“Overall a very good stay....except.........”

Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Durham, North Carolina
“Overall a very good stay....except.........”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We recently stayed here for a family football weekend. When we checked in, we were initially told that the three rooms we had reserved were not on the same floor in spite of asking for connecting rooms if possible as well as an extra cot for each room. Neither of those requests were acknowledged. However, when I voiced my disapproval and that I felt we should somehow be compensated for not having our needs met, they were able to find rooms all on the same floor but not next to each other which actually worked out fine. And, we didn't need the extra cots as the children were so exhausted at the end of the days that they fell asleep in the same bed immediately!

The rooms were very clean and the beds were most comfortable. The bathrooms could have used a spray or two of Clorox on the tub caulking as one could see slight mold in some places. Living in South Florida is always a challenge with regard to humidity and mold. Even though I had requested all of the same type room, only 2 out of the three had a fully equipped kitchen area. And remember, this hotel is modeled on a lot of European hotels and they do not provide bath cloths so if you need to have a bath cloth when you bathe or shower, BRING YOUR OWN!

You have to remember that this is an old hotel that must have really been something in it's "heyday". The lobby is dated but to me that is part of the "old Miami" I remembered as a child. My grandson said, "it smells like Mimi's house".......I asked my contractor son what that meant and he told me "mold"........so if you have a bad mold allergy, you may not want to stay here. There is clearly a sign that says, "keep your sliding glass door closed" (due to humidity) so if other visitors do not adhere to that.....shame on them!

You do need to be aware of extra costs but that was clearly stated when I made reservations. The pool was closed for renovations which would have been nice to know about prior to our arrival as we had really geared the kids up for the pool........however, the weather was bad so it really didn't matter that we were even on the beach.........had the weather been nice, the hotel did provide towels, chaises and umbrellas at no cost d/t pool closure.

Our saving grace was that there was a Tiki Bar that was open in the AM, so for those family members who needed an alcoholic "pick me up" to start the day, it was available.......but not cheap....$10.00 for a Bloody Mary......but we could bill it to our rooms so we didn't care......

Breakfast buffet was a typical continental buffet with pre-packaged muffins, yogurt, fruit, bananas, French toast or pancakes, oatmeal and an assortment of cereals...sweet(corn flakes and fruit loops) and unsweetened, (bran flakes), assorted sweet rolls, bagels, bread for toasting, juices, coffee and teas. You could order additional hot food for an extra charge.....omelet, eggs, sausage, bacon......our waiter was extremely nice and very helpful........I wish I could remember his name.

Parking was by valet and be prepared that it is extremely congested on Friday and Saturday nights......and since we did some room swaps after we checked it, the valet got confused but he was quite astute and figured out that I was being charged to two vehicles.......and he made it right. HIs name was Octavio and he was absolutely wonderful!! Most of that was my fault as I had never had to valet park my car before and didn't know the "rules".

I would stay here again now that I know what to expect. For a weekend family get away, it worked quite well for us!

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view are probably best but if you have small children, I would not use the balcony...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
MarcoPoloBeachRes, Operations Manager at Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear ParisGirl 002,

Thank you for sharing your story with the TripAdvisor community!

Best regards from sunny Miami,

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Polish first
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The hotel was ok, Nothing special, even though all personnel is friendly, beware of hidden costs not clearly stated when you book. You will have a $13 daily charge on top of the resort fee. This supposely cover 2 bottles of water when you arrive, towel for the pool and beach (even though the pool is closed for renovations and access to beach is limited), newspaper (that you have to go downstairs to the crappy restaurant and pick-it up by yourself) and some other basic services that you think should be included in a Hotel. Also you have a $18 daily if you have a car, for a Valet service that parks you car in the public parking in front of the Hotel. Worst of all, if you think that because the all-you-can-eat breakfast is what you are looking for, you'll be dissapointed. It only includes coffe, milk, cereals, fruits, orange juice, toast or bagels and avena. Anything else is not included and the service there to say is terrible is being nice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sebastian,

Thank you for your feedback.

bets regards,

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The hotel is old and neglected. The rooms nothing special. The front desk staff was uninterested Our "ocean view" was a glimpse of the beach from a dirty window but more view of an old lot beside the hotel. The pool was being renovated and the gym closed. The free breakfast was sub-standard. I would not say that this hotel was good value for your money, I thought it was the worst Ramada hotel I've stayed in. I wouldn't stay there again, neither would I recommend it to my friends and family.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank J H
Deat J H,

We are very disappointed with your review.
Please note we have an alert in every website reflecting this information.
If you wish to further discuss your stay, please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly.

Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

We visited the hotel for 3 nights before a cruise. I called to arranage a cot for my baby 3 weeks before we arrived. No cot was available and the room was dirty. The manager said it was on a first come first serve basis! We were also not told that there was an extra charge for a 3rd adult breakfast. Overall shocking. Im really easy going and this hotel made me furious and even then the manager said well complain over the Internet and
walked off!!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear WeLoveHolidays...
Thank you for your feedback.

We will look into this right away.

Petach Tikva, israel
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Recntly had a brief stay in Miami Beach. Rooms are clean front desk staff very helpfull. The location is excellent and I was not faced with some of the difficulties other reviewers had. The helpfullness of the management is almost like staying with family.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kenneth K
Dear Kenneth K,

Thank you very much for your review!
We are thrilled to hear about your experience at the property.

Best regards from Sunny Miami,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Staying at a Condo facing the Ocean on the Fifth floor.Comfortable beds, nice large TV.
Fully equipped kitchen. Friendly staff in every department in particular the staff at the concierge and the fitness center.Miriam who runs the fitness center,she is also a massage therapist and very knowledgeable with the equipment and nutrition.It is my second year that I stay at Marco Polo and I planning to return again next year.

Room Tip: Corner units are large and sunny.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Haroutioun G
MarcoPoloBeachRes, perations Manager at Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Haroutioun G,

We appreciate your time leaving us a review!

Looking forward to hosting your next stay while in South Florida.

Willingboro, New Jersey
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Check in process was a breeze. Room 817 gave a pinhole view of water, probably not the ocean and with fluorescent yellow cabinets in a dated kitchenette with block glass tile separating the bathroom from the sleeping areas, I knew we needed an upgrade. The front desk customer service personnel was super. Maria switched us to room 647 which had granite countertop,
up to date microwave, improved cabinetry and more importantly an ocean view. For 6 days, the continental breakfast alternated between pancakes or frenchtoast, daily oatmeal, breakfast cereals, bagels, bread, pastries. Breakfast meats were priced at 2.95/order and gratuity additional. The pool was typical in nature but chair and umbrella rental for the day was 35.00 on the beach. The pool bar was pricey as was the lounge inside. Overall the hotel was dated but for the location-remember free shuttle to the mall, convenient access to 95 and midway between Fort Lauderdale and Miami, it was bearable. Parking is 18.00/day and a tax of 10.00/night upon checkout. Marie B of support services did an excellent job keeping our room clean and fresh. Compliments to all the as they were friendly, professional .and personable

Room Tip: Partial ocean view, ie rooms 649 to 643 seemed to give a beautiful of the ocean. You may hear foots...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank veesreview
Dear Veesreview,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripADvisor community!

We truly appreciate it!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunny Isles Beach
Sole on the Ocean
Sole on the Ocean
#3 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
#5 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Deauville Beach Resort
Deauville Beach Resort
#169 of 208 in Miami Beach

Been to Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!