“In pretentious area - this is as good as it gets”

Rice Asian House and Sushi Bar
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
New York
“In pretentious area - this is as good as it gets”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Sunny Isles beach is about as pretentious and lame as an area can get (without being built by a corporation whose mascot is a mouse with giant ears). Accordingly, restaurants tend to be all show and little substance. On that background Rice Asian House and Sushi isn't bad - but that's not much.

They are a busy little place, and between that and somewhat haphazard service - you will be waiting for everything for quite a while. Unfortunately, even if you are hungry enough by the time your food arrives - it still won't delight your palate a whole lot. Sushi is fresh (big plus) but unimaginative and forgettable. Agedashi tofu was dry and chalky.

Prices are appropriately high (it's not formal dining, but when a single sushi roll is $15 I think it qualifies for $$$), atmosphere - unremarkable (unless you enjoy meeting Sunny Isles "locals"), suggested tips begin at 18% - they sure consider their service to be great.

If you are already in this plaza for some reason and crave sushi - go in by all means. If you are considering this place as a special destination - there are dozens of better sushi places within 15 minutes drive.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank bork3000

• Polish first
San Antonio, Texas
“Freaking amazing”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My fiance and I ate at Rice Asian House this past Sunday, and it was beyond our expectations! We both had a bowl of the Miso soup, an order of the Rainbow Roll and Spicy Salmon roll, both were unbelievably delicious. For our entree, we both had the chicken fried rice, and it was probably the best fried rice we've ever had! The service was top-notch as well, I forgot our server's name, but he was so friendly and very attentive! I definitely appreciate this since I am a server/bartender myself. The food was so good that we ate here yesterday afternoon before we flew out to Texas. I'll return here with my fiance when we return to Sunny Isles! Thanks for making our experience here awesome, y'all! :)

1 Thank Chris J
Oslo
“Food and service below expectations”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We tried this place as it was close to our hotel and reviews here on tripadvisor were good.

This restaurant is located at a shopping area with other restaurants and store.

We did not try their sushi so I can not comment on that. Food from the rest of the menu was average, some items were good and some not so good. Portions were huge.

Service was below average. When we asked for some extra soup in our noodle soop (there were too much noodle and too little soup), they would charge us extra. We were a group of 15 people and our bill got to $400+.

I would probably not eat here again.

California Hot Springs, California
“Fabulous Sushi”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great Sushi restaurant, not pretentious,but classy. My daughters love sushi, and they were not disappointed. The service was awesome!
Overall Great food and great experience.

Hobe Sound, FL
“Awesome sushi!”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This was a great sushi restaurant. The usual menu but then it had a wide variety of different types of sushi rolls. Quiet, clean restaurant in shopping center. Food was delicious.

Visited May 2012