“Check your bill”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Check your bill”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Check your bill and query it if you dare! Hope you don't get the vitiolic manager we were faced with. We were overcharged twice in a row. The first time we let it go because we enjoyed the food and the location. The second time we were overcharged $12 on a $42 breakfast. A simple apology would have kept us coming back, but her condescending tone and rudeness were almost comical as we found ourselves having to haggle. I guess the place has such a nice location they think they can get away with whatever they like. Really not worth the stress on a Saturday morning go somewhere else!

1 Thank 8happyfeet

Sydney, Australia
“Gorgeous location, dinner food could be better.”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We went to Zimzala recently for an anniversary dinner. We had booked a table for 7pm and arrived exactly on time, however we had to wait for half an hour for our table to be free. The staff were very apologetic, they couldn't really push the other customers off their seats mid-dessert, so I guess it was understandable. (however, later we did see the same thing happening with other bookings, a large group with elderly people waited for ages for their table to be free, which in bad weather could be a nightmare!)

We fortunately had beautiful weather, including a rainbow during sunset, it really is a spectacular location.

We were offered a complimentary glass of wine each for the inconvenience of waiting, which makes the bad start a whole lot better!

For an entree, my husband had the salt and pepper squid, except it was more like flour squid, because there was no hint of salt or pepper, you could actually taste the flour on the coating, and that was about the only taste. Very bland.

I had the ricotta and herb zucchini flowers, which were ok. Also a little bland.
We also had natural and kilpatrick oysters which were very fresh and lovely.

For mains, I had red curry spiced corn fed chicken breast, coconut rice, capsicum salsa & asian
herb salad, again, quite bland, the taste of red curry was very very faint. Quite disappointed.

My husband had the zatar crusted lamb fillets w grilled haloumi & fattoush salad which was more of a winner and lived up to its name.

The staff were very cheery and polite, but forgot our drinks twice, which we wanted during our meal. By the time we could catch someones attention for a third time (which was almost impossible), we had finished eating and didn't want a drink by then anyway, which kind of spoiled the meal a little.

We have eaten there for breakfast, and the food was much better. Unfortunately for dinner, they seemed to overbook and under flavour the food for our liking, and for the price, we will probably look elsewhere next time when choosing a restaurant for a special occasion.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Yummy breakfast....”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Decided to go for an early morning walk yesterday so last night went onto the Zimzala website and booked a table for 6.30am - quick and easy. Arrived on time and went straight to a great table (in the royal box they said) on a gorgeous morning in Sydney. I ordered the pumpkin, pine nut and chirozo omelette and it was magnificent, my wife had the breakfast muesli (nice but served dry). Chamomile tea to match and coffee were good. Service was by pleasant but a little slow.

Sydney, Australia
“Lovely breakfast with a suburb view”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband, daughter, mother-in-law and I arrived for our breakfast booking at 9am, but our table wasn't quite ready, so we were seated at the top bar area. We were greeted with a smile and apology, and offered water while we waited. The bar also has an amazing view of South Cronulla beach over to Kurnell, so the 10 minute wait was not difficult to handle.

Once we were seated, our waitress was very friendly and coffees arrived quickly despite all tables being full in both the main restaurant and outside seating area.
Again, the view is superb, so I can understand people staying to linger over coffee.

We had the Little Breakfast (not so little), Corn Fritters, Eggs Bendict and a side of bacon to share between the four of us, along with coffees, iced chocolate and iced coffee.

All in all it was exactly $20 each for a beautiful breakfast served in an unbeatable location with a friendly smile ... just perfect for a glorious sunny morning in Cronulla.

1 Thank ComoCat
“Disgraceful service!”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My girlfriend, her family and I visited Zimzala Cronulla for lunch, to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. Having heard good things about this restaurant previously, we naturally assumed that our visit would be a pleasant one. How wrong we were.

Upon arrival we were greeted by our waitress and shown to our table. It was a nice location in the corner of the restaurant, overlooking the beach. We were shown the menu, before being promptly reminded that we had to vacate our table by a certain time to allow for the second sitting of the day. We were aware of this, we didn't need to be told.

After ordering our first round of drinks we were met with a long wait. We then made a simple enquiry as to how long our drinks would be, as we were naturally thirsty on a hot day. Upon returning, the waitress explained to us that they were busy and that our drinks were placed ahead of the queue because an employee had said we were "cranky" about waiting. We weren't cranky, we just asked a simple question.

After waiting a considerable amount of time for our main meals, we were served with stone cold meals that had little more food than what's contained in a KFC snack box. After informing the manager, we were informed that we could have the meals cooked again, or we could keep the ones we had. As long as we were out by the next sitting. At no point were we apologised to or even offered a smile. Instead we were made to feel like it was our fault and we were just being difficult. We explained that it was my girlfriend's birthday and that we didn't to be difficult, however the staff felt differently. I'm sorry, but when you're paying $30 AUD for fish and chips, you at least want it them to be hot.

After waiting for, and eating half of our re-cooked meals, we then asked for the birthday cake to be brought out. Again, after a considerable wait, we finally received the cake, before eating it and deciding to end our lunch.

What came next is undoubtedly the worst service I have ever come across in any establishment, ever. We decided to have a quiet word to the manager to explain that my girlfriend's 21st had been somewhat spoiled by bad service and bad food, with the expectation of receiving a discount on our next visit, or at the very least, a simple apology. Instead we were told that it was not the manager's problem, that we were a "bunch of whingers" and that we should take it up with the owner. After deciding to do so, we quickly realised that the owner is family of the manager and that we were not going to be listened to. The manager then proceeded to say to us, "You people are all painful". We were then told to leave after paying $300 for our lunch.

Never in my life have I experienced such abrupt, rude and disgraceful service. We were made to feel like we were a burden. My girlfriends 21st birthday was somewhat ruined by our experience and as a result neither I, nor my friends or family, will ever return to Zimzala. I have nothing good to say about this place, except that the view is quite nice. However, the same view can also be enjoyed by sitting out on the beach eating a paddle pop, which is what I'll be doing next time.

We were disgusted by our experience, and like I said, neither our friends nor our family will ever return.