“Returned to Los Cocos - home from home”

Decameron Los Cocos
Vancouver, Canada
“Returned to Los Cocos - home from home”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We spent another delightful week at Los Cocos in Guayabitos. This is a small resort - older buildings but spotlessly clean - in an authentic rural village over an hour north of Puerto Vallarta. The resort caters to Mexican holidaymakers from the larger cities of Guadalajara, Leon and Aguascalientes - Mexican extended families with lots of children. It's a great place to meet the locals. Bring your kids along with you - there are daily activities for children and the kids will come home speaking Spanish!
Bring your own shampoo, hair dryer.... and I'd recommend you bring a two prong adapter in your luggage for chargers as some rooms have few electrical outlets.... and they are all two-prong. I also carry a small extension cord for when outlets are placed inconveniently.
For a preview of nightly entertainment at the hotel, see youtube.com/user/kaelithekool
If you are planning a holiday at Los Cocos and have specific question, don't hesitiate to contact me.
We LOVE Los Cocos.

Room Tip: Many Canadians request Building Four but the best building on the beach is Building One.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank AlexFamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Calahoo, Alberta
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We just returned from one week at Decameron Los Cocos on Nov.24th, 2012. This was the second trip to this resort for my wife and I, the first for the other four people with us. They all really liked it there. We have all been to Royal Decameron a few times. The food is almost as good as RC. In some cases better.There is only 1 a la carte. But the buffets were always good. One person in our group really enjoyed the breakfasts at the buffet up at Cocos 4. We all ate there every morning. The lady ( Martha) at the grill will make you pancakes, omelets, eggs, bacon to order. Our waiter Guibran is always happy and smiling and eager learn English. He always trys hard even to the point of using an electronic translater. Our waitress Letannia (I may have spelled this wrong) equally eager to please. They work very long hours and deserve a few pesos here and there.(including Martha).

Our first time there we stayed in the regular rooms. They are quite nice. Not to be confused with the economy rooms. I would try to avoid those. This time we stayed in the Superior rooms up in Cocos 4. Maybe 2or 3 minutes walk from the beach, but higher up. The view from our room of the bay was well worth it. There is also a pool their. Much quieter there usually. I ventured in to my knees and had enough. Compared to the ocean, which was the warmest I have ever experienced in at least 10 trips to Mexico was much more inviting.
The weather for that week Nov 17-24 was at least 30 C and for the most part sunny everyday. The people in Guayabitos are very friendly. There is a lot of local people on the beach some days just enjoying life.You can walk along the beach to a point at La Penita. But may not be able to cross the inlet if the water is high. But a nice walk. I found the beach easy to walk because it's more flat than others. Easier on the ankles.
Also if you want to eat out. We went down the beach about 5-10 minutes to Salavtor's Rest. My brother in law and I had the all you can eat garllic shrimp. WOW. It was absolutely amazing. Others had the Mahi Mahi. Equally as delicious. Salvator will go out of his way to make sure you enjoy yourself. We asked him earlier in the week about coffee shop and we couldn't find it He led us from the restaurant about two blocks right to the coffee shop and introduced us to the owner. Which also has very good cappicino and cinnamon buns.
If you want to go to La Penita to shop it only cost about $20 pesos or 2 dollars per person to take the 10 minute taxi ride. If you go take Pesos or Canadian. We took $6000 pesos about $500 Canadian between my wife and I. Had some left over but we've been there many times and don't need any more stuff. If your going to eat out alot and take a few excursions then you'll need more. We probably spent $200 on tips. These hard working people don't make much money and really appreciate the tips. Especially the maids. We gave our maid $50 Pesos per day. 7 nights $35.00 no big deal. Just leave it on the bed when you go for breakfast.

For the price we paid $ 891.00 including taxes each ( plus spending) you can't go wrong. The only other thing I can say is if you haven't been to this area before you may want to go the Royal Decameron. It's closer to Puerto Vallarta and is maybe a bit nicer. So if you want to go to PV for touring and shopping around, night life etc. DLC is a bit far. If you want to kick back and relax and have been to PV and done that maybe try DLC. I've been to RD 4 times and DLC 2 times. They re simililar in price. RC is about 25 minutes from the airport. DLC is about 1 hour. I personally prefer DLC but you can't really go wrong with either one.

Now the negatives.

If you a beer drinker no problem. If you like rum. My brother in law purchased a bottle of rum at the duty free shop at the airport. He just put some in a pop bottle we went to the bars on the resort. The other drinks are really just mixes. The tequila also sucks. The red wine is also not very good. My advice, purchase a few bottles of wine at the duty free shop. This is also the same at RD as well. When you travel on a budget you can't expect everything.
No big deal you can buy your own at a store if you like. At least the food is good.
The other problem , which has nothing to do with the travel agent really, is the airport. Everytime we have to stand in line at the airport in Puerta Vallarta for 1-2 hours while they search your luggage. They could at least organize the way you arrive at the airport so there is only a few people in line at a time instead of a few hundred. This airport has gone through some changes but more are needed.
If you shop make sure you don't go over you 20 kilo weight limit. They really hose you and this IS the airline. (air transat). They also changed our departure time after we booked to a few hours later. Meaning when we got to the resort it was dark. 7 pm or so.
On a positive note the plane was new with a tv screen in the seat in front of you so you could watch movies or tv shows from a nice variety. The food is rather bland. It's not hard to put a little seasoning in...really ! I also refuse to use my credit card to buy a drink on the plane. If they can't except my Canadian currency they won't get my business.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Ken C
comox bc
Reviewed September 10, 2012

stayed 1 week in mid january 2012 then came back for two more weeks end of feburary, service was outstanding, and ala carte was the best ever, stayed in cocos 4 adult section, room was always clean , this was our 12 th trip to los cocos and will keep coming god willing, have booked 1st two weeks of janurary and last two weeks of feburary in 2013, i'm pumped already can't come soon enough.

Room Tip: cocos 4 is a few more dollars but well worth it, adult pool and bar, 2 mins from beach a little quie...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank douglas t
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2012

An excellent resort for the budget minded. My wife, mother outlaw...lol, her sister and myself had stayed at Los Cocos #2 in March of 2000. This resort had 6 seperate locals eg. cocos #1, cocos #2 etc. Be advised, IF cocos # 6 is still there, it is the only one that has pool, Bar and sleep only, no food or entertainment service. If you wish to eat you have a 10-15 min trek to have your meals. Service was above average, the food was average and the people of Guayabitos were giving their all to assist in anyway. If I could find any drawback it would be the narrow slit of a beach in front of said resort, although the beach is quite spacious about 100 meters or so to the right of the resort. The disco is a fun and entertaining place and the grounds are well maitained. I also found the rooms were very clean plus a bonus...the chamber girls are very honest with there duties. On the whole we had a restful and enjoyable stay at Decameron Los Cocos.
Dan
danmcn@rogers.com

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank fijisand
Port Alberni, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I traveled to the DeCameron los Cocos in Jan of this year. I wrote a review for this trip and it can be seen at this site.
How can you improve on perfection?? I returned again on March31- April 14 and had even a better time!!
The atmosphere is easy going and unpretentious. The staff are the best I have ever come across even in 5 stars. Always friendly and professional. The activity staff are fun and upbeat and the nightly entertainment is excellent!!
The food is plentiful and very well prepared. I'm vegan and didn't even get tired of the food in the buffet and of course La Bamba is the a la carte restaurant where reservations are required and well worth getting up a bit early to reserve your table as it is very popular and on a first come first serve basis.
The whole resort is spotless!! Linen is changed on the bed every day and always plenty of fresh towels.
The easy relaxed atmosphere makes you feel at home even if traveling alone. I met some awesome people including Alister, Bruce, Helen,Jennifer, Lynn and Jerry to name a few.
The beach is beautiful! Three miles of sand that is flecked with gold and the water safe for anyone who wishes to swim.
If you want to wander down the beach a short way and want to try a local restaurant may I suggest Salvadors.Charming host and excellent food! The night a group of us had dinner there they had live music.A table set with white linen on the beach as the sun sets and your toes in the warm sand, soft music and the sound of the surf, with excellent service and good company. It doesn't get any better than that!
I'll be back there just as soon as i can! My advice to you is GO!! you'll love it!!!!

Room Tip: Cocos 2 is my favorite because it's close to the beach and I love the sound of the surf at night...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank Shirley M
Cumberland, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We went to the Decamercon Los Cocos a few years ago .. . 2008 I think. I know it was during Holy Week. We loved it there!. The hotel room was basic, but comfortable.It's unfortunate that there were 2 double beds instead of 1 king or queen, but it still worked out fine. After a day on the beach people watching we were certainly ready to sleep! I have never seen so many people having so much fun. Generations of families (3 sometimes 4 generations) all enjoying each other, enjoying the sun, the ocean and playing in the sand. Mexican's can teach us something about what being a family means! The food and the drinks were basic, not fantastic but not horrible. We went on a last minute, all inclusive and it was definately worth the money we spent. I would go back for sure. It was one of the most memorable vacations we have had in Mexico and it wasn't 5 star! Stay home if that's what you are looking for!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank luvmexico506
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Stayed in the most comfortable Cocos 4 building. Allegedly 3-star but with 5-star experience. Staff all friendly, helpful and a pleasure to talk to. The other buildings closer to the beach were full of friendly guests-and, it must be said, really happy Mexican family holiday-makers. It was always so pleasant to see how they enjoyed each others company, and the children were a delight. Better to be here than in PV further south with its more North American, sometimes frantic, night-life.One week stay only - silly me!

Room Tip: Early sleepers should choose Cocos 4. Best to be on higher level west from the restaurant kitchen.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple