“Screeching birds in lobby!”

Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Previous reviewers have described the rooms accurately so I'll just mention some things about our stay...our friends got married here, and we stayed one night after attending the ceremony and reception. I wouldn't really recommend it as a wedding location, since the room where they had the ceremony was very ugly and you could hear kids screaming their heads off nearby. Then the reception had an open bar (the bar in the hotel, which is huge) but they had no Bloody Mary mix. I found that really disappointing. Couldn't they send someone out to get some, at some point in the long evening? No. After the reception we did enjoy sitting in the hot tub on the pool deck. I think it's open till 10 pm but no one kicked us out, we were there till about 11 pm. DIdn't get to enjoy the beach or pool since we had to leave at 6 am the next morning.
Checking in was a huge pain in the neck. The counter was way understaffed and the employees were overwhelmed by irate guests who were furious about something that had gone wrong with their luggage service or check-in. Our room was not ready when we arrived, so we had very little time to get changed and ready for the wedding. Instead we had to wait in the lobby, which was not too pleasant because a couple of big cages there contained screeching birds (enough to pierce your eardrums and put you in a bad mood for the rest of the day) and the Starbucks/coffee shop inexplicably closed at 2:30 pm.
We parked across the street, which was a bit hard to figure out (entrance is not obvious) but $12 is better than we feared we'd have to pay.
It is nice that there are so many shops and restaurants within walking distance. My friend actually bought shoes for the wedding at Marshall's across the street, hours before the ceremony.
Overall, it was OK, but the check-in process needs to be improved, and get rid of those damn birds!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank flyermontana
Write a ReviewReviews (3,600)

Reviewed January 11, 2011

We stayed at the Newport for three days before our cruise and I am glad picked it. First of all the location is great. There is parking across the street but it wasnt a problem for us. My favorite part of the trip was getting up before the rest of my family. Gettign a Starbucks coffee from the lobby and going out to sit on the beach and read my book. Ahh it was so relaxing. The hotel has some kind of activity for the kids all day. We were swimming and out and about so we did not participate in very many. The hotel room was nice but we were in the older part of the hotel so the room could use some updating.The room was very large so that makes up for it. Everyone was very polite and we would return here if ever in Miami.
Now the things we did while here. We went to the Miami Sea aquarium and it was a fun day. The shows are great and my kids were soaked from the play area but still a place they talk about today. It was a little overpriced but since they still talk about it it was worth it. The next day we went to Gatorland and took an airboat ride and watched the alligators feed. This was quite a drive from the hotel but again worth the it. Wear sandals if you go on the boat ride your feet will get wet. and you should stay to watch the alligators feed. wow it was something to watch them. The last thing I would recommend is going to the state park where the aquarium is located.. We rented bicycles and it was just a beautiful bike ride along the water. Hope this helps.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Wife and I been here 3 days, two left to go and writing this review from Sunny Isles Newport beachside.
Here is the good, the bad and the ugly on this resort. First off, I did a price line negotiator and bought a category 3.5 star in miami beach and this is where they put me. So if you want oceanside hotel, (resort is way too generous) this is the way to go. I paid 105 per night, and travel sites put it at $150/night. I would have been mad had I paid $150 plus taxes, plus $12 "resort fee" plus $12 daily self parking. Valet parking is $18 per day. Not a resort, an OK hotel with a great location, yes.
Good news....
The beach is the best part! Great beach and plenty of chairs provided. You can walk forevever in either direction.
Close to alternative restaurants, CVS drug store, Einstein bagels for coffee in the morning.
Bathroom was very nice with jazuzzi soaking tub and king size bed. We had two 24" boat anchor old TV's and uncomfortable sofa sleeper to use as a couch. There was a room divider that could come in handy if one wanted to stay up late and watch TV. Also room had refrigerator and microwave so kept diet cokes, beer and water in room. High spped internet worked fine and that plus the workout made me not feel totally hosed at $12 per day resort fee.

Bad news...
The highrise buildings cast shadows over the pools so no afternoon sun poolside. The pool area was vacant due to the chilly shade from the tall building. Fortunately the nice sandy beach was there. We had to keep moving the chairs in the sand toward the water to stay in the sun. Very chilly in the shade with the strong breezes and only kids were using the pool.
No place on premises sells coffee before 7AM! plus no in-room coffee pot to make my own. So every Iday walked across the street and bought coffee at Einsteins. They give you a microwave and refrigerator in the room plus utensils plates cups and saucers, not no coffee maker. I figure they want to make you buy room service for coffee if you want one before 7AM.
Timeshare sales pitch is annoying but do not get sucked into a "free" dinner for a 90 minute presentation. My wife and i are down here looking to buy a foreclosure condo and the guy shutup. This place has a timeshare component and i would not suggest you trade for this place, you should do better.
The realtor we are working with mentioned this area is affectionately referred locally as "Little Russia" A lot of russian restaurants and shops and the town of Sunny isles is teaming with Russian nationals here on vacation. I sensed russian mafia here, some wierd things i do not want to post, but I sensed crooked money here.
The drinks and food automatically add 18% tip and 9% tax to everything so avoid drinking in the bar or eating in the restaurant. Kitchen 305 looked nice, but for $65 per person I could get a far better meal at Ruths' Chris steak house. If you have a car, find elsewhere to eat. Plenty of restaurant choices within walking distance, so we had a lot of fun finding different places to eat every night.

At the price point we paid thumbs up, out the door including taxes $125 before the $12 self parking and 12 resort fee made it worthwhile. Had i pay $150 plus taxes plus resort and parking I would have been ticked off.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank wingnuttzz
Reviewed January 5, 2011

(Note: this property was formerly called Westgate Miami Beach and sometimes if you're doing a search this still comes up, which can be confusing.) We spent a week at the Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort on a time share special through Interval International. It was to be a "free" week, but as it turned out, there were some incidental charges, like $12/day for parking and a charge for an "activity fee" if (at least this was our experience) you wanted wireless...and a small coffeemaker in the room. I will admit that my overall impression of Newport Beachside was colored by the fact that we had pretty chilly temperatures for the whole week. Most days were cold and windy. This place is all about being on the beach, so if you can't go into the surf or use the pool, there's not much left. I would be curious to know what the range of rooms offered is like. Ours had a king and a sofa, and it was pretty cramped. The whole unit was covered in mirrors, so you can interpret that look however you like. The bathroom had been updated but the rest of the room was starting to look a bit beat. The kitchenette consisted of a dorm-size refrigerator, a small microwave, and an additional sink. All rooms have a sideways-view of the beach, the north side with windows and the south side with balconies. One photo that I've included shows the nice beach view...but don't turn your head at all to the right. The balconies directly face La Perla, which is an attractive, upscale highrise next door. Newport Beachside being a lower-rise building, the straight-on view looks directly at La Perla's parking garage, which is particularly unattractive after dark when the garage is all lit up from within. And the downward view is of tar beach, the expansive flat roof of Newport Beach's lobby and common areas. The door to our balcony was literally falling off its hinges, and the windows and metal details were very corroded from the salt air. We made out OK for the week, since we had a rental car and really only slept at the resort. With the "deal" we had, the price was right, so expectations weren't high to begin with. The bed, BTW, was a pretty unforgiving platform bed. The resort is located along a strip of dramatic, high-rise condos that were built during the boom. Newport Beachside is clearly the oldest and lowest unit in the immediate area. It's holding up adequately for now, but I'm wondering how it's going to be looking in a couple years' time. We did not eat in the restaurants there so I cannot comment on that. There are several decent restaurants located in strip shopping centers across Collins Avenue that are within walking distance. There is a picturesque old fishing pier next door to the hotel but it's closed to the public and looks like it needs some work. I would advise that unless you're planning to stay at Newport Beachside Resort in prime beach weather, you'd be better off going elsewhere, since the location is not particularly convenient to anything of interest.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2011

The hotel was very nice, specifically the beach and poolside area. It had a real feel of being at a resort, along with the outragous prices drinking poolide, 2 Pina Colada's $22 and change with tip included. The hotel was decent, I had a suite with an awesome whirlpool tub I found a long hair in the tub and it didn't belong to me. The best thing about this place was the Seven Seas Spa that's located in the sublevel of the hotel....Wow...what a value for your money. Everything else about the hotel was overpriced as to be expected, but the spa made up for it. Also, there's a club in the lobby and I think Thursday nights is it's night, the lobby was packed with young 20 somethings, my husband thought they were hookers, that's how far out of the club scene we are. I told him no, just club patrons. Overall the place was great! I would return.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2010

stayed there for the second time

3 days from 12/2/ until 12/5 and 3 days from 12/26 until 12/29
1) first room was pool viwe, renovated, nice, but sofabed very uncomfortable
flat screen tv nive, microwave, fridge, coffeemaker
2) second room older room with divider and older regual tv but sofabed much better
sitting area, 2 tvs, no coffee maker (said that no room has a coffee maker any more, which is weird because we had one tweo weeks earlier)

3)breakfast:
pro: good, good variety on bread and sweet pastries, fruit, joghurt, cornflakes, eggs, bacon, potatos, french toast and oatmeal
con: no cheese or/and ham for breakfast, only scrambled eggs no fried eggs (extra costs), extras aside from the buffet are VERY expensive ...

4) pool area: ok, enough chairs, separate kids pool
5) marshalls, einstein bagel, cvs and dennys in walking distance, supermarket across strees
6) staff: friendly and helpfull
7) free internet/ wifi in rooms and lobby !!

overall: I stayed there 2 years ago and it was a little better and less expensive but I still would stay there again because it is overall a good hotel with good amenities in great location and I like sunny isles

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Smellycat1979
Reviewed December 29, 2010

No lifeguards. No sun on pool deck after 12:30. No heat in rooms at all and it was cold over Christmas. They ran out of pillows, only one pillow in room per person. Second double bed was a crap fold out couch and no desk in room. The pier is off-limits since Katrina. Little comfort in the rooms; everyone was complaining about it, my room was a renovated one and it was dumpy and mold in bathroom, running toilet, dirty trays. Dead seagull on beach and when I told an employee he told me to call the city. Tiny jacuzzi and not hot. Just a completely useless hotel, although fairly pricey; find another hotel if you want this area, especially during cooler months. The business center was crap.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family