“We'll never back go, to the Marco Polo!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort

Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Phoenix, Arizona
“We'll never back go, to the Marco Polo!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

Occasionally I must preface my commentaries with a disclaimer that I truly believe many reviewers are inspired to carve out negative reviews when they are dissatisfied with the food, ambience, product or service in a fit of retribution, and those who have been satisfied by the experience, don't expend the energy writing anything, thus making a big chunk of reviews adversely slanted! I consistently try to be even-handed, and do not hold back the negative, but also try to underscore the positive – always my ‘opinion’ and those with me at the time and with the understanding that one good or bad review does not reflect a business’ overall potential, actual character or track record. That said, Marco Polo defies my ability to be somewhat lenient! Of all the travel accommodation experiences I’ve had in my lifetime, this is hands-down the worst! They couldn’t find confirmed reservation, despite having a reservation confirmation number, a payment confirmation number, and the name of the person who took the reservations! After arriving there they told us that even with credit card, they do not guarantee room holds. The counter folk had no manners, very inconsiderate and an extreme bad attitude! Electronic door locks did not work. The place smelled of old wet dog and carpet. We were moved to another room. They couldn’t find the right keys. No one offered help with bags. We were hassled and inconvenienced by valet parking – which I don’t believe is actually run by the hotel. The walls were paper thin, noisy all night long. Nearly no amenities available. Non-smoking room smelled of cigarettes and something dead. Had there been other accommodations available, we would have gladly gone, but unfortunately some major event had pretty much booked everything in the area. No one at any time expressed being sorry for the inconveniences. This may be my first totally negative review of a place, and I am usually one to give the benefit of the doubt, but this place doesn’t even deserve one iota of positive. Highly not recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GastroEclectico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Polish first
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

This hotel has it's up and downs like most hotels.. The great thing was we got upgraded to a ocean front view room free of charge. Which was great, the staff was supper friendly especially the young African American woman in the bar who also worked the lobby bar she was an asset to the hotel as well as King. The downfall was the breakfast was HORRIBLE!!!! In the shower you either had to take a steaming hot shower or a ice cold shower. Had a water leak in the A/C we called for maintenance the front desk was more then happy to help but once the maintenance man got there he pretty much planned us for the water leak. Other then that I would most certainly come back and recommend

• Stayed May 2014
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

It's a decent hotel, no real complaints other than the fact that it could use some updating. I was there for a conference. The rooms were decent, but the conference rooms were rather old, and honestly, a little mildewy. The carpets needed replacing and the AC should have been left on in those rooms. The beach is the main attraction here.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for ocean view as opposed to "city view". Worth the cost!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MarcoPoloBeachRes, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Dherlich,

Thank you for taking the time and write about your experience at the Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort during your conference. I am happy to announce that we are looking into renovating all the Conference rooms and hopefully by 2015 have a more appealing and renovated meeting room space along with all the renovations in our public areas. During 2013-14 we were able to fix up the Lobby, Pool Deck area, hallways and most of our rooms. It is a work in progress and we wanted to also have minimal impact in the guest experience. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have stayed at the Ramada Marco Polo in the past with friends from Canada and we had a great experience. It was for this reason that I chose once again this hotel for this Memorial Day weekend to have a special getway with my parents and sister since we are going through very hard times with my father's terminal illness. After I made the reservation for the oceanfront room, I contacted the hotel directly and spoke with Nellissa who transferred me to an angel by the name of Leonardo. I explained the situation with my father and asked for the necessary accomodation for my handicap father. Leonardo went out of his way to assist me and provided all the necessary equipment for my father's comfort.
Once we arrived, everything was as expected and more. Hector at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. Leonardo welcomed us personally and ensured that we had a great room that met our needs. The hotel room had a beautiful view with a very nice balcony. The room was very clean and very comfortable. The beach area and pool were awesome. All the staff at the hotel, including Leonardo's boss Paula, was very helfpul, professional and polite. My friends that came to visit were very impressed with the hotel and we all decided to come back again for July 4th long weekend. Also, this is a very family oriented resort.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Maggie A,

Thank you for staying with us this past Memorial Weekend. It pleases us to hear that Leonardo and Paula went above and beyond your expectations and made sure you had a wonderful time while here in Florida. Please let me know I can assist you personally in the future.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

Upon checking in I was looking around the Lobby, it was very large and had a lot of comfortable couches that you could lounge on while waiting for your room.

The staff for the most part was very friendly and attentive from the first day I checked in. Natalie at the front desk was very kind, quick, and her smile was a great & warming thing to see when first checking in, and even throughout my stay.

I had a nice breakfast in the Dining Room. I was greeted by Rose. Rose, Shawanna and the rest of the breakfast staff where a joy to see in the mornings. Even though it got full fast the ladies made sure as soon as people left they cleared the tables and reset them quickly.

The pool staff was wonderful and always had towels waiting. Kennedi stood out to me because of her upbeat attitude. Kennedi and the rest of the staff made it enjoyable and relaxing.

Out of the times I was at the pool, this one moment sticks out in my head. Sunday 5/18/14 I was thirsty and decided to get a Margarita before meeting friends on the beach. I walked up I saw the bartender (Maria), Maria must have thought her phone needed attention more than a paying customer, because her head was down, and she was typing away on her pink phone. After what seemed to be forever (probably 5 minutes) she finally looked up with a roll of the eyes and shake of the head type of attitude and the body language as if I was bothering her. I ordered a Margarita from her and it tasted different, but it wasn't worth taking back, because I was meeting friends on the beach. One of my friends who has worked as a bartender for 10+ years tried my Margarita. She asked why I got a Golden Margarita? She said they add Grand Marnier, which gives it a different taste compared to a regular Margarita.

The next morning I was heading to the beach and decided to try the bar again, this time there was a different bartender (Patty). I asked Patty for a Margarita and NOT a Golden Margarita. Patty was very friendly and made a delicious Margarita!

Later that day (my last night) I decided to give the Lobby Bar & Lounge/Restaurant a try. The bartender for both bars is named India, she was very polite and knowledgeable about what seemed like everything, and the drinks she made where on point! I asked her if she new what channel and time the basketball game was on? She told me that the game would be on inside the TNT Lounge at 9pm if I wanted to watch it in there, or it was on ESPN. I decided to have dinner with my friend in the Lounge, and the food was delicious. Our server Guillermo was very fast and polite.

My room had an breathtaking view! Fedeline my room attendant kept my room looking brand new, which made it easier to sleep at night.

I was very skeptical when I reserved my room, because of Trip Advisor reports, but since I took a chance and my stay was not bad except when waiting on Maria the bartender to attend to her cell phone before on her customer. I'd also have to thank her, because if it wasn't for her rudeness I wouldn't have been upset enough to write this review, but at the same time, all the great employees you have there wouldn't have gotten mentioned in my review.
At the end of it, I would and will come back in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank JaniceJ531
Dear JaniceJ531,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort. I am glad to hear that some of our staff made your stay more enjoyable. Thank you for mentioning their names. I also noticed your experience at the Pool Bar in one of your days was not as satisfactory, I am sorry to hear that. Please contact me directly in the future is there is anything I may be of assistance.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

Well, I have seen some of the reviews and note that they are all in the positive. On my visit to this hotel about 4.30pm I was given a room to which when I got to the elevator, Julio, a really REALLY nice man (reception clerk) stopped me and said that he gave me the wrong room. Said there would be a 30 minute wait for my room. When I returned he said that they were looking for 2 beds to be put in my room and there would be a further 1 hr wait. I returned after this time and was given a room key. When I opened this room there was already a person booked into it. I returned to reception and they said that they had had a big w'end and were still looking for the 2 beds. (Ugh ??) Finally the little manager bloke who resembled Manuel rushed around, gesturing in another language to Julio who finally gave me a key saying he is positive that it will be my room. So much for the reception to this hotel. Anyway, next morning I thought I had been transported in the night to Cuba when having breakfast which was pretty ordinary in comparison to other major hotels. The room was large and clean and I was on the 4th level with a view from the corner of the hotel building. Downstairs the Pizza was good and the beer at the right price. All other service personal were great with a 'star' to the Russian lad as the concierge. The valet manager (the smaller thin one) was also quite helpful. Valet charge of $13 is unavoidable and will be charged daily. Did not use the hotel restaurant, but heard from other guest that it is of good value.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the pool. The A/C hums a bit at night so I turned it off late.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MarcoPoloBeachRes, Operations Manager at Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Allan C,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience while staying with us!

We appreciate your mentions of the staff memebers.

Best regards from Sunny Isles Beach,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

Patty was absolutely fabulous ! Had great stories and made it fun to be there ! Always remembered what we were drinking and was on top of her game ! We never had to ask for anything, she always just had what we needed right there waiting ! Would definitely go back because of her !

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Leanna M,

We are glad to hear about your experience at the Pool Bar and your mention of Patty our fabulous bartender.

We'll make sure to give her your kuddos.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunny Isles Beach
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
Deauville Beach Resort
#167 of 206 in Miami Beach
3.0 of 5 bubbles 4,494 reviews
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,297 reviews

Been to Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!