“Slip-sliding away....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Artarmon
Mt Eliza, Australia
“Slip-sliding away....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Needed to update my previous review of RPH with some helpful criticism: The TV's and entertainment options are in bad need of an update. The internet is unreliable and expensive and the street noise is at times a real problem no matter where your room is. The front of the building is simply paper-thin and all the traffic static comes right through.

Simple put, the value of this place is slipping, in a big way.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Rachel D, Manager at Royal Pacific Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill in feedback. We are definitely aware of the issue with Televisions age, and are in the process of replacing throughout the hotel. Unfortunately, it will not be an instant fix, but we hope to have completed in the next four months.
The Pacific Highway is a fact of life for us. It has been there longer than the building. Most travellers comment on how quiet the rooms are - as all are on the non-highway side of the building. I would assume noise is relative for each guest. We would love to assist, but it is unlikely we can alter walls etc, to rectify this issue for you in case of future visits.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had the unfortunate experience of staying in this hotel for a week and I dont normally bother to write reviews but I feel so compelled to share my experience. But where to start! The room was very tired looking, worn out carpets, an old TV with the Foxtel's aspect ratio not matching the TV's (cant get the full screen in so when watching sport you cant see the scores or time). The bed was horrible! Lumps and bumps and sunk in the middle. Two of the days during my stay, housekeeping didnt even bother to make the bed! But what disgusted me the most was the stealing of money from the room. Granted it wasn't much, but on the first day I left about two dollars in loose change on the desk and when I got back to me room that night it was gone. The next day the same thing happened. On the third day I actually stacked the change up and low and behold the money was gone again. Not a lot of money but I was still disgusted of the blatant theft! As I mentioned in the title, the only saving grace of this hotel is the restaurant. The meals at dinner were fantastic and although the menu isnt extensive the food is FANTASTIC! Drinks are also well priced and they have a great drop called White Rabbit - a dark ale. On the topic of food, this hotel also charges an $8 tray surcharge for room service! Outrageous! Oh and the breakfast offered is also very poor in it's range - only continental. They also seem to think that two newspapers is sufficiently adequate to cover all the diners. Sadly, I have to go back to this hotel again as the Sydney office is close by but it wont be a stay that I will look forward to.

Room Tip: Choose a different place to stay!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank VicDocker
Rachel D, Manager at Royal Pacific Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you found the hotel so unsatisfactory.
We were certainly not made aware of any "stealing" - so this has taken us all by surprise. Guests have traditionally left a coin or two on the bedside table or desk, if they wish to tip the Housekeeper. Obviously this was not your intention. Please let us know the amount and we will refund this to you immediately. Housekeepers record all tips.
Rooms are serviced daily, and linen is changed twice a week. The only exception to this is if a guests puts out a DND sign. If anything is missed, we are only too happy to fix it at the time. If guests want the linen changed daily, this can be done with a small additional service fee.
Perhaps if you have an issue in the hotel during your stay, it might be resolved more quickly by advising us of this at the time. TV screens are adjusted all the time by guests and we are happy to remove mattress toppers if guests find them lumpy. I would really appreciate knowing a room number too for the worn carpet.
We really appreciate that you enjoyed our restaurant meals and drinks. Our new chef and winter menu has definitely proved popular.

Travelers are raving about these Artarmon hotels

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed here recently and found the place had a nice comfortable, warm "homely" atmosphere. In the evenings the management,. I found the management friendly and helpful, they also let me check in extra early with no fuss after getting off a international flight in the morning.
I ate most nights in the restaurant and found the food excellant. The chef was always very interested in his guests and would ask how the food was, and the servings were very generous(I'd say large).

I would definitely come again, as the price is very competitive for the location.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floors have a beautiful view.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. We are all enjoying the food our new chef is creating and the new winter menu. Thank you for taking the time to fill in Tripadvisor Feedback.
Cootamundra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Have stayed at this property many times when under different names; but this is my first experience of it as the Royal Pacific. It has been well made over, the bathrooms work, the beds are comfortable and it is fairly well located (Chatswood was quoting double the price with no guarantee of parking!).
Certainly the lack of evening meals 7 days is a disappointment, but the Great Northern is only five minutes walk and has a good bistro (even though it's a bit noisy).
And the other downside - well, if one wants to be on or close to Pacific Highway, one has to cope with a median strip preventing direct access to/from the southbound lanes - after I ignored Google maps I found a couple of easy ways of "going about", so no real problems there.

Room Tip: We took the cheapest room and perhaps lost a bit of view, so I'd buy on price alone.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback to Tripadvisor. We are really pleased that you are a returning guest to the hotel.
You are absolutely right - the Great Northern is and excellent bistro. We would love to have our own restaurant open at weekends, but find most visitors have plans to head into town or use one of our fabulous local restuarants. Fortunately, a large number of local restaurants offer free or small fee delivery to the hotel, for people that do want to stay in for the evening.
The Pacific Highway can be a challenge, but once you know the tricks, navigating it is safe and easy.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback.
Adelaide, South Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

clean, comfortable but could improve by fixing the TVs to get a decent picture and it would be nice if a small sofa could replace the small plastic chairs and table in the room. Breakfast is basic but certainly was adequete for my needs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I find my experiences quite the opposite to the other reviews written on this page ! The rooms definantly are not overpriced - you have to remember you are situated in the heart of the most convienient place on the north shore. Chatswood is only 5 mins drive up the road, and Lane Cove shops and dining places (if you must eat out) is only a 10 mins stroll ! The restaurant serves some of the best meals i have had in ages ( Duck in Black Cherry Sauce, Grilled salmon - done to perfection and the best salt and pepper squid i have tasted). The bar is adequately placed next to the restaurant , which is ideal for a drink before or with dinner and cocktails are now on the menu and delicious.

The rooms are perfectly suited to the person staying one night or a week or longer ! Very comfortable beds , a good neat size bathroom and coffee and tea facilities. You can also order take away coffee or teas - a great addition ! The staff are anything but rude or unfriendly and unwelcoming ! They great you with a smile on their face and always happy to assist you with any inquiry.

I suggest, these people who have made poor reviews either where too fussy in their expectations of this hotel. I have paid $450.00 a night at a hotel and paid a reasonable amount here, and found the level of service and expectations were on a par !

My opinion - Definently stay here. You will not be disappointed !

Room Tip: All rooms are away from the Highway, so noice is not a problem ! Any floor or room are all as good...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Maddy G
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Overpriced and no facilities open. Skeleton staff and a front desk guy that management really need to send to a Dale Carnegie course "How to win friends and Influence People". It seemed that my arrival was a very inconvenient time to interupt his navel gazing.

The alarm clock not working, theTV was hanging off its bracket. Did not feel welcome. Check out was just as unpleasant. I was there for a night on business. Next time I will gladly pay more to stay a professional hotel up the road that is happy for my business and will make me feel welcome.
It was pathetic!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rebeccal255100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Artarmon
BEST WESTERN Twin Towers Inn
Silkari Suites at Chatswood
Mantra Chatswood
Mantra Chatswood
#3 of 5 in Chatswood

Been to Royal Pacific Hotel? Share your experiences!