“Terrible lunch experience”

Marenas Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We went there yesterday (party of 8) for lunch at the Caracol Restaurant and we left VERY disappointed. The food was not good nor fresh. We all had stomach problems the rest of the day. But the worst part was the service. I had to get up to call the waiter more than once to ask for: the menu, to take our orders, to take away the dishes after each course, to offer us dessert and coffee etc, etc. No clue whatsoever on how to wait on tables.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Shanghai17
There are newer reviews for Marenas Beach Resort

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I should have known there were going to be problems at check-in. I showed up with my 11 year old son for a father-son trip to see his beloved Dolphins. We arrived at 4:00 pm and when I gave my name to the front desk clerk, he literally stared at his computer screen for 5 minutes without saying a word. I then inquired about what was the issue as he could obviously not find the reservation and I gave him the internet confirmation. He asked us to sit down for a “little” and then 10 minutes later it was obvious he had no solution. I asked at this point to speak to his manager and he acted like he did not understand the request. He would not allow me to speak to a manager. He kept trying to say the reservation “had not been moved to his computer”. Finally after 26 minutes, we got a room key.

We went to the room and as soon as we got there my son looked in the refrigerator. There were 3 partially eaten meals left in there which had seafood to which my son has a severe allergy. This was given to the bellman and I had to scrub down the refrigerator. We went to dinner and came back to let my son go to bed. I opened the sofabed and there were 9 different areas of stains on the mattress and no sheet available. I called housekeeping and it took 35 minutes for them to respond to my request for bedding for my son. He finally got to bed at 10:00 at night.

The carpets were quite worn down and the room was in bad need of an update. There is a great view of the ocean and the bellstaff and valet staff were quite efficient. I had stayed there in 2007 for the Orange Bowl when it was a Le Meridien property and had a wonderful experience. It sadly is nowhere near the property it was then and the choices nearby of the Trump or Acqualina have to be superior to this property.

When we returned to home I realized that I had left my son’s asthma medicine in the room. I called back 5 hours after checking out and they did locate it but said nothing could be done until Monday. I called the security office on Monday who said we will be glad to help you “with your credit card number for the shipping”. Not exactly the level of service I am used to. I am afraid I could not recommend staying here in the future

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank srsuva
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I just stayed there this week, I had cancelled my reservation at the Trump International just down the road because this location had better reviews and ratings. Upon arrival my wife noticed hair in the main bathroom and over the days the same hair was still there. During the stay more random hair would show up in the bathtub and sink. I noticed chewing gum stuck to the shower floor which remained there for the entire stay. The carpets and the sofa looked soiled and the patio furniture on the balcony were in need of replacement. The lounge chair had the webbing falling out of it and we had to ask twice to have it replaced so it could be used to sit on. When it was replaced the old one was pushed to the other end of the balcony where it sat for the entire stay. The carpets in the main halls are old and lumpy and looked like a beginner installed them. The main public areas looked very good and presentable. We had lunch on the outdoor patio and even though the server saw us I had to go inside and ask for service after 15 minutes. After driving around the area and seeing the other name brands like Ramada and Marriott and how they presented themselves I regretted not shopping around more before booking. I have experienced worse in Florida but we expected more than we got. This would be a nice place for a family with children because it was not crowded and the beach was nice and the pool was not busy.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Oct 29-Nov 2. Great quiet location on the beach, and between Ft Ldrle and Miami so easy distance to travel to either town for activities. Excellent staff in restaurant and beach. Desk staff good but had to ask to get help, but then got the help in a friendly manner. We never saw anyone at the bar, no night life but we were there during week. Breakfast buffet too expensive, suggest ordering off menu or walking to Lula Kebabs across & down the street. Restaurant great food, reasonable compared to area restaurants. Dirty carpet in room and hallway. Small tv. Other than that, room was fine; housekeeping great. Beach, deck and pool area and that staff were great. Would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Our king standard room was on NE corner nearest beach so had great partial view of ocean. Only suit...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This resort gives you the conveniences of home within the hotel setting. Stylish accommodations, good service, and residential location (still close to south beach).
We stayed in a suite- den, FULL kitchen, washer/dryer, bathroom, bedroom, veranda. The views are either north or south views, unless you request an end.
The kitchen was stocked with all serveware, pots, pans, coffee maker. (No soap-dish or dishwasher)
Washer/dryer-standard stackable. no detergent.; Iron, iron board.
Spacious bathroom- tub and shower.
Bedroom- bed with built-in dual sconces. Box tv, dvd player; floor to ceiling window!; very comfortable beds, feather pillows.
Den- flat screen tv, very comfortable couch (pull-out sofa) and chairs.
Kitchen with high-bar and chairs- stainless steel appliances-stove, fridge, dishwasher; only thing missing for me was toaster oven since we don't use the microwave. The fridge was full size.
Bathroom-good water pressure from rain-showerhead. Fairly clean except :( shower rods, towel bars, and towels had hair in it.
--The lobby decor was quite nice also Service with a smile. Valet were pleasant although the price was not nice though average for the area at twenty-five dollars overnight. They brought our car fairly quickly every time. Breakfast buffet with Live entertainment according to the staff.
--Location- Publix basically across the street. TDBank, Chase, Wellsfargo a block or 3 away. Miami juice and many other eating options walking distance. Cleaners, Pharmacy, Marshalls, nails, salons also close. 20min drive to South Beach. Oh and did I mention they have a free steam room and gym. and Exquisite Spa.
***Enjoy- You will be pleased.
We would definitely stay here again if in Miami.

Room Tip: The views are either north or south views, unless you request an end.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Beautiful location and a nice hotel, but the restaurant service was terrible.

Good things about this hotel are the view, the beach access, the swimming pool, super big gym, safe in the room, good air conditioning and a big bathroom. Other than the restaurant, the help is very nice and quick to respond to requests.

Bad things are the free internet is too slow for any practical use (.250 Mbps), no coffee maker in the room and no place to get coffee other than the restaurant, the carpet is showing its age and the doors rattle every time someone opens or closes their door. The room was not as clean as it should have been, my guess is that the maids need glasses.

The service is the restaurant is so SLOW that I stopped trying to get food there and just did room service. I walked three blocks each morning to get coffee and a bit to eat, because that was quicker than going to the restaurant. I also went to the pool to order food, but because the service there was much quicker than the restaurant. FYI, there were never more than a few people in the restaurant so I am not sure why the service was so slow. It took me 1 ½ hours to get a hamburger and the second time I went back I was there for 30 minutes and no one had taken my order, so I walked out.

Room Tip: The one bedroom suites are very large, the Studio room I had was small.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed in a one bedroom suite with a view of the beach. The first room they put us in was next to the elevator shaft and very noise. Our request to be moved to another was handled with no problem. The hotel is showing a little wear and tear, but was very clean and the service was very good. Pool is a little on the small side, but we prefer the beach and the beach staff went out their way to help in any way they could. Had breakfast there a couple of mornings and found it to be good and fairly priced.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Gaby S, Front Office Manager at Marenas Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you for taking your personal time to share your feedback. As we continue to make improvements and explore our areas of opportunity for our guests’ overall experience your comments will help us. We are happy that the front office was able to assist you quickly with your move. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.