“Do your research before you go”

Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have given this an average rating solely because the hotel is an old building that is showing it's age, it is not a 4 star Hotel. However I would definitely stay there again as I have stayed many times before and I love the place, but it depends on what you are expecting. I like; The Location - on the beach, Sunny Isles is a great safe place to stay. Plenty of shops, restaurants, bars and things to do locally. Access to South beach and Aventura Mall by shuttle (free) or by Bus $2 - the transit system gives you access to much of Miami if you give it a go. Great value - where else are you going to get this price to stay on a beach like this? Simple "old" Florida - there is not much like this left . It's a vestige of the old Mom and Pop places. Our room was spacious, clean, comfortable but it's old, not a Marriott. I find the staff most friendly and helpful - go and meet Carmen or Gizelle at the beach bar they will make you most welcome and it's a lovely place to relax and look at that lovely ocaen and beach. Downsides - the walls are thin and lots of rooms do join (by locking door) so noise can be an issue - depending on your neighbours, but that could happen anywhere. There are no carpets on the corridors just tile and rolling suitcases do make a lot of noise.

If you are looking for a 4* Hotel with a modern feel than this is not for you, if you want a great value base for a beach Holiday that is clean and comfortable and accept that its not a boutique hotel you will love it like many of us do. They were even painting rooms and walls on Christmas Day: its a bit like your favourite slippers, comfortable if a little warn but lovely to be in.

Room Tip: I actually prefer rooms on the north side on a higher floor overlooking Turnberry resort as it's...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Martin D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,155)

Reviewed December 26, 2012

For the price, it is a deal! Rooms are clean, comfortable, quiet at night; old ? yes it is but I don't buy the hotel, I just want a hideaway. We have everything we need even a mini kitchen (that we don't need). Old tv, but so what, it it working properly. Free wifi everywhere in the hotel. Valet service for $10 per day, not per in and out. And the best of all is the beach. I know there is a spa that I did not try. There is also restaurant on the site managed by Quebecers people. I did not eat there yet but I will try. Good find overall.

Room Tip: The sea view from the balcony is not exactly a sea view, so don't pay for it or reserve a full s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I am writing this review to provide feedback on customer service at this hotel. I have never stayed at this hotel, my grandparents have stayed here 3 times in the last 5 years. I have booked this hotel for them. They have enjoyed staying here, it is a good location, right next to the beach, and close to the airport. They have enjoyed their stay at this hotel. My grandparents don’t speak English very well, but the hotel representatives have always managed to help them with whatever they needed. This year, I specifically called the hotel and have asked for additional support and help to my grandparents, who are elderly and don’t speak English well, I was very concerned with them being alone there and wanted to ensure they get extra help and support if needed. I contacted the manager at the hotel, Michael Lewis (not sure if I spelled his name correctly). Michael has been a huge help, was very understanding and helpful and made sure that my grandparents were taken care of during their stay this my past October. My grandparents enjoyed their stay at this hotel and had a great time. A big thank you to Michael Lewis for being very responsive, and for providing outstanding and immediate customer service. If other hotels out there had managers like Michael, the customer service at these hotels would have been significantly improved.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank IMAXtravel
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Location is good (near the beach and shopping center), And this is all. It is old, dirty with rusting bathroom, greasy tables and chairs on the terrace. There are hidden fees (in the end it is 130 $/night with parking). On the top of this staff is unbelievably unpolite. In spite of the fact that our colleague checked to Thunderbird presenting his ID, he was actually staying at and paid by his own credit card, hotel staff (Beata Reyes, Andre and Manager) refused to issue an invoice to his name and address in extremely rude manner. Staff was yelling at us!!! Believe me: you can do much better with this money in Florida!
I had a fruitful stay and met fantastic people in Miami but I deeply regret that overall Thunderbird hotel ruined my positive impression concerning customer treatment in USA.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Blobik
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel is really nice and comfortable. The rooms were nice and clean with 2 double beds and a balcony, even though ours was overlooking the car park it was still nice to have. The pool area is absolutely fantastic with a big swimming pool, hot tub, poolside bar & restaurant, and the beautiful beach is right there at the back of the hotel! There are 2 supermarkets just across the road and there is a bus service to South Beach which is about 20-30 mins drive. The staff were very helpful and friendly, especially the cleaning staff.

It is a nice hotel but a bit far out of the action of South Beach for me so I probably wouldn't stay here again just for that reason.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Look don't listen to the bad reviews, the hotel is clean, very good value for money and all the hotel staff are really friendly. The hotel is a distance from south beach but only $2 on the bus, the bus stop is just outside the front of the hotel, and a 10 min bus ride to the mall for also $2. There is a also a supermarket just across the road, the beach is perfect you really cant fault it, a nice pool with really friendly pool staff. I really like this hotel and have been back four times and will continue to use this hotel. People shouldn't moan I feel this is a great hotel and good value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The staff is rude and lacking professionalism and communication skills. The entire experience from check-in to check-out was frustrating and stressful. I had to fight for the room I had reserved and then the wrong number was given to the car valet. The beds in the room slide across the floor and cannot be locked in place so that when you prop against the headboard you fall over backwards as the bed slides out from under you. Ther was no hotel directory or room service menu in the room. A call to the front desk got the response, " yeah, so?". At one point the room attandant walked into the room without announcing herself and at 9am on check out day she beat on the door asking for the dirty towels and was unwilling to wait till check out even though I requested that she come back. Extremely noisy guests running and slamming doors kept us awake most of the night. Calling the front desk did no good. At check-out, the desk clerk asked me to sign both her copy and my copy of the credit card slip and leave both with her but could not explain why she needed two. Upon questioning, she flung it at me across the desk. Three good things about this location.....the view of the ocean is incredible, if you can get the right room. The maintenance man is fast, friendly and knowledgeable and the little onsite restaurant is good, although it has changed from the one still being advertised.

Room Tip: The better, ocean front rooms can only be booked directly with the hotel, according to the rude desk...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Sole on the Ocean
Sole on the Ocean
#4 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Residence Inn Miami Sunny Isles Beach
Residence Inn Miami Sunny Isles ...
#8 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Hampton Inn Hallandale Beach/Aventura
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Re...
#7 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach

Been to Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort? Share your experiences!