“If you like PRETENTIOUS”
Review of Il Mulino - Miami

Il Mulino - Miami
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Mulino - Miami is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is the place to go if you enjoy dining in an over the top 1950's suburban steakhouse pseudo-elegant atmosphere with tuxedo clad waiters hovering, and stiff, formalized service.

I will say that the wait staff is superbly trained in formal service. However, between the decor and the formalities, my husband said he felt like he was dining with "The Munsters".

The experience begins with the offering of numerous "free" breads and appetizers. You have to be impressed. But that turned out to be the highlight of the meal.

Considering the reputation of Il Mulino and the prices, we expected an extraordinary dining experience. But we were disappointed. Ordering from the regular menu, the food preparation was nothing special. The gnocchi in pesto basil sauce....prepared tableside.... was bland. The grilled veggies were oily. While the ricotta cheesecake was very good, it was NOT the best I've ever had. At $13 for a slice of cake, I expect to be wowed.

The only bright spot was the branzino for $62 which we shared. However, it's served with absolutely NO accompaniments. Be forewarned...for $62.

I can think of several, upscale Italian restaurants in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale with REALLY great food at less exhorbitant prices.

But Il Mulino appeared to me to be all show and no substance.

If you are interested in the Miami Spice menu, it will NOT be offered when you are seated. Even on the evenings when it is offered, you must specifically ask for it which is kind of TACKY. If a restaurant is going to participate in the MS program, they should offer the menu freely. They are obviously trying to have it both ways....entice people to come and then not offer them the menu.

The real pretentiousness is revealed when you order wine by the glass. The menu offers wine by the glass STARTING at $14 a glass !!! It should be safe to assume you are getting a decent wine PROPERLY SERVED at those prices in this type of restaurant.

However, your glass of wine will be served to you in 99-cent Libbey stemware like they sell at Walmart. I wanted to point this out to the sommelier. But I couldn't find one.

I did notice that if you ordered wine by the bottle, the server did bring the correct stemware to the table. I guess the management feels that people who order only a glass don't know how to properly appreciate wine anyway.

Note to Management: At ALL the other upscale restaurants where we dine, we are always served wine by the glass in the CORRECT stemware for that type of wine from a stemware manufacturer that is respected...Reidel or similar. There is no excuse for 99-cent stemware in your restaurant. Shame shame.

1  Thank pacosmom

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We loved our meal at IL Mulino! The servers were attentive but not intrusive. Their wine selection is just right for their meal selection. I had the Branzino and the squid ink pasta. OMG!! Amazing. Others in my party had the same experience. I highly recommend this restaurant

Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Very nice little restaurant. Food is amazing, priced fairly and great wines. Bartender Erica is very friendly and pleasant. Owner seems very friendly and passionate.

Would give it a 5 if it weren't for the arrogant and inappropriate comments of one of the managers (maybe owners son?). They don't seem to notice that customers are hearing their arguments and comments about patrons.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

An insult on one's senses was the Mother's Day Brunch at this poor excuse for a sister to the fine NYC restaurant . $150 for cold eggs for 2 and had to ask for silverware and salt and pepper.When I complained, I received 2 free mimosas and an inappropriate kiss on the cheek. Better service at Denny's down the street. The jazz combo was fab , but the place was a disaster , followed by a 40 minute wait for my car. What a lovely way to celebrate my fabulous 84 year old mother...

1  Thank TNTNYC
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Elegant place..good food...decor rich Italian...very attentive staff...must reserve...book and arrive early for best table...

1  Thank Bobbyb120