“Unprofessional Service and Value” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Novotel Sydney Norwest

Novotel Sydney Norwest
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Baulkham Hills
Zurich, Switzerland
“Unprofessional Service and Value”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I am a regular business traveler and stay regularly with Priority Hotels (Intercontinental or Crowne) and on this trip I was unfortunate in spending 3 weeks at this hotel. Although it was noted as four stars this would not meet my expectations of what a four star is and when combined to the price paid it was not a good value. The service was extremely poor.

1. From the beginning they did not recognize my Priority Status.
2. When placed in the room the heat did not work and the room stayed at 21 degrees. When trying to get assistance the front desk replied back in an unprofessional manner in a mocking tone. Only after an additional three complaints was it finally addressed.
3. Upon checking out for the weekend I left a belt in the room. An email one day after checkout went unanswered. Upon checking again after two days I asked the desk about the belt and they noted they would ask house keeping the next day. The following day I asked again the same desk clerk who did not remember me or the request. Only after describing the belt again did he remember and then made a note on his hand. After two hours there was no response, so I asked again and again the clerk gave the impression he did nothing and said he would check. The next day I asked the clerk again who found the belt after another hour.
4. When leaving bags over the weekend they did not provide luggage tags. I had to request for one.
5. When leaving laundry, they put some clothes just in a plastic grocery looking bag. Or they use a safety pin for socks and then hang which is not any easier. In some cases they staple the dry cleaning tag to the clothing label so you have to go through the process to take out the staple.
6. The hotel manager every morning just stands at reception with his elbow on the desk everyday and gives the appearance that work is foreign to him even if the front desk is swamped with checkouts.
7. The quality of the gym is poor with 4 pieces or cardio equipment. During the 3 weeks one bike did not work. The large TV does not work.

On the positive side there was one nice woman at breakfast who was really friendly and made you feel welcome.

Room Tip: Location is only good if you need to be in this area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jdmcuse
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel Sydney Norwest, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear jdmcuse,

Thank you for being a Priority Club member and for taking the time to write a review. We have taken good note of your comments, and really appreciate your loyalty.

I was concerned to read that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations and that there were a number of factors that impacted your visit. I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the level of service provided has caused you. We strive to provide every guest with the highest level of service and customer care and I deeply regret that on this occasion we have failed to deliver.

As a club member, we value your loyalty and patronage to our hotels. With this in mind, rest assured that all your comments will be reviewed by the hotel's management to ensure that same scenario will be avoided in the future. We all hope that should you return to Sydney, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back as one of our members and allow us to redeem your faith in our award winning service.

Dhan M
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

This Crowne Plaza should not be classed in this catergory, arrived for a nights stay over this weekend, and no help given with luggage, arrived early, but understood that the room would not be ready. Receptionist tagged my luggage and advised us to come back later.
Was not impressed with this service, I had to ask that she take our details and when the room is ready to ring us. No mention of an acknowledgement to be a priority club member, when I did ask she said oh yes we know you are, and left it at that.
Arrived back to the hotel about 1.30pm and the receptionist said that she had tried to ring, I'm sorry that was a down right lie as no phone call was registered on my phone. On giving me my key she than proceeded to give me my luggage to take up to the room, I'm sorry if the room was ready why was the lugguage not taken to the room, before I arrived. 1st impression not good.
Being a priority club member a newspaper is usually sent to the room, but this was not asked at reception on arrival. poor poor service.

Room looked clean and seemed ok until I grabbed a glass from the cupboard and noticed that it was full of dust, which means that the room was not checked to ensure of this cleanliness.

Well than I went to breakfast and no one was at the counter to show me to a table or to take my details, so I had to ask a girl in the bar area, who look confused. She managed to get someone to help, I had friends meet us for breakfast, I ask the young girl if they had a egg station, which is one of the brand standards for Crowne Plaza, she said no and she was not sure as she was new and had no idea, there was no one else in the restaurant only her, the food was average not even baked beans which is also standard, a budget hotel charging high prices for breakfast. I had guests with us and one of the ladies wanted a nice coffee made, not one from a machine. So when we asked this young girl, all she could say was it wasn't part of the price of breakfast and would cost extra, I was most upset that after she made it, she delivered the coffee and asked for the $3.50, oh my god we said just put in on the bill.
There was no supervisors or managers in attendance and I would like to say your training of your staff is much to be desired.

If anyone should reply to this report, I do not want an apology as that is admitting fault. What I want to know is how this should of been handled, because the blame falls on your managers and of course reflexs on the Brand you are trying to sell

Not a hotel I will return to, but there are other Crowne Plazas out there that consider the guests needs and acknowledge this
Shame on you Crowne Plaza Norwest ????

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank maggjeff
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel Sydney Norwest, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear maggjeff,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding cleanliness, customer service and the poor restaurant experience. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Went for Brunch on Sunday booked a table for my baby shower . Food selection was excellent and surprisingly had food options for my wieght concious frineds. Staff was very helpful with getting our tables ready when 3 extra people turned up. Weather was beautiful and took a table with pool view.

Room Tip: Must Try brunch
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CrownePlazaNorwest, Director of Sales at Novotel Sydney Norwest, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Hello Qandol A,

Thank you very much for your review we really appreciate the fact that you have spent the time to provide this feedback.

Our Sunday brunch is getting really busy and love the fact you enjoyed your time at the hotel. Look forward to being able to see you here again soon. Look out for our Christmas specials coming

Regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Went there for lunch had prawns and bruschetta for starters ,lamb and salmon for the main and pannacotta for desert ,food and service was outstanding ,very friendly and helpful staff.Would defiantly recommend to visit.

• Stayed May 2013
Hello Ranamo,

Thank you very much for the review, glad to see our staff were friendly and you enjoyed your time here at the hotel.

Look forward to welcoming you back sooon.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Took 16 people to high tea for mothers day. The service was terrible with an elderly grandfather waiting over 1 hour for a cup of coffee and the kids waiting half an hour just for orange juice. There was no tea pots on table had to rely on jugs of hot water to go with teabags that you had to poor yourself. The price for what you got was horrendous, originally quoted $39pp but told $49 due to mothers day but the service and the food for this price was substandard. The greastest waste of time and money. This caused great embarresment to myself and my mother who also was giving this as a gift to my grandparents. Temmie Gollan

Room Tip: Do not use Crown Plaza for high tea or any special occasion
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Ashley G
CrownePlazaNorwest, Director of Sales at Novotel Sydney Norwest, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hello Temmie,

I apologise that the parameters which did not meet your approval at the hotel this Mother's Day I would like to discuss the events of the day from your side as we had alot of happy customers from our High Tea.

If you please contact myself at smm@crowneplazanorwest.com.au that would be much appreciated.

Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Honestly the general location has little to recommend it. If you need to stay out this way for business etc then this is probably as good as you will get. I can't understand why tourists would stay here though and there were plenty of them at breakfast.
The building is pleasant enough and with the huge parking lot its not boxed in. Upstairs room with a small balcony was nice enough. Room was large with all the usual fittings, bathroom clean and toiletries good.
Breakfast was good but nothing outstanding, though a bit pricey. Service was pleasant.
Charges for WiFi are steep - reflects that this is a business hotel where they think customers will pay the extras once committed to the hotel. WiFi should now be free in any hotel

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper level facing west
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DiggerPerth
Thanks DiggerPerth,

We appreciate the time which was taken to advise of your stay at the
hotel. We value all feedback and really appreciate your kind words and insight into the property.

I hope that you are able to stay again in the future.

WA, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

The initial impression of this property were underwhelming. Admittedly it was Good Friday, and the parking lot was pretty empty (hence low occupancy? and I did hear the receptionist telling a colleague that as all guests had checked in before 5pm, there was little to do) As a platinum member, there was NO recognition of status, or any amenities offered. When questioned on something as simple as a bottle of water, was told there were some in the mini bar - available at cost (and like all mini bars, you could buy case for this amount) Wi-Fi was free in the lobby but pay in the room (forget the exact price but either $25 or $30 per 24 hour period) And that makes no sense - anyone can walk in and sit in the lobby and use the service, but paying guests in their room are charged! Breakfast is a buffet at $25 or $30 (again did not use, so not exactly sure of price) But from the large number of tour buses using this hotel - I m sure that this is their primary target group, and as long as the tour opertor is happy, the hotel is happy. If you stay here, because it is convenient for a place you have to be, then I can recommend the Coffee Club which is on the other side of the round about, reasonable, good and convenient. The beds were softer than I like (but this is personal preference) so some may like it. The Seats in the room were 2 very hard upright desk chairs, which were extreemly uncomfortable to sit on. NO lounge chair, you had to go to the lobby if you wish to be comfortable and read. Mind you the lighting was poor and only from perimeter lamps, so reading was not easy. The space in the bathroom vanity was minimal.
The soundproofing and curtains in the room were excellent, and kept out light and traffic noise..
If you have to be in the area, then I guess this hotel is a consideration, but it certainly does not qualify as a Crown Plaza in my opinion - maybe just a holiday inn Express!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank snoopy_lh
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel Sydney Norwest, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear snoopy_lh,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards member and for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow me to apologize for issues you had with your room accommodations and Internet Access services fell below your expectations. We are also sorry you we are not able to honor your Priority Club perks. Your feedback are very valuable to us as this assists us in providing excellent services and facilities we have to offer. Rest assured, we have taken note and your comments will be forwarded to the departments involved to take actions accordingly and future improvements. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Travelodge Hotel Blacktown
Novotel Sydney Rooty Hill
Novotel Sydney Rooty Hill
#1 of 1 in Rooty Hill

Been to Novotel Sydney Norwest? Share your experiences!