“SUNSHINE”

Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Stillwater, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

My mother and I spent a week Feb 18-25, 2014. I was a bit nervous about some bad reviews, but we thought it was wonderful. Granted; the rooms are a bit dated, but they were clean, and all had balconies. The Jacuzzi was too hot for me, but my mother thought it was just right. She wasn't happy unless she'd spent twice a day in it. The pool was fine. We didn't go to Florida in February for a frenetic sight seeing tour; we went to get away from several feet of snow and months of subfreezing, oftentimes subzero weather, and just relax. We rented a car, and only used it to go to and from the airport. The car was a waste of money.
There is no hotel shuttle, but easy transportation nonetheless.
I rate room service as poor, because there isn't any. I also did not go to Florida to sit alone with my mother in our room.
What I liked best about this hotel was number one the staff. Except for one exception, they were all incredibly friendly and efficient, if a bit slow. From the concierge to the bartenders to the waiters and waitresses to the pool staff to housekeeping, they were a pleasure. I also loved that every day, there were several group activities..bingo every day, silly games every afternoon (horseshoes, darts, swim races, egg toss, balloon relay), some event every evening (concerts, movies, trivial pursuit, karaoke). Also, the fact that it just felt like a family. People have booked the same place year after year, and when they get together, it's like a family reunion. I will say that this hotel is I think owned by French Canadians, which I thought was very cool. French and English (mostly New England English) predominate, but most of the staff are also fluent in, from what I could hear by eavesdropping, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, German, and maybe Hebrew. It's one of the few hotels left which is not a high rise; 4 stories plus a 5th floor penthouse. Their focus is on friendship. I am going back next year.

Room Tip: The Salon is on the second floor. They do mani/pedis, too. I took a peek into a room across the ha...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Pat W
Chesterfield, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights after getting off a cruise & it was horrible. We got to the room about 5 pm and had to ask someone to come vacuum, stuff was all over carpet! Wear something on your feet at all times, carpet has a sticky feeling. Fridge didn't work & had to call maintenance. After trying 3 outlets finally got it to worked. The Safe broke 2nd day there and had to call maintenance again, had to keep valuables in our car because they didn't show up until later in day to fix it and we had to leave. The vent in the shower was caked with dust and dirt. The elevator was out of order 80% of the time and we were on 3rd floor. We had to dust the top of the radio and table it was on to use it, you couldn't even see the top of the radio! The walls are super thin. The people in the room next to us fought late into the night and it was like we were in the same room with them. Every time we started to fall asleep they would start in again. The next couple had a baby who's crying kept us up late and woke us very early. Staff was very unfriendly, we were never greeted when we came in or left except by the valet who was the only friendly person there. Paid $166/night first night and $122/night for remainder + $12/day to park & $11/day for pool & beach which we did not use. Water in hot tub was green and cloudy. This was more like a $45-$60/night hotel depending on location. My recommendation is to RUN! Find another place to stay even if you have to pay a little more.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karen G
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Sad to give this hotel my lowest ever review score, our main issue was the location. There are plenty of facilities nearby and the beach is stunning, but this hotel is 180 streets from where most tourists will want to visit.

That's an hour each way standing on a very busy local bus for $2.25 each or a taxi would be at least $30 and 20-25 minutes.

Also during our stay there was no shuttle service available and I doubt it would have suited our needs.

The hotel itself is out dated, the fixtures and fittings are old and look tired and there are maintenance issues in terms of the lifts, pool area and bathroom. Sadly there was a slight smell in the public spaces, decoration was poor although the room was generally clean.

We had booked the hotel via Virgin Holidays and I think most of their customers would be surprised this was a in their brochure. In fact I believe that the area rep was based at Thunderbird but didn't see anything of them during our short stay.

The included breakfast was very basic, a single bagel with coffee and juice and we had to ask for a voucher each morning.

The staff we saw did the basics but little else during our short stay. Sorry Thunderbird but I think the future is closing in on your from both sides in the form of high rise complexes being built each side of you.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David B
Dix Hills, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

I grew up in this hotel. Many Italian families from New York, Boston, Cleveland and Detroit have been going here for over the past 50 years. Most of us bought condos in the Sunny Isles area back when it was good old Miami Beach. This hotel has alot of character and if these walls could talk I would be producing the Oscar Movie of the year. Staying here was the best times of my life. I guess it's an "Italian Thing". Snobs need not apply.

Room Tip: Ocean front!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Kim S
West Midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

This hotel is basic. There are mosquitos everywhere. Hotel is very dated and in desperate need of decoration. The cleaners do the best, towels are changed everyday and bins emptied. We upgraded to a superior room to have view of the beach, its one of the worst rooms I've ever stayed in, however, the seaview was picturesque. Hotel is cheap you get what you pay for!!! No frills, bed to sleep on, tv with basic channels. Not recommended!!!

Room Tip: KFC & Burger King across the road. Publix supermarket also across the road. S bus runs regular...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
#166 of 207 in Miami Beach
3.0 of 5 bubbles 4,549 reviews
Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Re...
#7 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.0 of 5 bubbles 2,019 reviews

Been to Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort? Share your experiences!