“Great location and service”

Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach
Reviewed November 16, 2007

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

I found the staff to be very friendly. I was upgraded to a Bayview suite which was lovely. I had a large room with separate lounge room, bathroom & bedroom. I had 2 Televisions a large balcony overlooking the water, the city skyline and the airport.

The location was superb, located across the road from Brighton Beach. Outside the hotel dozens of restaurants and shops, even a Coles Supermarket.

Great location and friendly staff, I would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Anipn
nsbb, Executive Assistant Manager at Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2009

Dear Pinan,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach.

Here at Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach we are constantly striving to provide excellence in service and I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and were happy with your stay.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach.

Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,928)

Reviewed July 16, 2007

I booked this hotel due to its location. It is 15 minutes from the airport and right across the road from a Botany Bay beach.
The hotel staff was friendly and helpful.
I received an upgrade to a Bayview Suite and I loved the room. It had a great view out to the bay. The only complaint was there was no room in the toilet. If you are claustrophobic or trucking a little too much in the backside you may have trouble.
The buffet breakfast is awesome. The buffet dinner was disappointing.
Overall though, a very good hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank auws
nsbb, Executive Assistant Manager at Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2009

Dear Auws,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay at Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach.

Here at Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach we are constantly striving to provide excellence in service and I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and helpful.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast; however, I regret that you found the buffet dinner disappointing. Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach constantly focuses on the food and beverage it provides and I am sure that your experience was not typical of the high standards the restaurant is known for. On your next stay perhaps you could try our A La Carte menu for something a little different.

Reviewed February 9, 2007

Stayed in a Bayview Suite for 3 nights (7-9 Feb) for a conference held at the hotel.

Room: Our room had an internal door and thus a separate lounge area (with sofa that would have been a second bed if required) to the bedroom. The door is good for having the office available for work and to keep the bedroom quiet -- although the airport is not far away, so the jet engines are easy to hear. Mascot (Sydney international airport) does have a night curfew though. We had nice views of both Botany Bay and the Sydney CBD skyline, although half the hotel just faces the bay, not the CBD (L-shape).

The bathroom design was a little awkward -- the toilet shoved in next to a separate shower, with not much manoevering room. You'd want not to be a bigger framed person (as I am), as you'd find the toilet placement a little uncomfortable. Something to put up with only on a short-term basis, although better toilets on the conference level of the hotel. I'd rather the shower and bath together to not have to squeeze in the toilet.

We had some ants in the room (and one wandering cockroach, who we put back outside -- we guess he probably came in through the balcony door). The ants weren't prolific, but a little annoying wandering around the lounge area and bathroom. Not enough though to ask housekeeping to attend to them.

Soft bed, pillows ok and 2 tvs with limited channels. We had to get the battery changed in the remote, but that's a random chance of happening I guess.

Staff were okay. No sign of concierge/door staff to help with our bags on check-in though -- the lobby was deserted in that respect, so our up to us with the bags, even after checking in. It was also worth re-confirming the booking by phone the day before we arrived, as the hotel had only put down nights, not 3 as originally booked. And we also were originally told it might be hard to get a room with a king bed (rather than twin beds) -- although on our second call the hotel staff member was surprised by this information -- and assured me king beds were the main option (all beds king, not queen or double).

Facilities: The conference facilities were fine, food and seating typical for this style of hotel. The "business centre" must have been out of order: there were only 3 computers inside the front foyer of the hotel with abysmal printing facilities: a small laser printer with "toner saver" turned on -- at $0.20 per page for awful toner coverage, it wasn't suitable for any business purposes. Perhaps there is another centre in the hotel that usually operates? My wife was directed to the foyer computers for this purpose: coin operated, not too hard to use, but useless printing facilities for business documents.

The hotel's internet access was provided by outsourcing ISP Azure, and was wireless. My 1-month old PC's wireless was too new, and I had to use a wireless bridge (supplied by the hotel for free, but then not very practical to take my notebook PC into the conference room with the added peripheral and need for a power outlet). This service was $20/day surcharge, or $66 for 10 hours (less hours were available). Bandwidth varied, from really slow to low end of broadband -- download speeds from 3kb/sec to about 35kb/sec. Thankfully I knew how to disable my wireless connection and enable a LAN connection for my notebook PC -- it did require some IT skills to get it setup and working.

The pool and outdoor gardens were closed for renovation -- black plastic bordered the restaurant so the whole outdoor area was not visible during our stay. This wasn't mentioned when booking, although as we were there specifically for a conference it didn't spoil any plans.

Food: We had room service dinner twice in 3 nights -- and had a side of "fries with tomato relish" on one occasion. The relish turned out to be plain tomato sauce in a little jar, but otherwise the service was prompt (to the time they said they'd take -- about 15 mins one night and 30 mins the next). Pricing was pricey, but typical and expected for this type of hotel. There was a "convenience store" outside the hotel, but under the same roofline: this was very pricey and not temperature controlled, so some food on the shelves was soft/melted. And at $6.95 for a 100g packet of chips/crisps, this was not your usual 7/11 pricing!

Food in the restaurant for lunch (conference buffet) and breakfast (full buffet) was fine and nice quality. Plenty of seating, although on a sunny day, the sun in the east-facing windows (and the reflections off Botany Bay) was too bright so we sought seating away from the view (plenty to choose from).

Nearby restaurants were affordable, relaxed and very enjoyable, less than 2 minutes walk from the hotel lobby. There's a food court as well as some cafes and the main shopping street for Brighton-le-Sands, so good range of choices.

If I had a choice, I wouldn't book here again. If I had a car in Sydney, I'd probably find somewhere nicer to stay and drive to the venue each day. (After 20-odd trips to Sydney, I'm feeling now like I'd be comfortable driving -- Sydney drivers seem more chaotic compared to Melbourne, where I live!). But I'd stay here again if it was required for a conference venue (I don't think there is much other choice in the area south of the airport, and certainly not much convenient public transport other than taxis of course).

Overall, rating of "average."

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank DeanDidThis

Dear DeanDidThis,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your stay at Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach. We are constantly working hard to ensure we provide excellence in service and it is only through your feedback that we can monitor where we need further improvement.

I apologise that the pool and outdoor areas were closed for refurbishment during your visit. As you may be aware, Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach is continuing to upgrade its facilities. As part of our continual improvement program, a brand new outdoor dining pavilion and recreational area on level 3 is now complete. Previously, the hotel underwent a multi million-dollar refurbishment of level two. You will be pleased to know that the next area of the hotel to be refurbished is the accommodation rooms.

I was disappointed to read of the difficulties you encountered with printing from the Business Centre and the hotel’s internet provider. The hotel does have quite good printing facilities (charges apply) so should you require assistance with printing or internet in the future, please do not hesitate to contact the Assistant Manager on duty who will be more than happy to assist.

In relation to your feedback on transport at the hotel, there are many public transport options available from the hotel. Rockdale Train Station can be reached on foot or via a quick bus trip. There are also regular buses and taxis available outside the hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact our Concierge Team on your next stay for any transport and timetable information.

We very much appreciate your feedback regarding your experience and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 15, 2007

We stayed here on the 27th December 2006, the night before flying out to New Zealand, mainly because it is close to the Airport and other hotels we had tried around the airport we were not happy with. We booked a Twin Queen Botany Bay View Room (2 Adults and 2 Children 6 & 9) through the hotels web site @ $279.00. On arrival we were met quickly by the porter and our luggage taken for delivery up to our room, check in was fine, staff ok. Our room - Opening the door you enter a dark window less lounge area with a double sofa bed, TV etc and Dining Table, on through with the bathroom on one side (quite spacious with a shower with heaps of pressure and lots of hot water - Thumbs up) and a Bench with mini bar, fridge etc on the other on through to a bedroom with two queen beds, TV etc and finally to our balcony and the view?. Our "Botany Bay View Room" was at right angles to the "View" so only a partial view. As the complex has two pools (one indoor heated) and a water slide we decided to take the kids to the pool to burn off some energy. The outdoor pool was cool...well actually it was cold, no problem we will take them to the indoor pool (which was totally empty). "Sorry that pool is for Adults use only".... ok so the kids played in the outdoor pool (and shivered and turned blue as kids do in a cold pool) for a while and then we took them up to the room for a hot shower. Ok Great Shower but only two towels for the four of us. My wife called reception and was told that Housekeeping would send some right up, an hour passes, no towels, so I call reception, phone rings out and I end up with the Hotel switchboard, explained the situation " I will fix it immediatly Sir" well she did, we had six towels in about 1 minute! We had room service dinner which was quite reasonable. But as there is no doorbell it is hard to hear anyone knocking and the poor waitress had trouble making herself heard!. Beds ok, lumpy pillows. For the money this hotel is a bit average, but it is still better than other we have stayed in around the Airport.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank Warrens_of_Conder

Dear Warrens_of_Conder,

Please accept my apologies for your disappointment with the view from the room you were allocated during your last stay. When you next book to stay at Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach please let our Reservationists know of your preference for a room on a higher floor facing the bay so we can update your profile with your preferences.
Furthermore, I apologise that there were insufficient towels in your room on arrival. I am pleased that the towels were immediately delivered as soon as you brought this to our attention, nevertheless I have brought your experience to the attention of our Executive Housekeeper.
For future stays you may I suggest you view our Pillow Menu located on the bedside table allowing you a choice of assorted quality pillows.
Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach.

Reviewed October 2, 2006

We stayed here again enroute to the US mainly because of proximity to the airport and it was pretty good when we stayed here last year. We booked a suite for $20 more so we had more room. It is not a cheap hotel in our view so look for good deals. The king bed was very comfortable but there was no bed for the two teenagers. The queen bed advertised turned out to be a sofa bed which we had to ask to be made up. Quite frankly, if I were the hotel manager I would have been embarrassed by the dilapidated state of the sofa bed. The matress was literally undulating! It was falling to bits. They left only one pillow so we had to ring again and ask for more which were delivered promptly. The towels left for the kids were thin and fraying. The location is great and the pool and garden area are very nice. There is a walkway to the beach. The room had views of the garden area, the bay and the airport. Next time, I think we'll look around for something else.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank barnowl54

Dear Barnowl,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach.
We have a various accommodation options that would be suitable for your family for any future stays. When you next book please contact one of our reservationists who would be more than happy to suggest some suitable options and packages.

I was most concerned to read of the condition of the sofa bed mattress during your stay. We do have a regular mattress replacement program in place so naturally, the mattresses requiring replacement have been replaced since your visit.

Reviewed August 28, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night in August 2006. It was OK but I would have expected more for the price. The room was average, the TV didnt work and the staff were indifferent. We were offered another room as the TV didnt work but because we had already unpacked and it was just one night we declined. The outdoor pool was very nice with a waterslide for the kids but it was cold(not heated in winter). The location of the hotel is pretty good, there are lots of nice restuarants around and the water across the road but it was quite noisy and the rooms were not very soundproof. Whilst we have no real complaints I just thought the hotel was very average for the high price charged. It is close to the airport and there was plenty of underground parking for $15 per night.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Nicole H

Dear Dancingprincess,

I apologise for your disappointment with the room you were allocated during your last stay. When you next book to stay at Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach please let our Reservationists know of your preference for a room on a higher floor so we can update your profile with your preferences.

Reviewed September 24, 2005

We stay at this hotel once a year as my husband runs conferences here. Being a Sydney sider myself living on the north shore its highly unlikely i would have stayed here...except it was related to work. The hotel is 10 minutes by taxi to the airport which would suit travellers looking for somewhere to stay for a stopover. Its situated across the road from Botany Bay and has lovely views of the water. One can sit on the balcony and watch the planes take off and land at Sydney airport. It can become quite obsessive watching the planes....and at night it is rather magical with all the lights. Brighton le Sands is an interesting area once known for its rather large Italian community. So hence, there are plenty of good restaurants close to the hotel. The swimming pool is excellent with an indoor heated pool with steam room and sauna and an outdoor pool with slippery dip. Great for families. Our rooms when ever we have stayed have been above average size with all the mod cons that you expect. Last time we had an enormous room with balcony king size bed, a separate lounge room which accomadated my friends overnight . Working desk with internet connection, inhouse dining and room service. Breakfast was terrific and staff very happy to help even though the hotel was going through renovations.
Good restaurant and bar area. Opposite club and nightlife is plentiful.

PROS: Excellent location to airport...buses to city about 15 - 20mins away. Very spacious and comfortable rooms. Furniture above average. Large balcony with super views. Beach across the road...shops and restaurants, clubs at doorstep. Good supermarket close by to buy refreshments. Great conference facilities. Pool area terrific for adults and children. Beauty palour for manicure or massages. Room service excellent. This hotel is alot better than some of the city ones.

CONS: Abit far from major attractions of Sydney but really whats 30 minutes...for comfort and value.

RECOMMENDATION: Absolutely, expecially for travellers stopping over in Sydney.

• Stayed: February 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank Ellemay

Dear Ellemay,

Thank you for leaving your feedback regarding your stay at Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay and would recommend the hotel to others.

As you may be aware, Novotel Brighton Beach is continuing to upgrade its facilities. As part of our continual improvement program, a brand new outdoor dining pavilion and recreational area on level 3 has been completed. Unfortunately the waterslide was removed with this refurbishment. However, a children’s playground has been added to the area.

The hotel has also completed a comprehensive upgrade of level two since your last visit to create greater meeting efficiencies, enhance comfort and provide a more contemporary ambience for guests and delegates.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach when you are here for your next conference.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighton le Sands
Metro Hotel Miranda
#1 of 1 in Miranda
Manly
Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific
Pullman Sydney Airport
#2 of 12 in Mascot

Been to Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach? Share your experiences!