“Don't stay there!!!!”

Sydney Beachouse YHA
and 1 more site!
Sydney Beachouse YHA
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Warm welcome from Drew when we arrived. However all down hill from there. The room were small, painted nappy yellow, smelly carpet.. The shower looked liked it hadn't been clean. The kitchen looked ok I guess if you could find a pan that had a handle.. Many safety issues there.. Being elderly I wasn't interest hearing man having a go at each other and fighting. I would see this kind of action at a pub not a hostel..

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Maragart

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was a little surprised when we arrived in our room that it didn't look like the website where all the beds were on the floor. It must have been another website I saw who linked them because they didn't have that type of room. We have three children and we all fit fine in the room which had a double bed with a twin bunk bed over it and two twin bunk beds, a private bath, TV on a cabinet where we stored suitcases, two "lockers" where we stored hanging clothes and other things, and a dresser with several drawers. Amazingly, the five of us, 7 suitcases of varying sizes and 5 backpacks all fit in this little room just fine.

There weren't screens on most of the windows in this hostel but no need for us. We were on the third floor and we left the window open day and night because there was no air conditioning. Once we cleaned all the dirt and lint off the two fans we had provided, we improved the air flow 100% and were able to get a lot more cool air coming in at night.

The room was clean, there was no daily maid service but they replenished the towels for free as needed, there was a laundry room (very expensive though! $4 to wash and $4 to dry!), a community kitchen, TV rooms (one even separate for the kids!) and secure parking lot in the back (free). Wifi was available in certain areas of the building but with the thick concrete walls it was only luck if someone got access in their room like we did.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. They even made dinner reservations for us when they don't have a "concierge" desk technically. The price was worth not staying in a hotel with air conditioning because I couldn't find a hotel that had a room to accommodate all 5 of us. We would have otherwise had to get two hotel rooms! Very cheap in price even for Syndey!

Why I rated it a 3? I would still have liked for it to have screens on the windows or at least air conditioning, fluffier pillows (ours seemed 20 years old and hard and flat as a rock!), and a bigger room.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are less likely to have bugs (I hear). Our family room on the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Overall this is a great hostel. Staff were kind enough to give us a family room for a cheap price on the first night as everything else was booked, then we moved to a four dorm. Good facilities and parking which was a bonus for us because there is basically none in the city. Staff were always really friendly and helpfull. Location is also great beach and bus stop is a 2 min walk away! The only thing that ruined our stay was that nearly everything we put in the fridges was stolen, really annoying any time but especially when your skint! i also left my toiletry bag in the bathrooms for 5 mins and when i came back it was gone. you pay a 10 dollar cutlery deposit and we had some of that stolen aswel. Ruined it for us unfortunatley!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ashleen1990
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I arrived with my 3 children and mother for a four day stay, thinking the family room would be more spacious after advice on booking. On arrival the room was a touch tight. When I spoke to the helpful young receptionist he offered a second room free of charge for the duration of our stay.
This made our experience so much better.
The condition & services the hostel provided was brilliant for families on a budget. The kids aged between 13-11 enjoyed all the free activities, pool & complimentary body / surfboards.
Thank you for a amazing stay and will definitely return.

Ps: pizza bar next door really good and offered discount for all hostel guests..

Room Tip: Staff are extremely helpful, just ask for advice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I booked 5 nights at this hostel back in April 2012 for a stay over the New Year 2012-2013. The room was clean, tidy and all amenities were very well kept.
Amazing location, just a few steps away from the beach, and the buses into the city.
Staff here were amazing, very helpful, helped me book the rest of my accommodation for my onward journey and also my travel arrangements.
I would definitely recommend this YHA to stay if you fancy something a little more peaceful than staying in the heart of Sydney. The bus is like 25 mins to the city.
They arrange activities for the guests in the evenings if you don't fancy going out also.
Altogether I would say this was a brilliant choice of hostel, and recommend it to anyone who is travelling the East coast of Australia.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank kwm26
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

This is on Collaroy Beach, which is a very quiet area but if you want to surf and chill then this would suit as its literally across the road to the beach. As most YHAs are this was professional and clean. They charge for wifi $4 an hour but can also help you look for work. They advertise activities in the area night by night. There was a battle if the bands at the Sands just down the road one night which was excellent. If you do want to go into Sydney there is an express bus which takes only around 40 mins. BBQ out back and a pool which was closed for work while I was there. Huge cooking and common areas. A little more expensive than most hostels but all YHAs are.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Great Hostel, Its mainly the staff that make this hostel so worth it. If you want something alot less touristy than Sydney and Bondi stay at this hostel, great surfing, great location and little town feel. I had a horrible couple days leading up to staying at this hostel and the reception was great. offered me free dinner voucher and internet for the day, let me know if there was anything they could do to help to let them know. They gave me a hope for humanity that day. Great people and I thank you for your hospitality.

Clean, quiet location, rooms were kinda hot though, Donno if it was for lack of A/C but thats the only thing I would comment on, worse case scenario you head down the road to the beach too cool off...Hard Life

Thanks alot to the crew

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sydney Beachouse YHA? Share your experiences!