Costa Alegre Hotel and Suites
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Posada Real(Rincon de Guayabitos)
View Hotel
Hotel & Suites Mar y Sol(Rincon de Guayabitos)
View Hotel
Las Cabanas del Capitan(Rincon de Guayabitos)
View Hotel
Las Casitas(Rincon de Guayabitos)
  • Pool
Hotel Loma Linda(Rincon de Guayabitos)
View Hotel
Casablanca Resort(Rincon de Guayabitos)
View Hotel
Villas Dulce Suenos(Rincon de Guayabitos)
  • Pool
Decameron Los Cocos(Rincon de Guayabitos)
  • Breakfast included
Villas Buena Vida(Rincon de Guayabitos)
  • Beachfront
Torreblanca Suites(Rincon de Guayabitos)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 25, 2010

The resort itself was good but we stayed all inclusive and the food was terrible, meaning everything was cooked in oil even the omelettes and there wasen't much variety, mostly the same food everyday. Having been out first time in Guayabitos we were not impressed. The beds were rock hard. We would wake up with a sore back every morning. The hotel was very noisy especially when the local mexicans came and stayed for the ash Wednesday holiday for 3 days. The restaurant was packed with Mexicans and kids and very dirty. They would run out of food and would not replace it so if you went to eat later you were out of luck. The food is a big factor when you go on a vacation and this resort was definately not worth the money. We ended up eating out at different restaurants in the area the last week as we did not like any of the food. Even the salads tasted bad and we felt sick a few times. Also the rooms need some upgrades and especially the beds, unbelievably rock hard.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dawnaroo21
Reviewed August 4, 2008

My experience at Costa Alegre was not that good. The food variety was not that great. It will be the same breakfast everyday and in my own experience I had stomach trouble. The rooms where clean which was good but yet the last two days I was there I found a couple of roachs and they were the big ones, nasty, the ones that fly.

The only good thing about Costa Alegra is that the staff there is very friendly and nice..
Overall the whole experience was bad and I do not recommend Costa Alegre to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank lettyg
Reviewed March 12, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Costa Alegre from Feb 8 - 22 2008 and we would definitely return to this hotel. It is an all-inclusive but it is not at all like most all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, DR, Cuba etc. Think of it as a Mexican hotel that happens to include food and drinks. It is located in a cute, very safe, small, sleepy Mexico resort town which is great to wander around and souvenir shop when you want a change from the beach. This is not like your typical all-inclusive compound that could be in any hot weather country. This is a hotel that gives you a bit of a feel for Mexico.
We felt very safe and secure staying here and had no problems whatsoever with our valuables.
This hotel caters to mostly Mexican tourists (families, couples),Canadians and a few Americans. Weekdays it seemed to be around 70-30 Canadians to Mexicans and on the weekends, 70-30 Mexicans to Canadians.
They did a traditional Mexican stage show on Sunday nights which wasn't flashy but was entertaining in a folksy way.
The hotel has the usual free kayaks, boogie boards and snorkel gear. It has an excellent location right on the beach with lots of beach chairs and palapas.
The pools (one large and one for kids) looked nice and they were very popular but as we are beach people, we stuck to the beach. It is beautiful, pretty clean and very safe for small children. A few days the waves really came in and were lots of fun to play in. There are a lot of vendors on the beach, selling pretty much everything, but if you say no, they move on. The beach is great for long beach walks, playing frisbee etc. with lots of room for everyone.
The Costa Alegre is a very low-key hotel where nothing happens particularly fast but gets done nonetheless. I found the service friendly and mostly efficient. We made our reservation through Lenor Coomber www.jaltembabay.com, who got us a slightly better rate than the hotel rack rate. It was much easier then contacting the hotel directly as the phones didn't work well and not all of the staff spoke english.
We had 2 rooms (large family) one in the main building on the 3rd floor and the other in a smaller building in a Master suite.
The first room was fantastic for the ocean views and waves putting us to sleep at night.
The master suite (2 large bedrooms with 2 double beds in each room) was very convenient for our family, with almost instant access to the beach from the patio door and a large patio with table and chairs, perfect for happy hour cocktails and watching the sunset.
The only draw back is there is only one bathroom and to get to it from the 2nd bedroom you have to walk through the first bedroom. The pillows weren't great but did the job.
The beds are comfortable enough for me and my bad back to sleep for 10 hours without getting sore, but I like a firm bed.
The rooms are pretty basic but are kept very clean by a hardworking cleaning staff. There was lots of hot water.
Both had kitchens which we ended up not using much because we were so happy with the included food.
The rooms had air conditioning but with the breeze off the ocean to keep us cool we didn't ever use it.
FOOD: There is one restaurant on a snack bar. If you are looking for a resort that has a massive buffet with bland recreations of American food you will be greatly disappointed. The buffet isn't huge but in 2 weeks I never tired of eating there and I'm a foodie. All of my family was happy with it as well.
There was usually around 8-10 hot items. The food was mostly authentic Mexican food. And it was fantastic! Amazing fresh fish everyday (either grilled, baked or both) vegetables (raw and cooked in butter!), rice, potatoes, usually pork tenderloin roast and/or baked chicken in different sauces, ribs...
Most food, although very tasty, wasn't too spicy. There were homemade salsa's to really spice things up if you wanted. Food was was somewhat spicier on the weekends when the Mexican tourists arrived.
There was basic but very fresh salads items( tomatoes,cucumbers,carrots,beets,olives etc.) to create your own salad, and an assortment of fruit.

Saturday night is Mexican night complete with (decent)Tequila shots when you enter and excellent food including grilled fish, tamales, chicken with mole, chilli relenos etc.
Their desserts were always excellent and so was the ice cream (really creamy!)
Breakfasts had either pancakes or french toast, beans, scrambled eggs,ham, bacon (which you had to ask for, oddly), yoghurt, granola, cereal as well as a egg/omelet bar and plenty of pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew melon. The coffee could have been stronger some days.
My 2 year old and my two twenty year olds loved the food and we all gained a fair bit of weight!
The restaurant is right on the beach and every morning there are a few fishermen selling fresh fish, shrimp etc. a few meters away. It is very colourful and peaceful.
There is a snack bar (opens around 1100ish for those that can't wait until the main restaurant opens at 1:00 pm) that has made to order hamburgers and hot-dogs, french-fries, pizza, and sandwiches. We only ate there a couple of times as we enjoyed the main restaurant so much.
The drinks were typical of what you would find in any resort.
Tips: unlike most all-inclusives that I've been to, if you don't tip you still get the same service. Tips, however were obviously (by the looks on peoples faces) greatly appreciated and I usually left the cleaning person, bartender (the good ones) and the waiter $2 a day.

Shuttle service: It can be arranged by contacting the Casablanca hotel (sister hotel) but I wouldn't recommend it. The arranged price was $100 (expensive to begin with but as we were arriving late in the evening with our 2 year old, we didn't want to take a chance getting a taxi). When we got to the hotel the driver told us that $120 is the "going rate" and jacked up the fee to $140 because he had to wait an hour and a half for our late charter flight. His name is Carlos. He speaks excellent English and he also shows up on occasion to run various tours from the Costa Alegre. AVOID him. He charges 20% or more for everything.
The guy (Pepe,I think ?) who Carlos works for, operates the tour booth at the entrance to beach at the hotel and is much more honest. In fact we had a problem with a boat tour we booked through him (very long story but essentially not his fault) and he gave us back $80 of the $100 we paid him and we still had over an hour in the boat anyway.

In Short, take a taxi! it will be around $70 and to get back to the airport $50 or $60 depending on the size of vehicle.

To sum up: This was a great, relaxing place for a family vacation. We have travelled extensively, mostly independently as well to luxury 5-star all-inclusive resorts. We consider ourselves to be discriminating travellers who appreciate good food (I am a gourmet cook).
Our family really enjoyed the overall experience here much more than the much fancier resort we stayed in last year on the Mayan Riviera.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank JCDOttawa
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Hotel stay was okay but there was a glitch. My wife and I have different last names and we accidentally each made a revervation (with deposit). Ooops. No problem, we have a friend who spends winters in Guayabitos go to the resort and cancel the extra reservation. Hooray.
We check in, pay for our room in full, and start enjoying our vacation. Next morning, look at our bill and see that the second deposit hasn't been credited to us. Inform front desk, "Oh! Management gone for weekend. Talk to Iris on Monday."
Monday, Iris, "I'm sorry we have a 24 hour cancellation policy, we can't refund your $140US."
"We cancelled the other reservation 8 days ago."
"Oh. We'll refund 50%"
"That's BS, where's my other 70 bucks?"
"I'm sorry, company policy. We can offer complimentary party boat ride."
"No thanks, boat full of seasick drunks with blaring disco music doesn't sound appealling. I want my 70 dollars."
"I'm sorry, company policy."
I hope the owners of Costa Alegre (also owners of Casablanca and Torreblanca) enjoy spending my $70 because it is the last time they will ever see any of my money.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bluemustard
Reviewed June 20, 2007

I was in this hotel Costa Alegre in Guayabitos, the last week just for 3 day, and every thing has been ok, but one day before we leave we decide to go and take a massage outside, when we return to the room i check mi purse where i had an envelope with $3000.00 pesos and was gone, some body from the staff took my money, i made a report with the front desk bun nothing happened, i really don't recommend this Hotel, that was a very sad and bad experience.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple