“Very disappointing”

GreenLeadersBronze level
canada
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed December 23, 2009

We stayed at Sole on the Ocean Dec 13, 2009 and was very disappointed. This is simply not a hotel and slowly in the processes of converting existing condos into hotel rooms. Rooms are very small for a king suite and lacking in basic room necessities. No chair, no garbage can, no drinking glasses, no ice bucket, and very poor lighting in bathroom. We were travelling with another couple who had booked the same room and their room lacked all of the above including a phone!! When we complained at front desk they told us to check out and would not be refunded because we had booked thru bookit.com. Of course no manager available until next morning. There were no hotel amenties at all.. no vending/ice machines, no dining/eating area,no fitness center and no bar. The lounge is simply a front desk and sofa. Waited for the manager the next morning but he did not show. Left my business card and asked that he email me but of course no response as of it. This hotel is a good 25 min drive from South Beach and technically located at the top northend of the area called Sunny Isles. I agree.. the website looks great but certainly should not be described as a hotel..yet.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jocanadatpc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Polish first
Michigan
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Took a chance with this hotel based only on reviews and web pictures. We stayed for two days prior to a cruise. We had a 16th floor room that had a ocean (to the left) and city (to the right) view. Bedroom with a comfortable king bed. Modern decor and furnishings. Bizarre, but there was no TV in the living area. At check in they offered to leave it in the bedroom or put it in the living area. Kitchen was nice, although if you really wanted to cook something, there were no pots, pans, etc. Area was ok. Not a lot to do if you don't have a car. A few things within walking distance. Dwayne, the front desk person was very helpful. The beach was absolutely georgeous. We had to rent beach chairs and an umbrella. Would have been a nice touch if that were included. Best part may have been the all in one washer and dryer unit in the room. That was very helpful to us. Overall very good stay. Would return.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
Reviewed December 9, 2009

Just got back from our trip to Miami this past weekend. Miami is always fun, the trip would have been great if it wasn't for the hotel. The website is totally deceiving. The lobby has got to be the most deserted lobby i've ever seen. The picture you see on the web site (the sofa lounge chair) is the only thing in the lobby. There's nothing else beside the section for them to check you in. There's barely anyone there, you usually have to wait for them to come out and help you.
The room is extremely small, one of our bathroom lights was broken. The room and bathroom are very poorly lit. It's impossible to do your makeup there.
The staff was not helpful at all. We called to the front desk to ask for the channel to see Monday night football, the response was " i don't know".
They have a tiny, tiny pool and exactly 3 cabanna like section in the pool area.
Some good things about the hotel:
-Great valet staff, very helpful and friendly
-Beds are very comfortable, you'd sleep like a baby
-Heated pool
-Lovely beach

Overall, the hotel was overprice for what its offering and its location ($150 nightly). Do not stay there.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank vuittoniti
Oak Bluffs,Ma
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I was amazed at how beautiful the hotel was when I entered the lobby. When I received the key to my room it was already occupied. Bad start...Down hill from there..Phones dont work. Shower handle fell off, toilet paper holder was hanging. Kitchen sink handle fell off. Then the beach chairs were 10.00 per day each,and we were not even notified until a day after . The hotel has a beautiful kitchen for show. No pans, or glasses or silverware. I called the front desk and was told that I was going to be able to rent a package with basic utensils and such for $25.00 per day. Another extra. The icing on the cake was we were visiting the bar for several days and one day particular I thought the bill was a bit high,I asked for my slip.The bartender looked at me and handed me my slip with a puzzeled look. I looked over the bill and to my surprise the difference in the bill was an 18% gratutity already added to the bill.I said I did not know you added gratutity and he said no one asks for their slip. I was wild, I asked why he never told anyone after we had been tipping 20% for the previous nights,His answer was no one ever asks for the bill he just tells them what is owed. So conclusion is you tip automatically and the bill has a gratutity already added. Not very honest..I think the hotel is very beautiful.The bar manager was a nice fellow but the rest needs work.I would not stay here even if it was free...

wbcbob
Reviewed November 28, 2009

We new that there would not be full services or equipping in some ways due to the incomplete state of the construction. We were very pleased with the room (kitchen, BR), the facilities, and the staff. All the staff from the first contact to the last have been exremely pleasant, helpful and accomodating. Whatever is missing from your particular room will be searched for and provided if possible by the staff (i.e coffee maker). Shopping is nearby and anything lacking can be picked up at nearby Walgreens for under $10.
We had no complaints at all. A preference would have been that the beach chairs be provided to patrons rather than charging $10 per person per chair and more if you wanted a beach umbrella. A little spartan (no frills) in its contents, but very pleasant and enjoyable stay.

1 Thank wbcbob
mwstenly
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We traveled to Miami for the night to pick up our new car and decided to try Sole' due to its location and the attractiveness of the building. As I am a Hotel Manager, I had expected this property, even though it is a condo hotel, to provide hotel services. Was I wrong!
The signage on the building is poorly placed so go slow or you'll miss it.
There is no signage showing where the lobby is so you'll just have to guess.
The lobby is nice but the "clerk" has no idea what they are doing. I was not asked to sign a registration card or even provide a method of payment (I booked and paid online)
Lovely elevators but the hallways although obviously brand new, were covered by NO EXAGERRATION Home Depot 12 inch carpet tiles! You can tell because they are already pulling up the the corners exposing the concrete floor. The room I got also had the same disgusting carpet tiles, and although the room was fairly large the mattresses were virtually on the floor. Not a single picture on the wall. No luggage rack. A single plastic outdoor chair in the room. Not one piece of stationery, no guest directory even though the telephone says to refer to the directory for information. Beautiful view was no consolation. Pull out the sink drawer in the bathroom looking for a water glass and the drawer fell apart in my hand. I kid you not. By the way, there WAS NO WATER GLASS in the room. The bathroom was lovely except they forgot to put a simple thing like to soap dish in the shower so everything has to go on the floor.
In summary, this property so no hotel, although it could easily be a beautiful and profitable one if the obviously cheap owners got their act together and decided to make a go of it. Unfortunately it is also obvious the property is in deep deep financial trouble and they are hoping there are sufficient unsophisticated travellers out there to take them up on a one time stay.

Dont buy here....and dont stay here.

Wash DC
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Let me just say that whenever this hotel is finished; it'll probably be great! As of right now its okay but needs improvement. Considering the low price I paid per night It was of great value HOWEVER much of what posted on the site re: its amenities in the rooms are not necessarily true. I booked a ocean view double. It was very dark in the room expect for the day time when we open the curtains. There were 2 SMAll lamps that provide little light to the room. No clock and/or MP3 Ipod docking station. The phone was inoperable, no coffee maker, no hangers were available in the closet. No extras like pillows or blankets. Only 2 towels provided for the stay unless requested. The cleaning crew didn't come around until late in the evening either. We were told that the King suites MIGHT have those amenities to include a microwave etc but no guarantee. The person in the rm beside us puffed on a cigar every am which came into our room but the hotel staff said they couldn't find the smoke when they went to his/her room which couldn't be inspected because the person didn't open the door. Hmmm that's prob smart in a non-smoking hotel. There wasn't even an offer to move us to another room but rather we should open the balcony door. THANKS SOLE FOR THE 2ND HAND SMOKE!
There's no room service or restaurant located on the premises. The gym isn't finished yet (understandable) the Poolside bar doesn't have food UNLESS requested during the NON-PUBLICIZED few hours of meal deals... U don't smell anything cooking or even know that they serve food. Pool Cabanas are cute a lil dirty but cute. The beach is AWESOME but you have to pay for each chair you use and the Umbrella as well. I believe it was $10/chair & $20-$30?? for ur 'brella each day.. the towels will be billed to the room if not returned to the specific person who gives them to you. These are all usually complimentary in resorts and/or beach hotels: at least where I've stayed. Again there isn't a periodic cabana boy or girl asking if you like a drink but staff complained that there's no traffic to the bar. It prob would be if they turned the music up had a menu and advertised food/drink specials, etc! No wkend beach parties or anything like that.
DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT TO PARTY!!! SBeach is about 30minutes away so rent a car or pay the $75each way cab fare. U could do the $2 bus but it runs sparsely after 12am. Sunny Isles is more of a laid back well-to-do Retirement Community. :) Tony Romas & the Peruvian Chicken spot were the best meals. The malls were breaths of fresh air! Good Mix of stores. However, if I were to return I'd have a car and hope that some changes have been made.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
The Confidante
#33 of 207 in Miami Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,753 reviews
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,104 reviews
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,399 reviews

Been to Sole on the Ocean? Share your experiences!