“In a class by itself!”

Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach
San Francisco, California
“In a class by itself!”
Reviewed December 12, 2008

This was our second stay at this magnificent resort and we were pleased to see that if anything, it was even better than we remembered. Everything about this resort is truly 5 star. The ambiance is understated elegance. The rooms are spacious and beautifully furnished, with the best lighting I have ever found in a hotel. Staff throughout the hotel are wonderful - friendly and efficient, yet professional and never intrusive. "Do not disturb" signs are scrupulously observed, yet service when requested is prompt. The bed linens are wonderfully soft and of the highest quality. The towels provided are plentiful, large and fluffy. We never heard a sound from nearby rooms.

On this trip, the hotel was not fully booked, so the management kindly upgraded us to a fabulous 1 bedroom suite. This was huge (about 1100 sq. ft) with a fully furnished luxurious kitchen that included a Subzero refrigerator-freezer with ice maker, Wolf range, dishwasher and microwave. All plates, utensils, cookware were provided, including an espresso maker! Granite counter tops everywhere. The suite also included a dining room, large living room, master bedroom and a separate office with a daybed that could easily accommodate a child or third person. There were 1 and 1/2 baths, a large terrace facing the ocean. Both the living room and bedroom had large flat screen TVs, with a small tv in the kitchen. We wished we could stay a month or more!! But even the standard room where we stayed last time was gorgeous and spacious. Though I must admit that having an ocean view greatly enhanced our enjoyment!

The pools and beach areas are immaculate. The pool water is heated so that swimming was delightful even though the outside temperature did not exceed 78 degrees during the entire week of our stay. Both lounge covers and wonderful large towels are provided at the pools and beach.

Breakfast was included in our American Express Platinum travel package and was beautifully served in the lovely Il Mulino restaurant. Everything was fresh and delicious. A buffet is available or one can choose from the menu. Juices, fresh fruits, cereals, yogurts, breads, bagels, pastries, are always available on the buffet. On some days, waffles and french toast were also available. If not on the buffet, one could order these or pancakes, lox, eggs, etc. from the menu.

We had dinner once in the Il Mulino. The food and service were fabulous. We had the Dover sole, which was outstanding! The meal was pricey, but well worth it for the exceptional quality.

I used the spa several times and was delighted with the facility and wonderful services.

Across the street from the hotel are several new mini-malls with many shops and restaurants of all types and price ranges. There are even 3 kosher restaurants for those who observe kashrut. There is a Walgreens, open 24 hours. The hotel is located about a 10 minute drive from the Aventura Mall and about 15 minutes from the Bal Harbour shopping center.

We have stayed in many 5 star hotels around the world, but the Acqualina is the best overall experience we have had. We hope to return to this lovely hotel as frequently as our schedule permits.

• Liked — Spacious, immaculate, quiet, luxurious, great ocean view
  • Disliked — nothing we didn't like
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bewtrip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 21, 2008

I picked the Acqualina because I was visiting friends in North Miami. While it's not in the center of the action -- South Beach -- it's a great alternative for anyone looking for a quiet, beautiful, clean and upscale resort type hotel in the Miami area.

The hotel is a high-rise literally on the beach with large, clean, well furnished rooms and balconies facing either the "city" or the ocean. I recommend spending the extra money for an ocean view room. An ocean view room makes you feel as if you're on vacation in a tropical resort, while a city-view room feels as if you could be in any large US city. How do I know this? When there was a problem with my city-view room the hotel went above and beyond the call of duty and switched me to an ocean view room in less than an hour. That's the difference between a standard hotel and a hotel that understands service.

The beach was clean, the beach service good (make sure you get a flag for your lounge chair), the food above average. I noticed that some people didn't tip the beach service people, which is unfortunate.

On my first day there was too much seaweed in the water, but that cleared up by the next day. The water was relatively calm and swimable. I didn't use the pools, but they appeared sparkling clean and the adult pool pretty quiet.

The amenities in the room were quirky and a nice touch -- a rubber duck with goggles! The mini-bar included all the makings of a mojito, although it was prohibitively expensive.

There isn't much in the area, which is a little industrial (strip malls, etc) -- you definitely need a car if you plan to see Miami -- but cabs are plentiful. There is a lot of construction in the area, but it's not bothersome.

The only complaint, although it's not a complaint just a taste issue, is that the hotel tries a little too hard. There are what seemed like bentleys, jaquars, and ferrari type cars in the parking lot in front of the hotel that never seemed to move. Were they their just to impress? The flat screen TV that pops up and down into a chest at the foot of the bed is unusual, but is it necessary to be considered an elite hotel?

• Liked — Beach access and service
  • Disliked — Not understated enough
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank fultonferry
Dallas, TX
Reviewed September 25, 2008

This hotel is fantastic. It's easily the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed at, by a long shot. The price is high, but worth it- I was able to find the best price on traveldealzone.com.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank SteveFromDallas
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Acqualina is a physically beautiful property very finely appointed rooms. High quality linens, marble baths, dual sinks, luxury carpet. My husband most enjoyed the flat sceen tv mounted on swivels which arises on call from a box at the foot of the bed, as well as the well equipped health club.

What set the hotel apart in my opinion was the truly exceptional service, especially the personal touches and efforts of the housekeeping staff to assure that everything was in order in the room -- night and day. Special thanks to LaBelle in that regard, complete with her classic French maid uniform.

My two hour treatment in the Espa was a delight, as were our hours lounging by the extravagant pool. All in all, a good stay despite the hazards of passing tropical storms.

• Liked — The luxury appointments and attentive service
  • Disliked — The beach was dirty beyond the area directly in front of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SusanGlobalGallop
cluj napoca
Reviewed August 30, 2008

Sure the best in whole Miami.Great interiors,excelent staff,,superb beach and pools area,awersome restaurant.Entire resort is in great shape and the staff is doing their best to keep it so!Rooms are huge and very clean,with great balconys.Il Mulinio is great.ESPA,amazing!
GREAT JOB!KEEP IT LIKE SO!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank dantudor
Ft. Lauderdale
Reviewed August 28, 2008

My husband and I live in Ft. Lauderdale but wanted to get away for my birthday weekend not too far from home. We would usually head to Naples to the Ritz Carlton, but they were booked that particular weekend. We stumbled on The Acqulina through a travel site that we had used once before & weren't disappointed.The hotel seemed to be everything we were looking for, 5 star luxury accomdations, an ocean front rooms,spa & fine dining. My husband called WHATAHOTEL and was told this was a VERY special resort. He booked the room through them instead of the hotel directly because there were some added perks like a room upgrade, late check out, breakfast each morning & special rates. My husband also corresponded with the hotels concierge to make sure all the little luxuries we prefer would be in our room, extra feather pilow, matches for candles, ipod docking station, bath salts,fresh robes etc.. He'd coordinated special arrangements for my birthday, he fedex'd many "B" Day cards to them prior to arrival with instructions on when and where they were to be presented to me with a rose. They did everything according to plan. Our room was ready hours early when we arrived and found the in-room check in to be a nice touch. Our upgrade to our one bedroom ocean view suite was beautifully furnished, spaciaous and immaculate with a double balcony. We especially loved the large double headed shower for 2. The food and services throughout the hotel were 5 star,room service was fabulous and if it's not the menu they will prepare it you. The adult quite pool was relaxing, and they are strict about the no children allowed. The grounds are well kept, the pools and beach were very clean.The spa was my favorite, It's tranquil and serene, very Asian inspired.It was very well staffed as was the entire hotel.I spent hours relaxing in the crystal steam room, sauna and relaxation room before and after my treatments. I loved that I stayed in the same treatment room with the same specailist for all my services. I live close enough that I can come back often for a day at the spa. We had a wonderful dinner at IL Mulino, we found the food to be above average and reasonably priced for the hotel and the service. Thank You to all the staff for a fabulous birthday weekend experience, and thanks to the GM for one of the most delicious birthday cakes I have ever had. We will be sure to return.

• Liked — luxury and spacious
  • Disliked — I had to leave
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank absoluelyfancy
Austin
Reviewed July 21, 2008

There is so much to say about this Florida gem--great views, amazing spa, wonderful service, awesome beach, tasteful rooms...and to top it off, once I discovered that I had left a gold necklace in one of the robes in the room, they overnighted it to my house at no charge! My husband and I loved it and will definitely be back!

• Liked — Personalized service & security
  • Disliked — Not very close to main attractions
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Hotel South Beach
#8 of 208 in Miami Beach
Faena Hotel Miami Beach
#7 of 208 in Miami Beach

Been to Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach? Share your experiences!