what a treat!
For us this was a large meal but just lovely, the cost without drinks was about $100.
The restaurant has both local and German beers plus an extensive wine list.
Will we go back again ........ of course!!!!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Having been most loyal customers of this restaurant for the past 40 years or so, my birthday and anniversaries and my 40th, 50th and 60th birthday party, held there for some 40 people each time,so I do know this restaurant very well.. It has always been a treat to go there, with my husband and friends over all those years. My husband has since passed away, and my son and his family, have continued this tradition to take me there for my birthday which was last night. Well, I can not believe how things have changed, it is so badly lit that I couldn't read the menu, but since I know it so well, I ordered my favourite Pea Soup, which they do very well, and Veal Schrevening for a main course, then the lights went out in the restaurant, (which was not their fault), we only had a candle on the table to see, the food came, we could not see what we ate, the veal was very small and I could taste a piece of beetroot and a piece of lobster, and a few small potato pieces, I think. There was a weak apology from Rudi, the owner, but our waiter was even worst than we normally get there, Rudi employs the rudest staff at any restaurant I have been to,the drinks are overpriced, $8 for a medium mineral water is rediculous. This will be the last time I will go there, after all those years of great memories of this restaurant. It has become overpriced, smaller meals and ruder service. It was the most disappointing birthday dinner ever. So goodbye Rudi, thanks for the great past memories!!,

8  Thank 152dutchie6