“Pretty good”

Dining options: Reservations
San Antonio, Texas
“Pretty good”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We came to Philip Ho after not being so enthused of the Latin restaurants down the parking lot, and we weren't disappointed! I had the Orange Chicken and my fiance had the General Tso Chicken, and it was all amazing! They do a dinner special and what you get with it is a bowl of soup - whichever you like, an egg roll, and a ton of fortune cookies at the end. We were a little confused about who exactly was serving us, since we had three different servers come up to us...eh...OH, and PLEASE do not come in 10-15 minutes before closing time, c'mon people!

• Visited July 2012

Miami, Florida
“Go here for good food, not the ambiance”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Mother's Day, you know it is tough to get a spot anywhere, but I called Chef Ho's spot and they said they couldn't guarantee a seat right away but come now, so my son and I headed on over. We found ourselves at a spot formally known as Emerald Coast (also an Asian restaurant) in a Sunny Isles Beach strip mall; I know this mall well since it used house a Tuesday Morning. We stepped into a crowd at the door but low and behold, the space is cavernous and we were seated immediately. For a hungry Mom, that was a good thing.

Thank goodness for the Dim Sum carts rolling around, I experienced somewhat immediate gratification; however, the nice lady pushing the cart was not anywhere near an English speaker, so it was a struggle to understand what the heck was in those dumplings but finally, the dumplings stuffed with spinach were absolutely yummy; we had a few others, but the spinach was the best.

Well now, let's just say service was not the operative word; my son told me to stop "craning my neck for attention", I laughed, he was right on point - where is the man/woman/waitperson? when are they coming, how about a menu? When we did get a young man to help us, he brought the menus and we found, as we asked questions/ordered, he didn't have a clue about what was what - so much for that. Needless to say, the correct dishes arrived and they were mighty damn good. I am a native San Franciscan and I often lament about the lack of decent Chinese food here in Miami (you see we had to drive all the way to Sunny Isles). This was damn good. Sanbei Chicken, (don't ask, have no idea what was in it, it was absolutely so tender), Curried Rice w/Shrimp and our third dish, Chinese Broccoli, Choy Sum, Bok Choy Tips w/ Minced ginger. I just finished my leftovers for breakfast, still very good.

If you are looking for some sexy, groovy spot to dine, this is NOT the spot; but if you want good Chinese food this is a great spot, especially if you have groups - love the large tables with spining tray in the center.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Robbie B
Florida
“Outstanding”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I've finally found a Dim Sum restaurant in So. Florida that compares well to both NY and San Francisco (and you can throw Hong Kong in there also). Thin dumpling dough that doesn't overpower the fillings. Have never had better chive dumplings. The shrimp dumplings really filled with shrimp. And the scallops were scrumptious. That with either the well prepared Fried Rice or the tasty Chow Fun will leave you happy and satisfied.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Paulr44
Saratoga Springs
“Worst type of bad chinese take out”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Where to start? Sesame chicken was mostly breading, fried rice was mostly frozen peas and carrot cubes, roast duck was dried out and tired, pork dumplings deep fried with bland stuffing. Uniformly bad... and pricey!

Visited April 2012
Westport, Connecticut
“Chinese food that I never tasted before”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The duck was so good that I would keep going back. Duck is generally a dish that you would not eat too often. But, this duck is so moist and delicious and each bite is a pleasure.
The steamed spare ribs with black bean sauce had a flavor that made your mouth water for more. Would go back in a heart beat.

• Visited February 2012