“Overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Trump International Beach Resort
Toronto, Canada
“Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

First I will say that the staff at this hotel are second to none in all my travels. Everyone of them are friendly, courteous, helpful and lovely.

I stayed here Nov 21 - Nov 25 and was not impressed. My brother had rented a Suite on the 9th floor, number 905, and the overpriced Suite left much to be desired. My key card worked maybe 3 times out of the ten in a day. When the key did work, the door latch was sticky, so it always took two hands to open the door, not good when your hands were full. The three times that I went to the beach, each time I was unable to get back into the hotel because my key card did not work. I had to wait for someone to come along to get inside.

The switches on the wall, some worked and some didn't. It provided me with some amusement on a rainy day to play with the switches to see how useless some of them were. The remote for the television was another interesting item, as it also had a mind of its own. Sometimes the power button worked, sometimes it didn't. Majority of the time, the channel button never worked. I actually used the buttons on the television itself to make any selection or power on/off.

The kitchenette was equipped with adequate appliances. The cooking utensils however, left no doubt in my decision not to use them. The pots are non-stick of the lowest quality -- the ones you see a full set for $20.00 at Walmart -- and in the set provided, one had a scorched bottom, one had scratches, 2 of them had questionable white stains (fungus?) . Needless to say, I did not want to use them at all. The Cooking Spoons in the drawer white plastic! Used the dishwasher once, and it flooded. However, Housekeeping was quick to fix that one.

The lobby is underwhelming. The lobby bar is okay. It has no ambiance or atmosphere, and therefore lacks an aura of invitation. I ordered a mango salad and a chicken tempura. The mango salad was a bowl of lettuce with two grape tomatoes, some unidentified blob of orange colour mush and a handful of tiny mango pieces! I expected mango salad of a Thai variety. The tempura was yet another singular experience. The chicken tempura was a sliver of chicken coated two inches thick with tempura batter. My tempura arrived lukewarm and mushy. Not hot and crispy as expected.

As a beach resort, it is okay as well. It doesn't have any activities to offer. The beach itself is pretty, but there is a lot of jelly fish. Also, I rarely saw a lifeguard around.

As a resort, it should have a shuttle service to and from the hotel, and to nearby shops and restaurants.

Overall, I give a grade of C+

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Traveller0515

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed at the Trump International, Sunny Isles, FL for a week in November 2013 and had a fantastic stay! The hotel is ultra clean, the rooms are large, well maintained, well stocked and beautiful views! From room 1905, you can see the sunrise in the east, the sunset in the west and also have a fantastic view facing north! Very seldom can you get such a fantastic view from a hotel suite! Being in this suite, it was very quiet. I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel; the location is great...Publix supermarket, CVS, Walgreen's, restaurants, etc... all within walking distance/accross the street. The minute you arrive at the Trump International Hotel, it is a "Wow"; when stepping inside the lobby it is a "Wow Wow"; and when stepping inside your room it is "Wow, Wow, Wow"! An excellent hotel with high standards!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chris123120
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

WE stayed at the Trump Hotel in Las Vegas in May this year and we were excited to try Trump in Miami. Exceeded all expectations. BIG, beautiful, classy, clean and WOW. A beautiful, genuine, warm welcome from the driveway team, Sarah at check in and every other team player we bumped into!! The rooms are HUGE, clean and filled with all you need for business or a soooper holiday; kitchen, a separate bath and shower (I hate shower curtains), a big, soft, comfy bed, a great view and a GREAT gym-open 24 hours!! A soooper market and drug store one block away, the beach is clean and beautiful and the beach and pool team were very helpful and friendly!!
LOOOVED OUR STAY-thankyou!!

Room Tip: Beach side would be nicer -the road side is noisy -it is Miami!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
nottingham england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just spent 5 nights at hotel which we found was excellent. Laura behind reception was brilliant in resolving any little issues we had and was always smiling when she saw us
Rooms were spotless and well maintained
Pool area was good and beach staff very helpful
Jonny in the free hotel shuttle was a great driver who went out of his way to help
Excellent location for aventura and bal harbour malls

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stevecook
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Good:
1) Location - right on one of the best beaches in southern FL
2) Good room size

Bad:
1) The bathroom sink wouldn't drain - Came out of the shower to a all wet floor, sink was leaking too. Reported to front desk, it was resolved. customer service could have been more considerate considering I slipped (not hurt)
2) Got charged for mini bar that I never used. I was barely in the room and didn't even know they had a minibar..
3) Working on getting a duplicate charge removed.

Unacceptable:
Lack of outlets!! had to unplug the tv and the lights in the room to charge phone and use laptop.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

A Quick story of ridiculousness. In October of 2013, I was married. Many guests flew in from out of town, 10-12 of which stayed at the Trump. Despite the many people we recommended to the Trump, on Sunday, when I needed to drop off my tux with family so I could leave on my honeymoon, the valet wanted me to pay a full day of parking, even though I was only going to run upstairs for five minutes. Instead of paying the full day fee, I moved the car to the corner, out of the way and left my new bride waiting for me while I ran upstairs. Even though she was in the car, in the driver’s seat, out of the way, and the valet knew I was running upstairs to drop of a tux ( I told the valet this and I was carrying a tux as added credence) the valet started to harass her, telling her they needed the space for other cars. This was early in the morning, when there were not that many other cars in the driveway. Amateur hour is the only way I can describe what occurred. I would not be surprised by this sort of behavior at some other locations, but not at this establishment.
Having said the above, I did stay in the Trump one night. The rooms are very nice. The staff did seem a little lost, considering my family had reserved the suite for the weekend, yet there was some confusion as to whether I had to check out, then check back in with the family member who had reserved the room for Saturday night.
There are many fine establishments in South Florida. While the Trump was nice, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Angel D
TrumpMiamiResort, General Manager at Trump International Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Angel D.,

First and foremost, congratulations to you and your new bride! From all of us here at Trump International Beach Resort, we wish you both the best.

The type of behavior you have detailed in your experience is extremely disappointing and absolutely unacceptable. If you are available, we would like to discuss this incident in further detail with you. At your convenience, please call us at 305.692.5618.

Thank you, in advance, for assisting us with this situation. And, again, best wishes.
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights, and enjoyed, like before, the beautiful beach and pool. Booked a junior suite, overlooking the bayside, and were very pleased with the view. But I was surprised that a "suite" does not mean - a separated area for bedroom. It was just a much larger room, but when traveling with small kids and booking a suite, I expected/hoped for at least a separating curtain between our bed, and the "living room" area.
The staff were helpful with getting us a crib for the toddler, and extra-sheets for the 4-year old to sleep on the pull-out sofa. The beds were comfortable. There is a small refrigerator and microwave, which we used a lot to save time on going out for every meal. There is a Publix store a couple of blocks away, for supplies. Also, there are washer and dryer in the suite, which was great for kids getting dirty, and bathing suits drying. I am not a huge fan of the Keurig coffee maker, but there was one, too.
We did a room-service dinner, upon arrival, and were pleased with service and quality of meal. Slippers and bathrobes are a nice touch, and being a mom of two small kids, I have very little dignity left, so I roamed the hallways and reception area a few times, clad in the robe and slippers. And sat on the balcony in those - very comfy stuff.
The hotel itself is very beautiful, and we were fairly lucky with the weather, to be spending most of our time outside on the beach, and in the pool area. There are two pools - family, and adult-only, plus hot tubs.
There is a complimentary supervised kids' activity place, Planet Kids, for children 4+. I recommend you use it, if you have a "children 4+". It is really fun for them, and gives a grown up a minute to relax. Our son went 2 times for a couple of hours, and enjoyed activities and art projects. For the money we paid for the hotel, it is good to have this service available!
Many restaurants in the area, to go out for dinner. From easy and casual, to fancy-schmancy, and we ate at both kinds, and really loved the dinners.
Not much else to do in the immediate vicinity, but we were going specifically with relaxation, beach, pool, comfort in mind. In early November, it was about 84F (+28C) during day, and 73F (+22C) at night. Who could possibly like that, right? ))) It was windy one day, but pretty the other days, and wind in such warm temps isn't too difficult to manage.
From previous stay, we remember there is a large playground nearby off the main street, but we did not leave the hotel much, enjoying the amenities and the weather at the beach.
This time again, we were too busy relaxing, to get to the spa, or gym, but my guess is, those are good, too.
There is a bar at the pool, and a bar at the beach. You can also have food from the hotel's restaurant served to you there, right at your chase.
There were a couple of events going on - a wedding, and something else, at the ballrooms and reception halls of the hotel. It looked like a nice venue for that.
I recommend this place for either couples, or families. It is pricey, and "they get you" additionally every chance possible (want a drink at the beach? Sure, you can have one. Enjoy a $15 pina colada...). But what can you do, if you REALLY want a pina colada at the beach, and did not bring your own blender? But it is a nice place, and unless you have exceedingly too high of expectations from the word "Trump", you will enjoy it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family