“Great value!”

Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed January 6, 2014

It's the cheapest hotel in Sunny Isles. You could pay less than a half than in any other hotel in the same area. That said, you have to set up your expectations according to that. I paid for the cheapest room and was upgraded to the one that has a balcony with sea view. My room was a balcony with place to sleep. The room was big, really big, and comfortable (with a fridge and a mini kitchen). The furnitures and decoration were old, 80's style, but in a good condition. The beach, beautiful... The pool clean and big, the lobby good and the staff was actually nice. Location is great, just in front of a mini mall. Can't complain at all! I would go again if I had the chance....

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have been to Newport at least 10 times over the years. Mainly attracted to the location but also loved the ambience and liveliness of the lobby. However over the years the attraction has declined for me and I am not sure if I can stay here again.

I stayed here after my cruise and immedialtely realised that the hotel is just not the same.Firstly our rooms were disappointing. I undertstand that they rennovated the hotel a few years ago but they have not updated the whole hotel. So unfortunately we were assigned old rooms that were tired, really outdated and dirty. I had booked two one bedroom suites and was digusted to find that the room smelt stale, bedlinen was dirty and room was totally inhabitable. I had only stayed in a rennovated one bedroom suite the year before so was shocked when I entered the room this year.

I immeditely phoned the hotel reception to complain and asked to be moved to other rooms. Lady at reception was rude and dismissive and told me that no other rooms were available. The only thing she offered was clean bedlinen without any sort of apology. Not satifsied, I went downstairs to talk to a manager for a resolution. Straightaway we were assigned other rooms even though I was previoulsy told that none were availlable.

My hotel voucher clearly stated that I had booked a room for four people and breakfast was included for all. However, Newport refused to honour that and would only give breakfast to two people. Breakfast was a huge disappointment. I remember the times when I use to go and look forward to breakfast. They used to serve all types of breads, pastries, fruits, hots dishes etc. There was even a omelette station and the chef would make the eggs to your liking. Now you are lucky if you can get a slice of toast! Be warned the choices at breakfast are limited and be prepared to pay an additional $3 dollars for a glass of orange juice! It is not even included in the pre-paid breakfast.

Although Newport is only a three star, it used to possess charm. Staff are no longer so friendly and inviting and the lobby no longer has that buzz. The only that is good about the place now is the location and promixity to be the beach.Before I did not hestitate where I would stay when visiting Miami, depsite it flaws Newport always used to be first choice. Now When I next visit Miami, I will now have to have a serious think about where I am going to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank dannyp2206
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We've been going annually to the Newport for several years in a row. The main reason being the location and the life in the lobby - right on the beach, across the street from several strip malls with restos, shops etc and lots of people milling or congregating in the lobby. However it is quite evident that the hotel itself (ie its management) has no interest in updating the outdated, partially yet cheaply refurbished hotel. Even orange juice was removed from the breakfast buffet! The gym as well is in dire need of a reno. In my opinion small things to do matter. However, other hotels\condo hotels are nicer and cleaner but much more expensive. Will we go again to the Newport? Likely yes as the positives do exceed the negatives.

Room Tip: Rooms at the corners are larger with an alcove for the kitchenette area.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank floshel
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Like others who have revewed this hotel, I was sent to a another hotel because of overbooking. We were sent to a courtyard near the Aventura mall for the first night of a three night stay. In hindsight, that was the highlight of the trip.

On day two a checked in at 3pm. The room was discussing. Very old, beat up furniture, poorly repaired rusted bathroom fixtures. An old 19inch "picture tube" TV and stained carpeting.

I did pass along some feedback to the manager, but I don't believe anything was done with it.

We stayed a single night, and checked out the next morning. I knew because of the price, we would be "roughing it", but this was just too much. On the other hand the courtyard was very nice. I DO reccomend that hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GriswoldSalute
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We drove to this hotel where we stopped the night of 13 December 2013 before going on a cruise. It had been a long drive from Key West and when we reached the hotel, finally, we found that the parking was off siteThere were a continual stream of taxis and cars dropping people with luggage and everything was done at a rapid pace. The valet gave me the prices for parking and as valet parking was only $5.00 more than self parking ($20.00) I decided on that option. I paid the valet $20.00 when I handed over the car keys. When we checked in the receptionist, Billie, was very curt. When we reached the price of the parking and he told me that this would be on the bill, I told him that I had already paid the valet. He said that he would sort this out....."If I was telling the truth". What an attitude! I left him with that and as he had not sent any message to the room, I went back to Reception two hours later. When I asked him about this matter he shrugged it off saying that it was a 'misunderstanding' and that I would not be further charged....which I wasn't. Some form of apology would have been nice. By American standards the room was small but was clean with good bed and shower. We were disappointed that there were no coffee making facilities in the room.. We ate the loud trendy bar on the ground floor and the service and food were good. More than I can say for the breakfast which was poor, reducing us, by choice, to a cup of coffee and slice of toast each. I(* do like the American idea of fresh fruit for breakfast, but there was none to be had. It may have been different if we had been there for a beach holiday but for a one night transit stop, there are many more reasonably priced hotels in Miami that I would choose over this one. The visit started badly which soured our stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 66Bill2013
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Stayed here for 6 days in Dec 2013. I didn't have any problems with check in or the rooms. To be honest I was dreading it after reading all the reviews but, we had a Ocean view room as booked with a queen size bed and a pull out double bed. A kitchenette, including a small fridge, a microwave, plates and cutlery. The rooms were cleaned daily and I found the staff to be friendly. There are laundry facilities, a gym and a spa in the hotel basement. I feel that the reception area could have been a little better staffed as there were always queues, which is annoying when you just want to ask a quick question. The hotel is close to shops and supermarkets and you can also use a free shuttle bus from outside the supermarket to the shopping malls (Bal Harbour and Aventura mall), we discovered this ourselves. There were also bus stops close by that go to South beach (takes around 45 mins) and the bell men were more than happy to order taxis etc... There is a small tourist shop in the lobby as well as a jewelry shop, a bar/restaurant (kitchen 305) and a cafe for sandwiches and drinks throughout the day. The pool is small and basic but there is a poolside cafe, serving food and drinks and there was live music throughout the day times. The beach is kept clean and was beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank rosieeManchester
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Booked this hotel for a short one night stay (December 14, 2013) soley based on the beach. Read many reviews before booking and decided that we would opt for the beachfront room at $150 per night, which included the resort fee of $15.

Ok the nitty gritty....

Checkin....
Google maps got us there from MIA intl' in about 25mins. We decided before we got there we would opt for valet parking ($20 per day) since it was only $5 more per day than self park ($15 per day) (well worth it IMO), parking is expensive at all the hotels in this area (this is one thing we don't like about this area). We arrived at 1130am thinking they wouldn't have a room for us until published checkin time of 3pm. To our amazement they had a room but we would have to pay an early checkin fee of $25. Knowing all businesses are charging fees for practically everything (including my employer) we opted to pay it so we could get into our room and not worry about our bags in some storage room. A few minutes later we were on the beach.

The Staff...
The staff during checkin were very nice and we didn't have any problems at all. Infact, all of the staff we encountered were nice. We witnessed one guest yelling at the young lady working the concierge desk because the ATM was out of order and she politely resolved the situation (although I we say him a number of times and everytime he was complaining about something).

The room....
We were in room 601 which is on the sixth floor in the "small" tower. There are 3 elevators in this tower but we only saw one of the three working. In fact, on checkout we had to use the stairs because the elevator "never came". Ok back to the room...the room is basic and somewhat tired as others had said in many reviews. Somewhat on the small side but enough room for the two of us. The queen bed was very soft...to soft...like sink to the middle soft. We prefer a medium firmness. There was a couch with a pull out bed. The tv was a 40" flat screen, the bathroom was small but nice. There was a jacuzzi tub/shower combo, never used the tub, just shower. The balcony was small but had a great view. Was it worth the extra $50 per night? Yes, being able to sit on the balcony overlooking the beach is worth it.

The property...
As many have said the lobby area is nice but always very busy. Lots of traffic but not anything I would call uncommon for such a property right on the beach.
The pool area is very large. It is a simple "olympic" style square pool that looked to be 4 or 5 ft deep. There was a jacuzzi on the property but it was out of order or something because it had yellow tape accross the entry stairs.
There is a bar in the pool area that serves the typical $10 8oz frozen drinks and $7 beers along with numerous food items. We ate lunch there..we each had the grilled Mahi Mahi basket (with fries and salad) and a frozen drink. The bill was $55. I added $10 tip not knowing the tip was already figured in. I learned that I should always wear my glasses when reviewing a bill. It seems expensive, but really it is on par with everywhere else, just make sure you understand the tipping policy.
We wanted to eat dinner at the restuarant on property 305, but they were hosting a private party that night so we opted to eat off property.

The beach...
This is why we chose to stay here (well price was a factor too). The beach is very nice. You can see from the many pics posted that it is a really nice section of beach. It appeared to be a sandy entry into the water (we didn't go in). The staff kept the sand raked and clean in the mornings. You get free beach chairs and can rent a "cabana" and/or cushions for your beach chair for a fee. We just took the free beach chairs which the staff will carry to your spot of choice (I tipped him $2). The only thing we didn't like was the fact that around 2pm you have to start chasing the sun as it goes behind the highrises. But this is a problem everywhere on the atlantic side of florida and not specific to the property. We were able to chase the sun til about 4pm which was about 2hrs short of our goal.

Last impressions....
Not a bad place to stay....we would do it again. Upgrade to the beachfront room. Ignore the naysayers...its not the Ritz, but its not Motel 6 either...the beach is the attraction here.

Mike in Tulsa

Room Tip: Upgrade to the beachfront rooms, its worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Marenas Beach Resort
Marenas Beach Resort
#2 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
#5 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Hilton Cabana Miami Beach
Hilton Cabana Miami Beach
#88 of 210 in Miami Beach
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Re...
#7 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach

Been to Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!