“Horrible hotel - stay away”

Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Horrible hotel - stay away”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We arrived at the hotel by car. Valet parking was very chaotic, staff barely spoke English, they were all very confusing. The inside of the hotel looked like the last renovation was forty years ago. The reception staff and concierge were not interested at all and not helpful. Their English was not good either. One exception for the staff at the lounge bar/restaurant. They were very friendly, and the food was good. The room was a disaster. It was in a terrible condition, badly maintained, old, very dirty, smelly and noisy. Housekeeping could not even change light bulbs, therefore it was too dark to read in the room. The beach behind the hotel was very small, so that people nearly sat on top of each other. There was also a lot of dust and noise from the pool that was being renovated. The breakfast was a total chaos with staff running around inefficiently. Stay away from this place!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Isa-2316
MarcoPoloBeachRes, Operations Manager at Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear isa-2316,

Thank you for your feedback!

best regards,

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I did not like it that they did not have Sanitary bags and you had to boil water in a sauce pan to make your self a cup of tea at least the Breakfast was very good. Henk and Ria Nieuwenhuizen
we bought a piza in the Piza shop and I became violently ill

Room Tip: No we do not have photos to share
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Henk46,

Thank you for your feedback!

best regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 1, 2013

The hotel is located perfectly - direct on the beautiful beach but it is old and falling apart. "Complementary internet" is a joke - the speed is so low that I could not download a picture. I checked it - it was 0,2 mbt, it's like a dual-up! "Complementary breakfast" was eatable but the dinning room smells not like roses. The facet at the bathroom was leaking. The air condition made funny sounds - but it was not so funny at nights. The widow frame has a hole and we could listen to the wind because of that:)) A pool was closed for reconstruction.
I booked the hotel via Expedia and when I came there a girl at the reception said that it would be a small "upgrade" - they gave me a room with a kitchenette (which I didn't need absolutely). OK, but a bed was really small for two of us (smaller than a queen!) and a mattress was not flat (so my husband got a neck pain).
When I wanted to give my husband's shirt for laundry I was told that I'd have to give it to the concierge (!) I did but the concierge was very surprised:) Hope I was not the first one who used the laundry service there.
We noticed a dead cockroach in the closet.
I met (twice) a strange woman in the hotel elevator with a huge bag full of paper towels, shampoo, soaps, etc from the hotel. She was not in the uniform. She didn't look like an employee. She took the bag outside the hotel.
It was my mistake to book that hotel - don't repeat it!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank olga v
Dear Olga V,

Thank you for your review.
We will discuss your feedback with our management staff.

Bets regards,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Just checked in. Took 15 minutes of wait to get to front desk person. My TSA agent was more pleasant than the lady on the front desk.

Pool is closed for construction. We are told that they provide chairs and towels at the beach free of charge. Yet to check that.

Room is very spacious and nicely appointed bed and clean linen but run down. Good view of the ocean from large window.

Bathroom is very old and paint coming off the bathtub. My 4 year wasn't ready to go in the tub because she thought it was dirty.

They had no towel and we had to call the front desk to get some. It arrived in 10 mins.

More to come... We are here for 3 days.

Stayed November 2013
Thank you for your review.

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We recently stayed here for a family football weekend. When we checked in, we were initially told that the three rooms we had reserved were not on the same floor in spite of asking for connecting rooms if possible as well as an extra cot for each room. Neither of those requests were acknowledged. However, when I voiced my disapproval and that I felt we should somehow be compensated for not having our needs met, they were able to find rooms all on the same floor but not next to each other which actually worked out fine. And, we didn't need the extra cots as the children were so exhausted at the end of the days that they fell asleep in the same bed immediately!

The rooms were very clean and the beds were most comfortable. The bathrooms could have used a spray or two of Clorox on the tub caulking as one could see slight mold in some places. Living in South Florida is always a challenge with regard to humidity and mold. Even though I had requested all of the same type room, only 2 out of the three had a fully equipped kitchen area. And remember, this hotel is modeled on a lot of European hotels and they do not provide bath cloths so if you need to have a bath cloth when you bathe or shower, BRING YOUR OWN!

You have to remember that this is an old hotel that must have really been something in it's "heyday". The lobby is dated but to me that is part of the "old Miami" I remembered as a child. My grandson said, "it smells like Mimi's house".......I asked my contractor son what that meant and he told me "mold"........so if you have a bad mold allergy, you may not want to stay here. There is clearly a sign that says, "keep your sliding glass door closed" (due to humidity) so if other visitors do not adhere to that.....shame on them!

You do need to be aware of extra costs but that was clearly stated when I made reservations. The pool was closed for renovations which would have been nice to know about prior to our arrival as we had really geared the kids up for the pool........however, the weather was bad so it really didn't matter that we were even on the beach.........had the weather been nice, the hotel did provide towels, chaises and umbrellas at no cost d/t pool closure.

Our saving grace was that there was a Tiki Bar that was open in the AM, so for those family members who needed an alcoholic "pick me up" to start the day, it was available.......but not cheap....$10.00 for a Bloody Mary......but we could bill it to our rooms so we didn't care......

Breakfast buffet was a typical continental buffet with pre-packaged muffins, yogurt, fruit, bananas, French toast or pancakes, oatmeal and an assortment of cereals...sweet(corn flakes and fruit loops) and unsweetened, (bran flakes), assorted sweet rolls, bagels, bread for toasting, juices, coffee and teas. You could order additional hot food for an extra charge.....omelet, eggs, sausage, bacon......our waiter was extremely nice and very helpful........I wish I could remember his name.

Parking was by valet and be prepared that it is extremely congested on Friday and Saturday nights......and since we did some room swaps after we checked it, the valet got confused but he was quite astute and figured out that I was being charged to two vehicles.......and he made it right. HIs name was Octavio and he was absolutely wonderful!! Most of that was my fault as I had never had to valet park my car before and didn't know the "rules".

I would stay here again now that I know what to expect. For a weekend family get away, it worked quite well for us!

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view are probably best but if you have small children, I would not use the balcony...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear ParisGirl 002,

Thank you for sharing your story with the TripAdvisor community!

Best regards from sunny Miami,

Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The hotel was ok, Nothing special, even though all personnel is friendly, beware of hidden costs not clearly stated when you book. You will have a $13 daily charge on top of the resort fee. This supposely cover 2 bottles of water when you arrive, towel for the pool and beach (even though the pool is closed for renovations and access to beach is limited), newspaper (that you have to go downstairs to the crappy restaurant and pick-it up by yourself) and some other basic services that you think should be included in a Hotel. Also you have a $18 daily if you have a car, for a Valet service that parks you car in the public parking in front of the Hotel. Worst of all, if you think that because the all-you-can-eat breakfast is what you are looking for, you'll be dissapointed. It only includes coffe, milk, cereals, fruits, orange juice, toast or bagels and avena. Anything else is not included and the service there to say is terrible is being nice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sebastian,

Thank you for your feedback.

bets regards,

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The hotel is old and neglected. The rooms nothing special. The front desk staff was uninterested Our "ocean view" was a glimpse of the beach from a dirty window but more view of an old lot beside the hotel. The pool was being renovated and the gym closed. The free breakfast was sub-standard. I would not say that this hotel was good value for your money, I thought it was the worst Ramada hotel I've stayed in. I wouldn't stay there again, neither would I recommend it to my friends and family.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank J H
Deat J H,

We are very disappointed with your review.
Please note we have an alert in every website reflecting this information.
If you wish to further discuss your stay, please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly.

Best regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunny Isles Beach
Sole on the Ocean
Sole on the Ocean
#3 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
#5 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach

Been to Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!