“Excellent curries, good service and nice decor”

Indian Palace Restaurant
Reserve with
Indian Palace Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 130 Restaurants in Balmain
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Balmain
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Excellent curries, good service and nice decor”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I've eaten here a number of times over the years and always thought the food was pretty good although it wasn't my absolute favourite curry house in Sydney. After this visit though I would have to say that it is quite possibly my favourite now.

The restaurant is nicely decorated with a clean and modern look. There are a few outdoor tables but it was too cold for that. They also have an upstairs dining area so have plenty of capacity.

The service was very attentive and they accommodated our custom request of a Paneer Makhani which is our favourite curry dish. Their version was absolutely sensational with a lovely rich & thick creamy tomato sauce. We also had a Malai Kofta which was also delicious and again the sauce was superb. The last dish we had was a Sagg Alu which was quite good although not my favourite version of this dish. Sauce was maybe a little too thick for my liking and it needed a bit more potato.

None of the dishes were very spicy so even the kids liked them which is a first! I am sure you can ask for spicier versions though if you so desire.

We had some plain naan, a cheese naan and a peshwari naan and they were all excellent. We also ordered Alu Tikki to start (potato cakes) and they were very tasty with a delicious plum sauce.

Although it's quite a bit more expensive than our usual curry house, all of the food was absolutely sensational and we will definitely be going back again despite it being quite a hike from where we live.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jase999

Kuching, Malaysia
“Its all about the Lamb Rogan Josh”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Once again the Indian Palace excelled itself for me and my UK family (Indian Curry experts).

I wish I had their Lamb Rogan Josh recipe, it is sublime. The Chicken Jalfrazi was also remarkable.

One small criticism, the Onion Bhajis (part of a mixed starter) we like flat "rissoles" with little character. Nothing like an Onion Bahji should be. Room for improvement there, but otherwise a lovely meal once again.

The Indian Palace seems to have held it's high standards for years now and in my experience remains one of the best Indian restaurants in Australia.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank qldflyer
Edinburgh
“It's all about the Butter Chicken”
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We had the usual holiday curry cravings and having read the reviews we thought we would give it a try. Good decision - excellent friendly service, and the Tandoori Fish and Butter Chicken were both delicious. We would go back and would definitely recommend.

Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Goat Curry and Plenty of It”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This place for my first evening meal out in Balmain. Pretty good curry all round, nicely and freshly spiced. Portions generous and value good. Rated average only against other 'Indian' meals had in London, India and Sri Lanka, not tried any other in Australia. Certainly provided a good dinner.

• Visited January 2014
Sydney, Australia
“We will keep coming back.”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We have been to the Indian Palace a few times now over the last couple of months and will continue to make the short trek from Leichhardt to enjoy the Indian cuisine.

The staff are welcoming without being intrusive and provide you with good advice in relation to your food choices.

The Beef Vindaloo was hot without being over the top and there was a great choice of entrees and other accompaniments. My wife loves the lemon rice.

It is nice to go to a restaurant and enjoy quality food in a clean environment. The various awards on the wall suggest we are not the only ones who think highly of this restaurant.

• Visited January 2014