“Nice, clean, friendly, great beach, great pool”

Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed March 17, 2009

My friend and I chose this hotel based on reviews and pictures, and we were not disappointed. All we wanted was a beachfront hotel with a nice swimming pool and a nice, clean, updated room. We wanted to be out of the hustle and bustle of South Beach, but yet close enough to take local transportation to go visit it for an afternoon. It worked out perfect -- the bus stop was right in front of our hotel and it took only 30 minutes to get there. Club 305, which is on the premises has a great ladies night on Wednesdays, and the food and drinks were great at the Tikki bar. Service was prompt and friendly. Won't hesitate to go there again someday.

There was only one issue, and that was the traffic noise. Our room was up front, closer to the main road, and I would recommend getting a room closer towards the back if you do not want to hear the honking and sirens.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank kkckkksk
Write a ReviewReviews (3,596)

Reviewed March 17, 2009

Very nice lobby and entrance but when you get to room hallways and bedrooms it seems this hotel was last updated in the 1970s. The room size (suites) is good especially with a young baby though. The value for money is poor but then that seems to be the same everywhere in Miami in high season so all the hotels seem guilty of overcharging for what they are even at the top end of the market - my overall advice would be to miss Miami - it was souless and had zero vibe (we did n't make it to So Beach but surely there is more to this city than a couple of blocks!), we did walk for 30 block in the Miami beach area, saw no one, no shops, no restuarants, cafes,anything

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank chris_w01
Reviewed March 16, 2009

We checked out their website prior to booking, the pictures the tiki bar and th ebeach all look great. Suprising enough it was the same as the pictures. Now this is the deceiving part......the beach is very small and extremely overcrowded. It is located right next to the public beach and many of the public crowd overflowed onto the hotels beach. Not that it was bad but the issue is the overcrowding and the Thuggish crowd. I saw more tattoos and gold teeth than I care to mention. There was no trouble of any kind and everyone was just relaxing and having a ggod time. The service is so bad......they only have 3 servers on the beach..the servers are so stressed out and overworked when i attempted to order she just said I am so sorry I am too busy to handle any additional people. So I walked up to the tiki bar...and there were at least 20 people all standing around wanting some type of service....3 bar tenders were trying to handle the servers, and the customers at the bar. When I finally did get service I asked for a bucket of beer....they didn't have any buckets and she appologized....and said next door at the other bar they had tons of buckets and that is where most of the people get their service...so for the rest of the trip I just went next door....and never once did a server ask me if I needed anything while on the beach...Oh well the Hotel is losing tons of money there ... now for the rooms..
As I went to check in there was a family in from of me. Husband, Wife and 2 children...the wife was getting room keys and running back and forth to the front desk each time coming back with desriptions of the rooms and smells...she said moldy, filthy, smeels like rotten eggs, and so on. She checked 7 rooms and on the 8th she finally said OK this one I will put my stuff in but not sure if she will stay in it... The girl at the reception desk told herhow sorry and embarrassed she way that the owners of the hotel want to remodel the hotel but they are almost always sold out so they don't have a chance to remodel. I was extremely scared at this point and was already on the phone calling another hotel for rooms. My wife wanted to just see what they gave us for a room....so we went ahead and checked in. Went to our room ( Non Smoking) that was definitely not a non smoking room..so we went back down to the front desk to play musical rooms...I sent the wife and kids to the beach and they went out and tried to find some space to lay out while I played musical rooms like the group in front of me. I was lucky I only had to go to 3 different suites until I found one that was remodeled wince Clinton was president....anyway to make a long review shorter here is the point. If you want to go somewhere that has a beutiful beach this is it, if you don;t care what type of room you get this is it. This was a great resort 20 years ago.....but it has been driven in the ground with wear and tear. they could make it so much better...and probabaly make a ton more dough if they just hired some staff to service everyone..

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank SFTravelerStarr
Reviewed March 12, 2009

My 2 sisters and I stayed here for 4 nights pre-cruise. One of my sisters uses a wheelchair, so accessibility was key. We phoned the resort to reserve an accessible room. That being done, the confirmation was emailed to us. The confirmation was not detailed and did not mention the accessible room. We phoned again to add that this was a must, and were told that this would not be a problem. I must say that I found that the person at reservations was not very friendly and almost dismissive and left me wondering. . . Upon arrival, indeed the accessible room was not available! We were very disappointed as this was prime reason for choosing this hotel. The fellow at the desk was very apologetic and helpful however. So we were moved to a 2-bedroom suite, non-accessible. We were able to manage and so were pleased with accomodations.
That being said, the room was dated but spacious. It was in need of some repairs however. The shower doors fell off and thankfully missed my sister. . . the bolts that held them were only loosely in place. We told the front desk, and ended moving them ourselves to prevent injury. They were never repaired during our stay. Also, our request for extra towels took several attempts. A few days into our stay the accessible room became available and we were given a choice. We took a peak inside and the room was small, the view was of a roof, but the bathroom was very accessible. We chose to stay in the 2-bedroom suite for the remainder of our stay.
We are "do it yourself" people, and easy-going. And even with the above problems, we would stay here again! The staff are very friendly. The grounds are lovely, and the resort is right on the beach, which is a huge reason also for choosing this resort. And the price of $133 US a night for a 2-bedroom suite was not too shabby. Oh, and there is a washer and dryer in the basement, which turned out to be a real convenience. I believe it was $2 for each. There is a small convenience store in the resort that sells detergent and bounce.
Accessibility at the resort was very good. My sister could get around without problems.
The hotel is a distance from South Beach. A taxi return would have been about $100 US. However, all Miami buses are wheelchair accessible! And so my sister travelled for free, and an "attendant" travels for free, while one of us had to pay $2!! Not bad! The bus driver was very helpful and made sure we got out at the correct stop.
There are a variety of stores within walking distance, and we chose to make our own breakfast in our room. There are also a variety of restaurants within walking distance, as well as a few restaurants within the resort (which we didn't try).
If you are not fussy about the room, but love a resort feel, with a great beach access and lovely grounds, then I don't think you will be disappointed. Feel free to email if questions re: wheelchair access.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank lulu3
Reviewed March 9, 2009

My best girlfriend and I were looking for a Miami vacation that was relaxing during the day and bustling at night. We found the former at Newport Beachside, but not the latter.
Please make sure you know that Newport Beachside is not located in Miami, but instead in Sunny Isles, Florida. (We bought our tickets through Priceline, and while we found a really great deal, Priceline listed the hotel as being in South Beach, not a 45 minute bus ride away from what South Beach has to offer!)
Now, this isn't a big deal if you're going for the beach and pool--both of which were pretty excellent here. But if you're looking for a place that's convenient to the rest that Miami has to offer, look further south!

Overall, the hotel was OK. No horror stories to be told here. It could have benefited from a more thorough vacuuming, and it might have been nice to have two full beds like requested as opposed to the Cali king and a wall bed to which we were assigned. The housekeeping staff was pleasant, personable, and kept us in fresh towels, soaps, and clean wastebaskets.
The front desk staff were polite, but our request to book a shuttle to the airport on the day of checkout was almost a disaster, since the lady never bothered to actually set it up. (Luckily there was a nice couple there who let us share their shuttle!)

Adult bingo by the pool was great-- definitely play for the free drink coupons. The beach was cozy with adorable cabanas and decent lounge chairs.

The only thing I *absolutely* could do without was that children are allowed in the hot tub at the hotel. Gross.

I'd also suggest not eating at the breakfast buffet. You're better off walking across the street to Einstein's bagels--cheaper and much tastier. I'd venture to say the same for the other restaurants in the resort, but can't say for certain.

One definite plus is the CVS across the street that's open 24 hours/day, as well as a tasty and fantastically priced Mexican restaurant in the shopping center across the street--for those nights when you just can't hack the 45 minute ride into "town."

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank FrenchCleanerChick
Reviewed March 9, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel for years. My mother used to rent a condo in the area and we would stay here whenever we visited her, going back at least 10 years, probably more. We always found it well-priced, clean, we loved the roominess, the ocean views are very nice. Our girls loved that the living room became their bedroom, and it was nice that we all had some privacy.

The staff was courteous, the room was clean. We never had much interaction with the staff, other than checking in, checking out and noticing that the room was always well-kept by Housekeeping.

Our most recent stay showed the need for a bit of updating, but it was less than $100 a night, so what do you want?? Their location on Collins gives you easy access to Miami and Fort Lauderdale, as well as being convenient to either airport as well.

We've loved it for years, Although our girls are big now, I would still recommend it for any family traveling with children, or any couple looking for a decent place at a decent price. Although there is a restaurant, we never ate more than breakfast at the hotel. There are so many great places to eat in the area, we just never bothered.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2009

From Jan. 10th through the 16th, 2009, my husband and I stayed at the Newport Beachside Hotel, 16701 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, Florida. On the morning of the 16th, I packed my suitcase, left it open on the bed, and went to breakfast. When I returned to the room, I closed the suitcase and we left for Key West. When I unpacked in Key West, I discovered several garments missing – all designer label tops, the best of my clothes. Obviously, I suspected the housecleaning staff; who else would have access to the room?

I immediately called the Newport Beachside Hotel and spoke to the housekeeping manager, Frank San Juan, who claimed that no one took anything from my suitcase.

I next spoke to the hotel manager, Armando Valdez. After he denied any wrongdoing, I said I would contact Elderhostel (our trip organizer), AAA, and several travel and hotel reservation websites to convey my anger and report what happened. At that point, Mr. Valdez said he would call the hotel owner, Robert Cornfeld, to see about compensation. Mr. Valdez called me the next day and said he would mail me a check for $500 in the next week to 10 days. It never arrived. I then wrote to Elderhostel and asked them to call Mr. Valdez as they use the Newport Beachside Hotel very often. Elderhostel wrote back, informing me that they spoke to Mr. Valdez and that it was decided not to reimburse me and that the hotel considered the matter closed. I subsequently called AAA and told them about the missing clothes and how the hotel reneged on its promise to reimburse me.

(Years ago, the same thing happened at the Century Plaza in Los Angeles. After speaking to several senior executives there, they “found” the garments and shipped them to me.)

Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple