“Beautiful exterior but bug infested interior”

Intracoastal Yacht Club
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

A handful of friends and I stayed here for Spring Break weekend and it was the worst decision we ever made. Let me begin with the most important thing, the rooms have cockroaches. The first day we were there one of the girls we stayed with said she saw one in the closet but we all disregarded her. I really wish we wouldn't have. It was a few days later when we all came back to the room and turned the light on to find cockroaches crawling up the walls. The nightstands were not cleaned out and the people before us left some kind of sticky food in the draws which attracted ants. It was literally a house full of bugs. We then realized why we probably got such a good deal on the place. The place itself is actually very nice on the outside and the pool was beautiful. However, the staff was not accommodating at all. I am a pretty easy going person but when I say they were terrible I truly mean it. Each time we tried to talk to someone in person they would walk passed us or tell us they will send someone to speak to us, which they never did. They had no explanation about the bugs and said they never received a complaint like that before, yet when we came home and did some more research on the place we found reviews about people stating they saw cockroaches as well. One of our toilets wasn't working upon arriving and it took five repeated phone calls and hours later before anybody came. All I can is don't be fooled by the exterior like we were and make a decision you will regret.

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank Hailey S

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Located just a short walking distance from the beach and close to shops and restaurants. Valet parking, pool, heated tub, BBQ area, gym, a small shop, concierge, etc - all that you need without paying top dollar.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean views are the best
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Alex F
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I live in the intracoastal yacht club.
I know who the Elite City Stays were. Thankfully - NO MORE. They were crooks and their approach for doing business did not help the community a bit.
Our community is very good. If you book through the booking.com or other "hotel sites" you would be disappointed. It is a residential community, not a hotel, so please, do not expect any of the hotel services. But if you put yourself aside from that, and you would like to enjoy the surroundings - it is a best place you will ever find.
There are number of companies that rent "short term" here and it all depends on your taste and your budget. You can find anything from *** to *****.
Most of the places in Sunny Isles won't allow short term rent, regardless of what you hear. Here you won't feel "somebody's relatives".

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sergey M
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Good value for money. Good location close to shopping and beach. Clean, modern and spacious ++ apartment with a big balcony where you can relax and enjoy the beautiful sea view. The children have a lot of space inside to play.
The apartment has everything you need and is fully equipped with microwave, washing machine, refrigerator with freezer, flat screens, bathtub, cable-tv...
Wifi is complimentary. So is the pool and gym area. We will come back and can recommend this hotel to families with children.

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment on the seaward side
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TranFamilyNorway
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I preface my review by stating that I needed a hotel to accomodate my three daughters, my sister
and myself for the second half of March. I contacted a hotel in Sunny Isles that I stayed in before,
a Hilton. They had a nice beach, a swimming pool the size of a large bath tub, a very minimal
breakfast and most annoying to me, in any hotel, they charged for Wi-Fi and had a daily valet
parking fee of $27. Which is annoying not just for the money, but everytime you needed your
car, Murphy's Law, everyone else needed theirs so you sat and waited and then were expected
to give a tip. So when I called them back to ask if they had a room available, they said yes but
their rate had practically doubled which they explained had to do with the fact that this was the
Easter holiday.

Alot of the other beachfront hotels in Sunny Isles, at least the high-rise ones, had similar rates,
that is to say, outrageously high. So when you add the Florida tax and the valet parking, you are
really overpaying. Which brought me to Intracoastal Residences. I knew the location, which is
good. Its a short walk to Collins Avenue, the main street where there is local access to the beach. A two bedroom suite was reasonably priced, parking and Wi-Fi was free. There was a
fully equipped kitchen, and free access to a spa and swimming pool. So my next step was to
read the reviews. Unfortunately, they were mostly negative and some were extremely negative.
They had to do with the lack of customer service, more the non-responsiveness of management.
So I wrote an email to them and got a very prompt response which basically said, yes, they were
aware of certain shortcomings but they had made improvements. And if I wasnt satisfied, I could
cancel my reservation. So I braced myself and took the plunge.

One thing to understand about this place is that it isnt a hotel in your standard definition of the
term. Most of the units are long term rentals. This Intracoastal is a business within a business.
They own a handful of units which they rent on short-term basis and that is why the people you
would ordinarily speak to at a hotel where you need something, have nothing to do with Intracoastal. Which can make solving a problem a bit daunting.

We arrived to Fort Lauderdale late from New York so we didnt arrive until well after midnight.
There is a guardhouse at the gate who gave us an envelope with our keys and instructions for
the free internet. We drove up to the front door, were greeted by a very pleasant Cuban boy
(most of the staff is Cuban and/or Latin American, quite charming and helpful).

The next day I discovered they had forgotten to include a pass key to the pool and spa. And
so for the next several days I had a hellish experience. I talked to alot of people, got alot of
promises, no action. The height of frustration. Exactly what had been written in the reviews.

Also, if you are a stickler for cleanliness ( my daughters all are) then Residences has a way to
go. Our shower had the same mildew as a previous reviewer had complained about. The rugs
were a bit shabby and needed a good steam cleaning. So this is what was sub-par. What was
good?

The swimming pool and spa on the fifth floor is excellent. Big area, big pool, modern spa with
all conceivable kinds of machines. And long hours from early morning to late evening. The room
we had was big and the beds comfortable and the view of the intracoastal was lovely. But the
best of all was that this management had the good sense to hire JoAnn, a lovely, smart Puerto
Rican woman from New York whose job it is to put things back into normal order. She's highly
organized, polite and efficient. When I finally found out where her office was and told her about
the swimming pool/spa access card, I had it immediately. She gave me hers! Needed fresh
towels? Done. Any other problem? It got solved. And thankfully so because this place has alot
of things going for it and simple good management will make all these bad reviews go away.

There is no breakfast nor restaurant here but we didnt mind it at all. We love breakfast at
Denny's or Epicure, both on Collins Avenue. And fresh fruit in Florida this time of year is just
wonderful, so the frig was always full of watermelon, canteloupe, etc. etc.

The parket valets were always courteous and it took just minutes to get your car. The neighborhood is real nice, quiet and green and walking 10 minutes to the beach is good for you.
And when you consider the rate they charge which includes the Wi-Fi and free parking, Intracoastal is a good deal. And it seemed to me that there are people working there who really
want the place to be better and provide a good vacation memory. The proof: my daughters,
sister and I all felt we would return.

Room Tip: Ask for Building 2, room 910
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Jefflog
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was a great location, close to the beach, close to food. The apartment was stocked with everything that you need. The gym was great and the pool and hot tub were in great shape. It was a great place for my family to stay, with two bathrooms and plenty of closet space was fantastic. We will only stay here from now on. The best thing of it all is how great Globe Quarters was to work with, every question and concern I had were answered quickly and we had no problems with check in, check out. Rozzala was great to work with, and once we got there Zebo was fantastic, they took us through the apt. and went over everything with us, they made us feel very comfortable. The pictures don't do it justice, it was a great experience. We will stay here again in the future, or any other Globe Quarters location.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jim L
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have yet to make our trip to Miami and when I cancelled the booking they never refunded my money. My bank had to take care of it for me. I spoke to a lady 7 days after I cancelled and she told me that it had been refunded and I needed to contact my bank. I spoke with the bank and they informed me that it was still a charge. I called the office back and the same lady answered, put me on hold, came back to the phone and said, It was an error in processing and it would be refunded the same day. I waited and additional 3 days, still no refund. I called back and they sent me to voicemail everytime I called after that for an entire 48 hours. Horrible service. I had to send and email to bookings.com and dispute the charge with my bank. I finally received my refund yesterday and it was only because my bank to care of it. The reason for the cancellation was because of the horrible reviews about trying to get in touch with someone and they were right. I would NEVER book another trip without reading the reviews again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple