“South America at its Best!!”
Review of Picada - CLOSED

Picada
Cuisines: South American, Spanish, Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Went there yesterday with a couple of friends to try the amazing south american cuisine and tried the cheese empanadas, calamari with the poached pear, veal tongue and the roasted bone narrow bruschetta... (we'll be back for the carpaccio!!) all of them amazing paired with an orange wine from South Africa (A must to try if you like wines). For mains we had the slow cooked crispy pork belly and 2 serves of the Angus Sirloin cooked to perfection and as a recommendation we had the Argentinian Wine "Paisaje de Tupungato) a blend of Merlot/Cab Sab/Malbec just incredible. Finished with some churros and the always good affogato. Overall, food is amazing, cosy environment, great music and if you feel a bit cold ask to be seated next to the hearth (yes they do have one).

1  Thank Israel T

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I've lived in Balmain for 25 years...and would have to seriously contemplate saying this is the best food I've ever eaten in that time. Been coming to this restaurant over the years in all its different guises - this time they've nailed it - I really hope its here to stay.

Attentive service, beautiful decor, great menu, well priced and crackerjack of a wine list. My only complaint was that if you're going to take a large (and really rowdy) group booking on a Saturday night stick them upstairs so that everyone else doesn't have to suffer their noise. However, in saying that, the food was so good it masked that one inconvenience. We went for a selection of tapas - great selection, good size portions so 5 in total did just fine. Ask for recommendations and they'll only be too happy to help.

Congratulations guys - brilliant effort.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Went to this place with a group of friends, loved it from the sandstone walls, sumptuous atmosphere and exciting, adventurous food.
Highly recommend, will be double dating next time with the parents.
Chris and sandy

1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed June 19, 2014

The service was friendly and at tentative but never intrusive. The ambiance was relaxed and warm, with stone walls and candle lit tables.

To start we had empanadas, beef carpaccio and the roasted bone marrow bruschetta which was a unique way to have bruschetta, but definitely memorable and equally as delicious.

For mains, we had the crispy skin king salmon, confit pork belly and braised lamb breast, we coudln't decide which was the winner, but I had the lamb which was extremely flavoursome.

At this point in the meal, we were already quite full, but our sweet tooth's got the best of us, the creme brule was delectable while the churros with dulce de leche were off this planet, you'll die happy knowing that you ate them.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience and I would definitely go back again!

1  Thank Darwin G
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

I was looking forward to my dinner as I researched the place days in advance. At the time it was #1 in Balmain.

Well, It was good. Not great, but good. My appetizers were great but tiny. My sides were generic and huge. My lamb was delicious but fatty. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this cuisine. Still, I don't understand why this place was rated #1 in the whole town.

The waitress was nice, but every time I said "thank you", she would say "that's ok". I felt like I was constantly doing something wrong. I'm from they US, so it could have been a cultural thing.

I would still recommend this place. It's unique and has great ambiance. We need more restaurants like this. Just lower your expectations. Hence, 4 out of 5.