“Not a Bad Place, Not a Bad Price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort

You added Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort to your Saves list
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18401 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160 (Formerly Days Hotel Thunderbird Beach Resort Miami)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Lexington, Kentucky
“Not a Bad Place, Not a Bad Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

After having already booked this hotel online, and then coming to read the reviews (in that order) I was worried as to the cleanliness and comfortability of this property, however when I arrived I found a nice, clean hotel with a friendly(ish) staff that was willing to help when needed. The lobby was bright and clean, with lots to look at, and even a classic car that, well.. honestly needs a little TLC but still looked cool. We found our room (a nice two room suite with a full kitchen) and it didn’t have a view of the ocean, but was very nice for the price we paid. It’s a quick walk to the local grocery store (Publix) so if you wanted to stock up on food to save money (like we did) you can do so. It’s also a quick walk to a few fast food places, and of course.. the beach is less than 1 minute from your room door.

The negative reviews on here talking about cleanliness must have been there at a bad time, because it was very clean, and I saw multiple people cleaning every time I walked into the hotel. I would suggest valet parking to anyone, as it’s the better option and if your car vandalized, it’s not your responsibility.

All-in-All if you have a problem with an older property, then chances are you’re going to go spend mega bucks to stay at Trump, but if you’re trying to save money, this hotel will not let you down. I plan on going back, and I NEVER say that about hotels.

Good Job Thunderbird.

Room Tip: Get Room 202!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shane B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Turkish first
Somerset, U.K
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I have been visiting this hotel every year for the last 20+ years. When I was a child with my family, when I got married for my honeymoon and then with my 2 children and my family also. This last visit was cut short as we decided that we cannot stay here any more. Each year it has deteriorated and each year we see the bad reviews on here but go back as we love the location and the Ocean view. This year within an hour of parking in the parking lot our car ws hit and damaged by another guest who drove off without leaving their details. The hotel are not interested and have no CCTV, despite a parking attendant they hire at weekends to stop the public parking in the lot to visit the beach they dont seem to care about their guests waiving any responsibility. The Trump publicity car that has been parked in the lot for some time and has been completely vandalised, we should never have left our car there when we saw that. Furthermore when we got to check in, they had cancelled our reservation and therefore we missed out on the specific room that we had requested and had been promised to us. We ended up with one much further along than we had asked for with not such a great view of the ocean. When you go to use the pool, the pool staff are not friendly and just sat at their desk when they were not going for a swim in the ocean. Quick to tell a family off for taking a lounger too far from the pool desk but not quick enough to attend to new guests to see if they need lounger or towels etc which are charged for at an extornitate daily rate! Pool staff in my opinion are lazy and unapproachable. We were kept awake all night by a noisy family next door and in the morning when we went to go to the pool we were greeted by a disgusting mess that I nor my family were prepared to spend the day in. There were cigarette butts in the pool and plastic cups. There were bottles everywhere, it was worse than we have ever seen it before! The pool is looking dirty and the jacuzzi also with a green tinge. The pool opens at 8am according to the signs, it was 9:30 and the pool staff or housekeeping should have been out before the pool opened cleaning it up! You can tell that Joey no longer works the pool as it was never like this when he was pool Manager! We checked out without visiting the pool and to add insult to injury was charged for parking and for the loungers as well as full room rate for the night. Thunderbird you really have to clean your act up before we would consider returning and you could at least try to seem a bit more apologetic as when I reported this to the Receptionist when I checked out he didnt really seem to care all that much as neither did the Receptionist that told us you had cancelled our booking in error when we checked in! Maybe it was fate and we should have just checked in somewhere else that day. You wasted my holiday unpacking, packing back up least you could do is say you are sorry!

Room Tip: All the rooms are old, be prepared for this but you can get some with a great ocean view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank MRSCHAWKS
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

As long as you do not go expecting an amazing 3/4 Star hotel (By UK standards) then you should be fine. I think previous reviews are very harsh.

We booked through Virgin and it was by a good chunk the cheapest place in Miami, you can see why its cheap but in our opinion was one of the reasons why we enjoyed our holiday so much.

Basically we just wanted a room by a beach with all the basics i.e clean and air con. We got everything we wanted a clean but extremely dated hotel right on the beach front. Its a shame most hotels in the area are turning into skyscrapers because this had the idea set up, 3 floors surrounding a pool with the beach in the background.

The bits you want to know; If you book a room you definitely need to upgrade to either a pool or ocean view otherwise you will be looking over a car park and building site.

If you have not booked through Virgin you will be charged per day to use basic amenities i.e sun beds by the pool, wifi and most importantly parking .
Luckily we booked with Virgin where we got free self parking, otherwise its $10 a valet parking then a charge for Wifi, sunbeds etc. Which sure adds up to the holiday budget!

The spa that consisted of what looked like a Jacuzzi was shut for the two weeks we were there.
Where as the pool was extremely clean and the beach was incredible.

If you have booked through Virgin you have the extra bonus of a Virgin On-site Concierge Margaret who was brilliant. Where as the hotels answer to customers service was awful and I am pretty sure didn't even want to talk to us.

Over all we loved the fact it was a classic style Motel right on the beach 10 steps away from our rooms door but is let down by the fact everything is aged and tired. I am sure it will be swallowed up by a big company and turned into a high rise. Which is a shame because all it needs in a proper renovation.

Room Tip: Pool side or Ocean view is a must.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beemer51
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I know this place is probably on the verge of being torn down but they could at least make sure the air is working in all of the rooms. We stayed two nights and mentioned to the front desk numerous times about the air not working properly in our room. A guy showed up once and checked to see if the air vent was open then said he would be right back and never showed up again. The gal at the front desk wasn't very friendly either. The second day we were there we wanted to get ice for the cooler and none of the ice machines were working at all....pretty crazy! Oh and none of the vending machines were working either. The water pressure in the shower was really bad...I had to rinse my hair from the faucet in the tub. It's really a shame too because these old hotels are hard to come by and with a little TLC it could really be great!!

Room Tip: Make sure the air is working
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank pmcraig67
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

If you're looking on staying steps away from the beach, blue ocean view, balconies rooms and clean beach for low price than this place is for you. I have stayed a few times and I been happy each time. Also its in a safe area, 20 minutes from downtown Miami, 15 minutes from south beach, 20 minutes from Hollywood beach. There is grocery store incase you wanna cook in your mini kitchen in your room and many more other shopping places and restaurants. The staff are friendly. The only complaint the parking sucks and its about $12 a day in which is cheaper compared to other Miami hotels and I think the place needs some sort of entertainments. But overall my girlfriend and I have enjoyed our times here compared to other places we have stayed in Miami.

• Stayed February 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I booked one night (6/20 - 6/21, 2014) at this hotel. I stayed here many years ago as a 14 year old and had such fond memories of this property. A lot has changed in 40 years. The hotel is in need of a complete renovation. The pool and spa were filthy, restaurant is also run down. The gentleman who was working the front desk was impolite and unhelpful. After surveying the grounds before checking in, I decided to cancel my reservation and head for a Sheraton. (It was about the same price.) I know this property is on the beach, but the overall filth of the outside grounds was enough to convince me to move on. I didn't even care if they charged me.

It's a shame to see the decline of what used to be a very nice hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Ralph M
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Smart hotel. Great beach location for Miami attractions. Close to the Sun life stadium as I was there to watch a match. Nice Hollywood style diner. Friendly staff. Although a taxi costs $50 to Bayside and downtown for Miami Heat and South Beach. Apparently there is a bus that costs a couple of dollars.

Room Tip: Obviously there are ocean front rooms with Ac but these cost a bit more.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Deauville Beach Resort
#159 of 206 in Miami Beach
3.0 of 5 stars 3,755 reviews
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 stars 3,013 reviews
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Re...
#7 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.0 of 5 stars 1,645 reviews

Been to Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort? Share your experiences!