“would have been fair at half the price...”

Travelodge Hotel Manly Warringah Sydney
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brookvale
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is a motel in a nowhereville light industrial/residential 'burb of Sydney (apologies if you're a Brookvale local). We arrived at night and it wasn't immediately obvious we were at the hotel - from the outside the lobby looks like it might be some corporate HQ - not very welcoming.

Check in was reasonably efficient and friendly; checkout was moderately efficient (a lot of paper-shuffling involved) but equally friendly. Note that the hotel charges you a 1.5% surcharge if you pay by credit card (is that legal in Australia? it's not in many countries); given that most guests will presumably pay by credit card, this is a closet mark-up and IMHO, deeply scuzzy.

My room was a reasonable size, tho' oddly the double sofa bed was opened out and made up, despite single occupancy, using up most of the free space in the room. Decor was midway between simple and institutional, with quite good lighting. There was a small table to work at, with convenient power sockets, and a micro-kitchenette with oven-toaster and sink, and a kettle hidden in a cupboard. The bed was comfortable, with a light summer duvet. The bathroom was equally institutional-minimal, with a walk-in shower but no bath. All in all, it felt better than a university postgrad room, tho' with a similar vibe, but nowhere near the price point we were paying (more on that later).

The heater/cooler unit was noisy, tho' luckily the outside temperature was just right to sleep with the window open so I just turned it off, and the traffic noise from the nearby 6-laner was muted and not a disturbance.

I didn't use the internet, tethering my phone instead, but the wifi signal was strong. I suspect it may be a paid service. Secure outdoor car parking is A$10 overnight.

Breakfast was standard, again, almost institutional - all the basics were there, and well done, but nothing at all fancy. In the land of coffee geeks, the coffee was just so-so (and the "espresso" just nasty). The simple tables and chairs, too, were straight out of an institutional purchasing manager's favourite catalogue.

So here's the rub: this would count as a really nice university hall of residence, or a good quality basic motel. But it cost more than the smart boutique hotel I stayed in close to the CBD! The price was two, to two and a half times what it should have been.

Hence the "poor" rating. At A$75-80 for bed and breakfast, I'd have given this "average" and felt a bit guilty I wasn't giving it "very good". At A$250 for bed and breakfast before any extras, at this standard and in this location...? No.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter D
Daniel P, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Manly Warringah Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear hoboesque,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Travelodge Manly-Warringah, your feedback is very important and will be shared with the team at the hotel.

In relation to your check-in being reasonably efficient and friendly and check-out being moderately efficient I will pass this information onto our team. I will pass your feedback about the room and have followed up with our Housekeeping Team as to why the sofa bed was opened out and made up and would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused, the sofa bed was made-up by error.

I have passed your comments on about the air conditioner to our Maintenance Team, who is in the process of checking all of the units for issues relating to noise. In relation to the internet in the hotel, the charge for wireless / cabled is $24.95 per 24 hour period.

Please do not hesitate to contact myself on +61 2 8978 1200 if you would like to discuss your review further.

Travelodge Manly-Warringah

Write a ReviewReviews (1,211)

Reviewed December 12, 2012

As a regular at this hotel there is not too much to add to my previous reviews except to say that the check-in staff were as friendly and helpful as I have encountered in my many stays.
The room as always was clean and comfortable.
My major negative in the room is the TV set and its remote control which are really well past their use by dates and an upgrade of the system is well overdue.
In the evenings I often utilise the dining room at the Manly Sea eagles Leagues Club across the road as its convenient and good value.
In comparison to other hotels and accommodation available in the area it still presents excellent value.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear broadbeachboy,

Thank you for your review of Travelodge Manly-Warringah, I am pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

In relation to the issue experienced with the television in the room, I can advise that the hotel is looking into alternative options relating to the remote control.

We look forward in welcoming you back to Travelodge Manly-Warringah, please do not heistate to contact the hotel if we can be of any assistance with future reservations.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

It is always a shame when customer service is a bit lacking, the staff at this hotel were rather cold and unfriendly on check in and check out. I'm not sure why as it wasn't particularly busy or late when we arrived.

Rooms are a reasonable size with a comfy bed, and have a very bright orange sofa. On the downside many of the rooms face a busy road and so suffer from traffic noise. A lift is provided if you have luggage and are on the upper floors. Television wasn't working in the bedroom, and there was mold on the ceiling in the bathroom. Aside from that the room was clean, and the furnishings were adequate. The room had what looked like a very old air conditioning unit in it, however it did work quite well on a very hot and humid day.

This isn't a particularly flash hotel, but there isn't much choice in the area. For the same price you could find a better hotel in Sydney CBD.

Ample parking for $5 a day is available which is very useful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear peder182,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at Travelodge Manly-Warringah, I was concerned to read that you found the customer service a bit lacking and cold / unfriendly.

I was happy to read that you found the room to be of reasonable size, if you could please contact myself at the hotel so I can investigate the issues in the room relating to the television not working and the mould which was on the ceiling in the bathroom on (02) 8978 1200. I have passed your comments about the room being clean to our Housekeeping Team.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

On arrival the first thing that concerned me was that the staff would not make eye contact with me when booking in. The rooms were very clean but rather sterile. on the second day of our 5 day stay a more senior steff member was on duty and she knew how to connect with the customers. As a budget hotel it is extremely well presented, close to the Manly NRL Leagues club. It would be nice if the club offered discounts to people staying at there Hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 3rd floor western side are quieter than other rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel P, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Manly Warringah Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Jim R,

Thank you for your feedback and comments about your recent stay at Travelodge Manly-Warringah.

I have spoken with the team and have passed on your comments about eye contact and how this is concerning, please rest assured that this is a once off occurance and has been improved at the hotel.

I will pass your comments onto our Housekeeping Team about the cleanliness, I will also pass on your comments about the team member on the second day who connected with guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact myself at the hotel or any member of my team if we can be of any further assistance with future bookings or to discuss this review further on (02) 8978 1200.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have stayed here twice now and have found both times that the rooms were very clean, and great value for money.
I stayed here for three nights in June 2012 to watch an NRL game at Brookvale Oval which is only a block away. Also the Manly Sea eagles Leagues Club is directly across the road from the hotel which have great meals and entertainment on the weekends. The hotel is in a great location and the staff were very helpful during our stay, I would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Chele D,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Travelodge Manly Warringah.

I was happy to read that you have stayed with us twice and have found that the rooms were clean and the hotel great value for money. The hotel is only a short walk to Brookvale Oval and the hotel is opposite the Manly Sea Eagles club.

I will pass on your comments to our team here at the hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly if we can assist you with any future bookings.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at Travelodge over the NSW Long Weekend as our friend was getting married at Collaroy (5min drive away). We booked the hotel for its location and low cost as we were only going to really be sleeping. Firstly we received a $99 deal so didn't have too high expectations. I got a call from the hotel in the morning confirming the room type and i asked for early check in which was accommodated straight away which was a great start. When we arrived check in and parking was easy. Our room was on the 3rd floor facing the road (which was a bit noisy but didn't bother us). The room was clean, a good size and modern. It was just what we needed after a fun wedding. Check out in the morning was very busy but the staff were very nice. I cant comment on location to beaches etc but i know from experience it is close to all the coastal beaches, shopping centres and parks and across the street from a club. Nice hotel and just what we needed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard- it would be quieter than on the street
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
MatthewJRichardson, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Manly Warringah Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Dear stefnmick,

Thank you for taking the time out to write your comments on your recent stay at Travelodge Manly Warringah.

I am glad to read that the team at Travelodge Manly-Warringah called you on the day of arrival to confirm your booking, including the room type and accommodated you with your early check-in request. I was also pleased to read that you found checking into the hotel and parking easy, I will pass your comments on about the cleanliness of the room to our Housekeeping Team and the comments about the front office team being nice.

We look forward to assisting you in the future with any bookings.

Matthew Richardson
Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookvale
Manly
Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific
Manly
Quest Manly
Quest Manly
#1 of 13 in Manly

Been to Travelodge Hotel Manly Warringah Sydney? Share your experiences!