“2 courses excellent, disappointing desert.”
Review of Picada - CLOSED

Picada
Cuisines: South American, Spanish, Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Be sure to try the Scallops starter - really exquisite. A most unusual and wonderful mix of flavours and textures. I followed this with the Pork Belly. Lovely. As the title states, the desert was not up to the same standard. Actually there was only 1 choice available - chocolate mouse/tart (which was okay) with a scoop of Rosemary flavoured ice cream which was just weird. 3 of us had this option (no other choice left) and all were under awed.

It's a lovely venue. Service is very good. Menu choices are most interesting. Though it seems strange to have 8 or 10 starter options, 4 mains and 3 deserts only (and to have some of those unavailable).

We used a 'groupon' voucher so got very good value. But prices seemed pretty much in line with Balmain/Rozelle averages: $16 to 18 for starters and approx $30 for Mains.

My main tip - try the scallops!

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Went there with my fiancé and two other family members and had a whole bunch of the entrees which we ate as tapas. Some really tasty dishes especially the pan-fried calamari with poached pear and morcilla. The chorizo was also really good better than any place I've eaten it from. Wonderful friendly service as well to top off a great. Will be back again for sure!

1  Thank Jonathan5785
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I caught the ferry from the Circular Quay, and literally within 10 mins I was transported to the tranquility of Balmain, and it's beautiful sandstone houses, a world away from the busy-ness and kitschiness of the CBD. A short walk up Darling St, and you arrive at Picada, which has an air of relaxed sophistication and friendliness. I imagine you could quiet happily watch the world go by through the restaurants large front windows.

I went here with a group of friends for the 9 course degustation menu. And it was simply superb, the level of thought care and passion that went into the menu was truly amazing. Each course stood on it own merits, it was easy to appreciate the passion the chefs have for the food they produce, the ingredients and combinations are amazing.

The service is friendly but not overbearing, it is an enjoyable and relaxed atmosphere where you can enjoy the company of your friends, and soak up the atmosphere and the beautiful sandstone walls and exposed wooden ceilings. And if you are lucky, you may even get to meet the chefs at the end of your meal, and their love for creating great food is easy to see.

I cannot wait for my next trip to Sydney, and a visit to Picada will be on the top of to-do list.

1  Thank IrishPies
Reviewed February 20, 2014

At the water's end of Darling Street, Picada is a terrific dining addition to East Balmain. Come to think of it, it is a great dining addition to Sydney.
You can tell the chefs-owners - Vladimir Alemany and Roberto Araneda - take their food (and the look of their restaurant) seriously.
This is a tastefully decorated room (not too large, not too noisy, lighting just right), serving some seriously good modern Australian food with a South American twist.
Among the entrees we tried: cheese empanadas, bakes jalapenos with Spanish jamon (unusual, yes), and pickled saffron scallops in a salmorejo-style sauce, with basil oil. All perfect.
Mains are rather more limited: one fish, one pork, one beef and a risotto on the night we visited. The beef was good while the pork belly was excellent.
Not much of a choice in the sweets department, either: a chocolate tart and a peach combination. One or two extra offerings would have been good but frankly, this is a minor quibble.
The restaurant does not have a liquor license yet but it's coming.
Recommended.

2  Thank FellowTravellers2010
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I took my girlfriend there last night and had an amazing time. Food was amazing service was amazing. Couldnt ask for more in my dining experience definitely recommend going. I can garentee I will come back. Deserved the 5 stars