“Avoid half of the hotel for the next year and the other half forever.”

Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed November 28, 2013

First the good news. The hotel, including the rooms, are sumptuous and spotless and the staff could not be nicer. The bad news? Advertising and verbal promises were totally misleading, All rooms on the so-called Intracoastal side (half of the hotel) are directly on Collins Av with noise equal to a highway and look onto one of the largest gas stations I have ever seen. The other half of the rooms, facing the Ocean, are subject to the constant noise of the construction of a hotel-owned skyscraper, adjacent to the hotel. Advise: Avoid the Ocean Side of the hotel for at least 1 year and forget about the Intracoastal side forever. Last remark: The lighting in the restaurant is so dark, that staff help you with the light of their cellular phones and the noise (so-called music) is so loud, you can not understand what is offered by the nice waiters.

Room Tip: Do not accept an Intracoastal room. The definition is misleading. Avoid Ocean-side rooms for the n...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Norbert C
AcqualinaManagement, Managing Director at Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Norbert,

Thank you for the feedback.
I have already taken action with the team to improve the lighting and music at Piazzetta to ensure the guests have a comfortable experience.
Yes, it is most unfortunate that construction next door is taking place, however, the team is trained with all the tools available to them to ensure that we minimize the effect on our guests and ensure a seamless experience.

Once again, my sincere apologies for your experience.

There are newer reviews for Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I really do not know where to start with my love for Acqualina. I've vacationed in Miami for many years and have stayed at all of the five star properties, I must say this by far was the best. This property pays a lot of attention to detail and make their guests feel extremely welcomed.

We were in town for business and placed in this hotel by our client. On arrival the typical hotel mixup took place where the credit card information wasn't on file, since our rooms were being covered by a third party they had to reconfirm that approval was given for billing. Instead of having us wait in the lobby, they allowed us to check in as things got sorted out...which of course they were. That set the tone for an amazing stay, not every five star property understands customer service but I'm glad to say they get it here.

This resort is truly amazing. The modern decor is beautiful. We stayed in deluxe intracoastal rooms, which exceeded our expectations. You don't have to get an oceanfront room or suite to enjoy a first class luxury experience, which is nice.

The grounds of the resort were really quite pretty. I like the location of it as well, while it's not right on south beach it's not too far from it. Since I was there for business I didn't get a chance to enjoy all of the amenities Acqualina had to offer outside of stopping in their shop in the lobby area to pick up a few things (it wasn't too pricey). And I did get time for a quick massage which was pretty awesome. I'm planning on returning in a couple of months to celebrate my birthday and take full advantage of this amazing place, seriously can not wait!!!!!! If you are going to Miami and want a nice luxury experience without all of the craziness of south beach, stay here. It's well worth it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MissyNY2013
AcqualinaManagement, Managing Director at Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear Missy,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful feedback.
The team and I are delighted and honored to learn that you have such a fantastic experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Acqualina is my second home! It is so much fun and all the staff are amazing. It is a great place to hang out by the pool or dive into some fun in the ocean. When I am hungry I can just walk down stairs and get some gelato. The service is quick because whenever I need my things to be washed, I just call the housekeeping and they are to my room within 2 minutes. This hotel is fun for children and adults because I am 10 years old and have 5 other siblings and when we are at Acqualina we are smiling the whole time and so are our parents. The kids club is another bonus to Acqualina, we get to do many great and fun things while our parents are doing something else. There are actives like video games, arts and crafts, and the staff take you to the pool and beach and play games with you. I can't wait to go back to Acqualina again soon!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jordan B
AcqualinaManagement, General Manager at Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Jordan,

That you so very much for the feedback.
The team and I are delighted that you shared your experience with others.
We will continue to strive and provide exceptional hospitality and service.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We have stayed here on several occasions and have had a wonderful experience each time. The property, rooms and service on all levels are amazing! Definitely our favourite place to stay in Miami.

Rachele has looked after us for some time now and is always a pleasure to deal with! Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
AcqualinaManagement, General Manager at Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
The team and I are delighted to learn that you enjoyed the Acqualina experience.
We all look forward to continue our service excellence and to welcome you again.

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

We spent a week in Miami, Florida, two nights at Biltmore, two nights Acqualina, one night Epic Hotel and one night Ritz Carlton in Key Biscayne. They were all amazing and each one had it's own vibe. Acqualina Resort was our family favorite...I felt safe letting our three teenage children explore hotel, pool & beach property with tight security yet not intrusive as a visitor. The hotel deserves it's 5 Star award, it is perfection and paradise! The only thing I can say negative is the mattress sounds like it is wrapped in plastic...little noisy when you turn over in bed? Also, at the Ritz, they have a Club Room, which my children enjoyed and felt special, maybe a VIP Club Room at Acqualina would be a nice tween touch! Hope to visit again next year :)

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank BeYourBestToday

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience.
The team and I are delighted to learn that you a great experience at Acqualina.
I am working with the team to better improve your feedback on the mattress and understand what we can do better.
Your suggestion are very helpful and will make us better, at Acqualina.

Managing Directir

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We traveled with 2 small children and we were well welcomed during our stay . The hotel is beautiful and luxurious , and the staff are well trained to look always very solicitous . The room is very spacious and comfortable, and the bathroom has a separate bath for better use . The breakfast is very agreeable and extremely friendly staff trying to please all the time . The beach and the pools are well cared for and the wonderful service , always putting fresh towels are provided . The hotel has a playroom for children above 5 years but accept children younger when accompanied by their parents , which is very useful when traveling with small children . The cleaning however not consistent at all this luxury. We stayed in a room overlooking Collins Avenue and despite being on a high floor , doves attending the balcony leaving dirt . And even requesting cleaning the balconies were not clean , which prevented the use with small children . Another point to consider is that in this region the buildings are very high and therefore the sun on the beach and in the pools ended around 4 o'clock in the afternoon , even the sun setting at 7:30 at night .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RosaTiritilli
AcqualinaManagement, General Manager at Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Ms. Tiritilli,

Thank you so very much for your feedback and comments.

I was delighted to have had the opportunity to share with you, already, that we have reviewed your comments and undertaken steps to review the cleaning standards of the balconies and ensure that none of our guests experience service deficiencies in the future.

I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to personally welcome you back to Acqualina, soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Acquilina used to be my favorite place in Miami. My last visit earned it 5 Stars and unqualified raves.
It is well located, well designed, well built and well run. The entrance works, the lobby feels spacious and the staff is friendly and well trained.
The suites are notably big and well furnished and the view of the beach is what I come to SoFla for (Except the bright morning sun).
The food and service are more than adequate poolside or bar side. The sushi is fresh and tasty after 5 pm. Il Mulino’s is il Mulino. I never thought it was amongst New York’s finest and it is the same here and as pricey.
Entering or exiting is quite an auto show. I have never seen more Rolls Royce’s in a row even at a dealer. Their number overwhelms the number of Ferrari, Lamborghini’s and Maseratti’s.
On the negative side, the gym is a little small and cramped especially when an owner’s private trainer is using all the mat space, and the gym is laid out such that it is impossible to use a treadmill with a sea view. There is room to expand the facility but management has seen fit not to do so.
But the bigger snakes in paradise; construction noise and lack of cell service.
It is hard to find a place in Sunny Isles that does not have construction next door and it is not particularly disruptive, even by the pool but I resent the owner of Acquilina developing the adjacent property, with another 45 story building of ridiculously priced condos and ask me to accept the inconvenience; especially at the prices Acquilina charges.
The total lack of cell service in the building is most disturbing, and the reason I may not return. I tried to text for my car (nice feature) and the text never went. My incoming calls went to voicemail and my outgoing went the way of the text. I complained to the concierge whose response was in effect “everyone complains”
The Breakers years ago had trouble with cell signals bouncing on the ocean but they put a booster in. Construction seems to be concrete, not steel, so a booster would work. I cannot imagine how the owners tolerate this void except as many are Russian they are causing the interference to prevent the KGB or NSA from eavesdropping.
So while Acquilina is a great and beckoning reason to stay in Sunny Isles I am not certain I may not choose the less opulent St Regis in nearby Bal Harbor for a quieter and more connected stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank venamo
AcqualinaManagement, Vice Chairman and Principal at Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Venamo,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your latest stay with us on TripAdvisor. I would like to express my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to the development next door, the lack of cellular service, and for not meeting your expectations in regards to the fitness center. Although we are limited in our ability to impact the development next door, we take feedback very seriously and will communicate your concerns to the developer. We are currently evaluating the fitness center space with the hopes of expanding and providing the latest in fitness technology in the near future. In addition, cellular coverage is also being investigated in order to better serve you and all of our guests.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally and hope to gain your patronage again.

Deborah Yager Fleming

1 Hotel South Beach
#9 of 210 in Miami Beach
Sole on the Ocean
#3 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach

Been to Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach? Share your experiences!