“We Were Treated Like Royalty! The Most Amazing Mother Daughter Trip!”

Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Greenwood, Indiana
“We Were Treated Like Royalty! The Most Amazing Mother Daughter Trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2009

I booked an ocenview suite at The Newport Beachside Resort for myself and my 27 year old daughter for a 5 day R&R getaway. What we got far exceeded our expectations!

The arrival area and lobby were absolutely stunning with a grand reception desk, sparkling gift shops and restaurants and concierge desk. The desk staff was friendly, courteous and efficient, we were checked in and on the way to our room in minutes. The hotel offers bell service as well as valet parking.

Our room was perfect with two televisions, a king bed and a Murphy bed tucked behind a sofa and occasional table. Ammenities included a safe, microwave, small refrigerator, ironing board and iron as well as a blow dryer and ALL Bath and Body Works toiletries. The bath was marble tiled and included a deep, Jacuzzi jetted tub and plenty of crisp, fluffy, white towels and washcloths. Our beds were firm and comfortable and the linens were changed to crisp clean ones daily by the friendly cleaning staff. The view from our patio was breathtaking!! We spent many hours there just lisening to the waves hit the shore and enjoying the tropical breezes. Our room was neat, tidy and extremely comfortable.

The beach was second to none. The staff was out early combing the sand and preparing the Tiki Huts for the day. You can rent a hut for $20 daily or an umbrella (personally placed by the beach staff) for $10 per day. All lounge chairs are free and there's plenty of space for sunning and playing. There is sand volleyball available as well as a playground, basketball goal and jet ski rentals. The resort also has beachside showers and foot showers for getting off the excess sand and salt before heading indoors. Thirsty or hungry? No worries, as there are beach waitresses ready to bring you a meal, snack or tropical drink. The beach staff was amazing and they'd do anything to make us comfortable! Forget your sunscreen? You can purchase some as well as beach towels and other necessities just steps from the beach, poolside. There is always music playing and sometimes even a steel drum band which adds to the amazing tropical atmosphere!

The pools are crystal clear, large and very well kept. They include a huge main pool and a baby pool and are surrounded by a beautiful stonework deck with tables and chairs with umbrellas and matching lounge chairs. There is also a bar and restaurant right there so you can enjoy any meal while the ocean breezes blow through your hair.

The Newport is unsurpassed for family fun. Every day we had an activities schedule delivered to our room and some of the activites included seashell hunts, poolside horse races, coloring contests and cookie decorating for the kids as well as Karaoke, Bingo, jewely auctions, henna tattoos and champagne receptions for the adults.

You may never need to leave this resort as they have two full service restaurants, three gift shops, an arcade, spa, wellness center and a nice little coffe shop with cold drinks, snacks, fresh fruit, salads and pastries. The prices are reasonable and vary by which restaurant you choose to frequent.

If you want to venture out, there is plenty within walking distance! There is shopping, restaurants, liquor store, botiques and a grocery just a couple a blocks away. Need souvineers? I highly recommend Wings for everything from tee shirts and alligator heads to swim suits, post cards and hats.

A must visit is the Pelican Restaurant on the pier. No need to run in from the beach, shower and change....oh no! Come as you are with beach head and flip flops for an unforgettable meal and some of the nicest staff in Sunny Isles. I highly recommend the fish and chips as well as the made-to-order angus burgers. This open sided, Tiki style restaurant is all about atmosphere, so if you're a five star kind of person, opt for the 503 at the hotel, but if you're a laid back, relax and have a good time person, the Pelican is for you! And don't forget the camera, as the hijinks of the pelicans are not something you want to miss!

A huge thank you to Armando, Steve, Amos and Johnathon (as well as many others) who made our mother-daughter trip magical and made us feel like royalty! We WILL be back.....and next summer, we're bringing the entire family!

• Stayed June 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
Knoxville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

We were going on a cruise , NCL SKY, so we got to Miami a day early. We booked a room at Newport Beach not having ever seen the place. We also booked 2 nights after the cruise. We were very surprised to find the hotel even nicer than the pictures. The staff was terrific and the rooms were clean. I run a B&B so I can be a little critical sometimes, however I was very happy . The NCL Sky was the most wonderful experience in cruising I have ever had. If you have never done Free Style Cruising check it out. It is a horse of a different color. Upon our arrival back in Miami we went back to Newport Beach Side to find out they had somehow over booked the hotel, I was not pleased to say the least. However before I could get ramped up the people at the front desk called a partner property just down the street and paid for our cab and off we went. I was a little nervous about this, not knowing where we were going. The resort they sent us to was Le Meridian, a Starwood Resort. It was out of this world. If you don't believe me look it up. They put my wife, my 10 year old daughter, and I up in a 2 room suite with a full kitchen at there expense. Everyone makes mistakes but it is what we do about them that counts. I can not thank the staff at the Newport Beach Side Hotel enough.They handled a tough situation with class and speed. I highly recommend them for there resort and service.
Thomas
www.cookloft.com

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

I stayed in this hotel with my daugther and sister in June, 2009 hoping for the best vacations ever. The lobby looks really nice but once you get a room in the second floor (room 215) we notice the smell of urine in the halls. We left $400 cash in our luggage in the room and the cleaning lady stole it. When we noticed we made a complaint and a police report the police was very helpful but the general manager was not at all, he said we should have not let our money inside our room because they were not liable and if the room service people feel like taking our belongings they could. Devistated by this we also asked for a new room that night due to mystarious bites in our bodies while we were asleep, they denied it to us untill our 5th day there and after complaining to 4 different managers they provided me with another room. When coming back home we where informed by the emergency doctors that we all had bed bugs from the hotels matress. I gathered information from other guests and one guy told me that his son was getting a rash in his stomach, another lady said her $200 lotions were missing and another man told me that their first day they noticed itching in their skin as well. The hotel only has 2 washer and 1 dryer that works, it took me from 7pm to 1:30am to finish washing and drying because of how poorly they work . I will stop here because otherwise I might finish writting a book but what ever you do don't stay there or less you want bed bug bites....

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Independent040
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

My family and I stayed in May and had a great time. We took a two room suite and it worked out great for my Daughter of 15, who had her own room with partition, and my son who had a pull down double bed in the lounge area. My Wife and i had a 6ft bed in our own separate room. The single bathroom would have been a problem though if we were staying for a long break.

The hotel has a great position right on the beach which is great if you want to switch between poolside and sea all day long. The pool had ongoing activities which were all included and this was fun without being too forced - if you wanted to chill you were left alone. We had great fun and the kids loved the free hair braids , henna tattoos etc.

Finally a shout for Michelle Theodule, the front desk manager, she was happy to resolve any issues, she and all of the staff obviously enjoyed working at the resort and everyone was in good spirits. As we checked out a couple beside me commented that it was their 20th year of coming to the Newport - having stayed there I can see why, we will definately return.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank basildonian
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2009

The only good thing that I can say about this hotel, is that they upgraded us to an executive suite with ocean view when they did not have the regular room with ocean view that I had reserved. However, the AC in our room was not working right. We had the air turned completely cold and the bedroom side of the suite stayed warm while the couch/kitchen side became so cold that the vent was condensating. To top this off, our bathroom had black mold in the shower and on the wall. When I told these things to the front desk they did nothing but say that they would make note of it.

We also ate breakfast at their restaurant, Ocean Reef. When I ordered a diet coke, our server gave me regular. Being a diebetic, this is a big deal to me. I drank two glasses before I realized the difference.

This hotel does have a very nice lobby...I just wish I could say the same about the rest of the hotel. We only stayed one night in the Newport Beach Side resort and will never go back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
EnekoG
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

I stayed at this hotel from May 21-26 of 2009. I was wowed by the hotel's lobby. It is very nice and upscale. We had good service and nothing to complain about. I had booked a suite and expected way more but it was ok but i wouldnt consider it a suite. The liens and curtains looked liked somthing that would be in a Motel 6. I think this is a place to stay if you have children and want a vacation/get away with everything you need at the resort. Parking does cost $15 dollars a day for valet or ten for self parking which Im not sure where self parking was. i would not stay her if you want to be closer to South Beach. South Beach is like a 10-15 minute drive away based on traffic. However the hotel is on a nice beach.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

This hotel is a gem on the Collins Avenue strip and although it's circa 1980's, the facade and the lobby gives off quite an impression to a first timer like me. Upon entering through the sliding doors, the wide open lobby with its quaint fans blowing from the high ceiling gave me a warm welcome feeling.
Check in was a breeze except for the strict 3:00 p.m. rule. I had to wait since I came 30 minutes earlier and was told that the room was still being cleaned. With my luggage stashed on the bell captain's station, I took an ocular inspection of the premises. At the end of the lobby is a big bar but was closed. Behinf that is the doorway to the pool area where couples and families were enjoying the facilities. There's a Tiki Bar at the right end of the area which was packed. Beyond the bar is the staircase going to the beach.
The beach area has huts for $20, umbrellas for $10 and lounge chairs for free. There are banana boat rides, jet skis, wave runners that can be rented. Waitresses are constantly patrolling the area for drinks which are reasonably priced. Domestic beer for $3.50 and Imported for $5. Hey, that's not bad! Try going to the other ones where the standard currency is a 20 dollar bill.
The rooms are clean and fully equipped with the basics and tastefully decorated.. The bathroom is impeccably clean but the fixtures need some help. The toilet paper dispenser is located in the right or left side of the toilet bowl and there is no way that one can do it without difficulty or perhaps sprain one's shoulder. Very poor design.
If your driving, be prepared to pay $10/day for self-parking across the street from the hotel or $15/day for valet.. Oh, and you have to pay a $10/day resort fee for the luxury of having a beach and swimming pool.
The place has 2 restaurants that offer superb cuisine but I consider the pricing $$$ if you know what I mean. Across the street is a strip mall that has a Chinese Buffet that offers a sushi bar (no sashimi), a full line of chinese viands, a grill counter where you can order a steak grilled to your liking, and a full seafood coungter offerring crab legs, shrimps, mussels and yes, oysters all for $20.00. There's a Mexican Restaurant next to it but it's a la carte and will run you about the same as the buffet. Further up Collins Avenue are the fast food places such as McDonald;s, Burger King and KFC. Take your pick.
Overall, this place is a 2 thumbs up for me for the money!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Deauville Beach Resort
#169 of 207 in Miami Beach
3.0 of 5 bubbles 4,555 reviews
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,096 reviews

Been to Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!