“An Old Gem”

Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I think everyone has mentioned this hotel and its pros and cons. I can echo all the pros, the only cons are its showing its age, but then a major revamp would be very expensive and Im sure the site would be bought by someone else rather than this. Nice pool, amazing location straight onto the beach. The balcony overlooking the pool made a great stage to watch the storm. It was fun wading through ankle deep water to my car in the car park the following morning after the storm

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stevo25
Write a ReviewReviews (1,154)

Reviewed April 22, 2013

First we have to say...the price was right for being right on the beach....but.... don't expect much of a smile from the staff! We never felt like they wanted us there. The reason it seems so noisy is that all the floors are tile and it echos while rolling luggage down the halls. It kind of looks like a hospital.
If you bring a car...you have to pay $12 per day to park it and it's valet only! There is also a "resort fee" on top of your rate...so be sure to figure that in.
We had breakfast at the cafe on site...it was ok. The grounds were clean and the location was great. The rooms were clean but nothing to write home about. If you're looking for plush....you might want to try something else.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HideawayCouple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We canceled our reservation in this hotel due to the bad reviews, but we were curious about it and went for a look. We asked the personnel to let us see the rooms and have a look at the hotel, at first, the lady at the counter was not so nice and just say that the hotel was completely booked, but the guy besides her, I believe his name was Lionel, we was very friendly and agreed to show us a room. We saw a room with beach and pool front, the rooms are OK, it is true that they are not the most fancy thing in the world and that they need better maintenance, but the room we saw was clean and was OK. It has a great advantage of the beach and pool in fron of the hotel, but it has a big problem with parking, it is too costly (8 dollars for self parking, 10 for valet, PER DAY). We did not try the breakfast and cannot say anything about it. Besides that, I believe this is not so bad hotel, it could be better though.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PaulFerdinand
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is our 5th stay at the Thunderbird, this year we had a pool view which makes all the difference to our stay we could sit on the balcony have a drink and watch the people on the beach or around the pool.
Yes the hotel is a little tired in places but you do see staff constantly carrying out small repairs to keep things together.
Our interaction with all staff is positive,i'm not good at names but concierge and the guy in reception with a pony tail could not do enough to help with any issues. we had a joke and a laugh with the pool staff.
Drinks and music at the pool bar was fun.
Great 50's style dinner on site.
Entertainment most nights in the restaurant although we did not attend, it looked fun.
Overall we had a great time

Room Tip: Try and get a pool view it makes a difference.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jamesadrian
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The only good thing about this resort is it's location. & price. Although the staff is pleasant & helpful. The hotel is very dated noisey & not particularly clean. The hallways & rooms are tiled so very sound is magnified. Continental breakfast is included but it is skimpy. The pool is very nice & the hotel is on the beach but this didn't out weight everything else for us. Would much prefer to pay more for quality & comfort

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 5 days during the Sony Open season.... the city was booked and prices were really high so stayed at the Thunderbird at Sunny Isles. It has a really good location.... it is next to theTrump Tower in Sunny Isles and has the same beach as them...although the rooms are old, carpet kind of dirty, beds not so comfortable.....it is a beach front hotel and the beach is glorious... beautiful sand and sea.
They charge you an additional fee for usage of beach and internet, this is not included on rate.
It is close to everthing....5 minutes from Aventura Mall. I you don´t want to spend more than $100 a night then this is a great option.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a view to the beach
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cayetana
Reviewed March 14, 2013

checked in and went to my room to find the air con was not working went to reception and was asked had I tuned it on! Which was not the sort of response I expected but was assured that it would be fixed! Three hours later returnsed to my room to find no change a boiling hot and sticky room. Went to reception and spoke to the staff who said they would move me to a new room given a new room. Which when collected my bags and want to it to find it had not been cleaned or made up ( dirty pizza boxed and dirty bedding) went streight to reception. To be question if I was sure! So was given another room which I went to and again a dirty un made room. At this point I was not impressed, returned to reception and the staff did not seem to care no appology nothing. This happened for 3 other rooms and which was all not cleaned at this point I had lugged my luggage round 5 other rooms. At this point I was told their was no other rooms only my original room with no air con. So I had no choice but to take that room. The fact the staff did not even care was most annoying.
The next morning of check out I was then told I had to pay $12.00 of a resort fee this i had not advised of and had no paper work given to me to advise me this was the case Please can you confirm if that's correct as I was most unhappy with the experience I had received!

• Stayed: March 2013
Sole on the Ocean
Sole on the Ocean
#4 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Residence Inn Miami Sunny Isles Beach
Residence Inn Miami Sunny Isles ...
#8 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Hampton Inn Hallandale Beach/Aventura
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Re...
#7 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach

Been to Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort? Share your experiences!