“Good value , great trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marenas Beach Resort

Marenas Beach Resort
Rochester, New York
“Good value , great trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I just stayed 3 nights. One Br suite, ocean front (901a). Had 2 full baths, nice kitchen, dining table, king bed and pull out sofa. Wrap around balcony (narrow) to watch sunrise with your coffee. We paid two hund per night which is a very good deal IMO for the area, for January. Had lunch at the restaurant and it was good, but limited menu so didn't repeat. Miami Juice across street had
great fresh, healthy lunch (but pricey...it's Miami!). Staff was great, prompt, friendly. Gym was very good for a hotel.

Things to know:
pool is small and early always shaded (at least in Jan), but beach is 20 steps from hotel and nice and sunny till 3pm. The high rises in this area frequently shade many properties -this is not just an Marenas thing! Rooms -01a, -01b, -10, -09, and -08 are on the south side and will get sun at some part of the day (01's in morning and rest In afternoon). The other rooms face North and I don't see how they would ever be In the sun, so shade lovers pick the north side.

Bar scene does not exist. If you want nightlife, pick another spot. The neighboring properties did not seem to have nightlife either. Also, kitchen has utensils, dishes, pots and pans and appliances. Nothing else...no paper towels, dish cloth, dish soap, etc. just FYI if you plan to use the kitchen. There is a Publix grocery store a block away which is very convenient.

Parking was $27 a day, but again... Know the area...parking at most shopping areas is $6 or so for an hour or two.

Room was minimally appointed (scandinavian style?) but very adequate. Smaller tv in LR, large one in BR, washer dryer, deck chairs on balcony with small table.

Overall, we enjoyed. My rating is largely based on price/value for the area and I feel we got more than our money's worth.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side see sun, 901a is full ocean front with wrap around deck.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank WNYSue48503
Dan M, General Manager at Marenas Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Marenas Resort in beautiful Sunny Isles Beach. It is true that the hotel provides a great value as compared to other properties in the area. The Resort is undergoing a refresh which includes several upgrades to the Resort's Public areas and Condominium units. We are happy to hear our staff was pleasant and efficient during your visit.

We look forward to once again welcoming you back to Marenas Beach Resort and Spa.

Thank you for being our guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Brazil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Marenas is a nice hotel in Sunny Isles, North Miami Beach. I cannot give the hotel a better rating, since I rented directly from the owner and did not get all services offered, such as housekeeping. In my situation something were missing from the hotel service and the apartment needed a urgent renovation. However the hotel has some low points…now room service after 10pm and the pool closes at sundown, which in Miami does not make any sense. As high points I can say that the two bedrooms is great and comfortably accommodates a family of five, with a great kitchen and spectacular view. The location is also very good, for those not planning daily trips to South Beach and Downtown.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BrazilAca
Thank you for sharing your experience at a Private Condominium at Marenas Resort. As you mention, some of the private units are in need of improvements. Currently, the Condominium Units directly operated directly by Marenas Resort are undergoing monthtly improvements and are held to strict quality controls.

We thank you for your feedback and look forward to your next visit. The Marenas Resort website has several specials available throughout the year which are hard to pass up.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Nice place...many positive remarks, especially the staff. I and my wife have taken 70 trips in ten years...place especially the suites are very nice, but like I said too pricey. Pool very small. Food double the price for the quality...parking 30 per night...

Room Tip: Price way too high for the quality.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jimhp9000408
Thank you for recognizing the great staff at Marenas Resort with Trip Advisor. The hotel is undergoing several improvements which are designed to enhance the guest experience. We look forward to your next visit. Although not inexpensive, Marenas does offer a great value considering the option of having your own kitchen and additional living area.

Thank you for being our guests.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed for three nights in a one-bedroom suite and found it very clean and comfortable. The kitchen was well equipped with a large fridge/freezer, microwave, dishwasher etc. it's true that very few rooms have a direct view of the ocean, but I found that by going out on the balcony and leaning over the rail I could get a reasonable view. The beach was in the shadow if the hotel from 4 pm on, disappointingly. The staff were friendly and courteous, if somewhat erratic in their efficiency. Top marks to the concierge and Joe the beach towel man. In general the staff seemed untrained, particularly the cleaning staff, who had no idea how to behave with clients. They use the same lifts as clients and often seem tired, unhappy and unwashed. The lobby area is remarkably uninviting and awkwardly laid out, particularly the restaurant and bar. I wouldn't want to have stayed longer.

Room Tip: The rooms at the eastern end of the building have a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Coral Springs, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We went there yesterday (party of 8) for lunch at the Caracol Restaurant and we left VERY disappointed. The food was not good nor fresh. We all had stomach problems the rest of the day. But the worst part was the service. I had to get up to call the waiter more than once to ask for: the menu, to take our orders, to take away the dishes after each course, to offer us dessert and coffee etc, etc. No clue whatsoever on how to wait on tables.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Shanghai17
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I should have known there were going to be problems at check-in. I showed up with my 11 year old son for a father-son trip to see his beloved Dolphins. We arrived at 4:00 pm and when I gave my name to the front desk clerk, he literally stared at his computer screen for 5 minutes without saying a word. I then inquired about what was the issue as he could obviously not find the reservation and I gave him the internet confirmation. He asked us to sit down for a “little” and then 10 minutes later it was obvious he had no solution. I asked at this point to speak to his manager and he acted like he did not understand the request. He would not allow me to speak to a manager. He kept trying to say the reservation “had not been moved to his computer”. Finally after 26 minutes, we got a room key.

We went to the room and as soon as we got there my son looked in the refrigerator. There were 3 partially eaten meals left in there which had seafood to which my son has a severe allergy. This was given to the bellman and I had to scrub down the refrigerator. We went to dinner and came back to let my son go to bed. I opened the sofabed and there were 9 different areas of stains on the mattress and no sheet available. I called housekeeping and it took 35 minutes for them to respond to my request for bedding for my son. He finally got to bed at 10:00 at night.

The carpets were quite worn down and the room was in bad need of an update. There is a great view of the ocean and the bellstaff and valet staff were quite efficient. I had stayed there in 2007 for the Orange Bowl when it was a Le Meridien property and had a wonderful experience. It sadly is nowhere near the property it was then and the choices nearby of the Trump or Acqualina have to be superior to this property.

When we returned to home I realized that I had left my son’s asthma medicine in the room. I called back 5 hours after checking out and they did locate it but said nothing could be done until Monday. I called the security office on Monday who said we will be glad to help you “with your credit card number for the shipping”. Not exactly the level of service I am used to. I am afraid I could not recommend staying here in the future

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank srsuva
Markham, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I just stayed there this week, I had cancelled my reservation at the Trump International just down the road because this location had better reviews and ratings. Upon arrival my wife noticed hair in the main bathroom and over the days the same hair was still there. During the stay more random hair would show up in the bathtub and sink. I noticed chewing gum stuck to the shower floor which remained there for the entire stay. The carpets and the sofa looked soiled and the patio furniture on the balcony were in need of replacement. The lounge chair had the webbing falling out of it and we had to ask twice to have it replaced so it could be used to sit on. When it was replaced the old one was pushed to the other end of the balcony where it sat for the entire stay. The carpets in the main halls are old and lumpy and looked like a beginner installed them. The main public areas looked very good and presentable. We had lunch on the outdoor patio and even though the server saw us I had to go inside and ask for service after 15 minutes. After driving around the area and seeing the other name brands like Ramada and Marriott and how they presented themselves I regretted not shopping around more before booking. I have experienced worse in Florida but we expected more than we got. This would be a nice place for a family with children because it was not crowded and the beach was nice and the pool was not busy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
#5 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 stars 256 reviews
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
Trump International Beach Resort
#3 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,946 reviews
Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach
Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Be...
#1 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
5.0 of 5 stars 790 reviews

Been to Marenas Beach Resort? Share your experiences!