“Not up to usual YHA standard”

and 1 more site!
Cronulla Beach Backpackers
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Mostly patronised by surfies and working visa travellers, it reflects this in its style. Plenty of atmosphere if you are part of that crowd and enjoy partying. Great VHS and DVD collection, good large kitchen serving as main indoor meeting place. Good outdoor courtyard. Rooms adequate with very large lockers. Showers and loos are Ok. The place is cleaned by guests ...and it shows! The staff are very laid back but don't have that something extra you associate with most hostels.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This place is full of young people who stay there long term (work &travel) and are loud and dirty, may I say. Room was ok as it had extra storage space, but it was really dirty, it just makes me wonder if those occupants live like this back home? Clothes all over the floor, rubbish on the floor, dirty dishes, pizza boxes, takeaway coffee cups etc. in the room. Seriously Filthy! Feels like summer camp just without any teacher. Kitchen is quite huge and has loads of space, but all these teens/twenty somethings are seriously dirty.
Staff is real nice, I give them that.
The only reason to stay there would be to go and see the Royal National Park, which is only 30min ferry ride away or to learn surfing on Cronulla beach.
This hostel is a lively place, but hey non need to live like pigs just because you are away from home!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 19, 2013

O my god, we stayed at Meriton apartments friday night and then to YHA at cronulla on the sat and it was more expensive then Meriton. For some reason when we checked in my credit card would not go through and he said to do on way out. Once we arrived to room we could not believe our eyes. It was absolutely discusting. had not been cleaned for ages. My husband was like no way we are not staying here. there was hairs and dirt all over bed on mattress protector as you had to make your own bed... this was a family room i would not let me dog sleep in there. i honestly beleieve there was an OHNS issue with this place. No No no thank god we found somewhere else nice and clean....the smell was that bad i was gagging. we left and said sorry changed our mind....

Room Tip: no goods rooms unless you are young and travelling with limited money for a dorm room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sharonw316
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Located 40mins from Sydney by train nice area, close to beach. Hostel has very lived in feel to it. Large kitchen and tv area, nice bathroom/showers. Reception had warned me my room lived in sorry, but I hadn't even room out my bag on floor..halls full of stuff and just whole atmosphere you can tell many people staying here long term.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I've stayed here more times than I can count, starting in October of 2011. Whenever I go to Sydney, I always stay in Cronulla. This hostel is AWESOME, full of amazing and hilarious people, and has a great little courtyard where everybody hangs out and gets to know each other. There is a blog with tonnes of information about what's going on in the area and heaps of info about the hostel, you can find it here: http://cronullabeachyha.tumblr.com
It's also less than five minutes from the beach, which is handy if you enjoy the ocean. If you want a job while you're backpacking, there are always jobs going around and the manager of the hostel is great at setting up working holiday visa jobs, there's always a way to make a bit of money if you're running low. Rooms near the courtyard are a bit noisy, but ear plugs do the trick.

Room Tip: Don't sleep in the rooms near the courtyard!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I've stayed at many YHAs and only been disappointed a few times, Cronulla was not one of those.

I stayed in a single ensuite (private room) so I can't comment on the dorms. My room was good sized, had it's own fridge (that's awesome, as you'll know if you've backpacked a bit) and the bed was surprisingly comfortable. There was some mould on the walls under the window and a wierd smell when I first checked in but a good airing fixed the smell and a few black spots on the wall never killed anyone. The shower was big and water pressure/spread was very good.

There's wifi and pay-for-use internet with Global Gossip. No complaints about that, seemed to work fine. I also had two chairs, a small table, generous shelfs/drawers for storage and a flat-screen TV.

Overall I'd say that my room went beyond what I expect from a room at a YHA, even a double/single. The walls could use some cleaning and finding chocolate wrappings in the bed was also a little surprise but neither of those things were enough to ruin my stay in any way.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ivar N
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I booked to stay 2 weeks & ended staying 6 months, its that good. Its an awesome place with awesome staff especially Mike who goes out of his way to find you work.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo