“Decameron Los Cocos trip”

Decameron Los Cocos
Reviewed January 16, 2008

My wife and I were at the resort from Jan 4 - 11. The last few reviews have been right on with their info but thought I would add a couple of things to maybe help out.
Arrival - I don't know why but PV airport puts all their Time Share/ Tour hucksters right after clearing customs. It all looks very official and if it is your first time there you'll hear people asking you if you want a taxi, etc. If you are on a tour ignore them and walk by, ytour tour rep will be past these people and will be holding a tour sign. Go see them and they'll direct you to your bus. At the end of the Term change your money into pesos - best rate.
Hotel - 3 star but knowing that before you get there and having fun with it will make your vacation enjoyable. We were in Cocos 1 which has a great location but we had three beds?? so moved to Cocos 3 which are appts without a fridge or stove or anything but two separate rooms; bedroom, bath and sitting area. Yes it is noisy, your in Mexico. There are birds and traffic and all kinds of sounds. I would suggest a good set of ear plugs. I travel a lot and always carry them. For 130.00 Cdn a hearing store will make you a set to custom fit which is much more comfortable
Departures - PV has recently expanded their airport, very sterile and quite noisy from the overhead ventilation system. DO bring a light jacket or something warmer if you get cold easily. Sitting there for a couple of hours freezing is no fun.
Missc. - You may have heard about Tequilla Willies. He is a character. Take him for what he is, an expat with a popular bar that likes women. Sounds like probably most of us could fit that description. Happy Hour beers are cheap and if you want a steak he has a weekly bbq where you cook your own HUGE Alberta steak with all the fixings for 10.00 US. Would cost 25.00 or more here is Cda. Lots of vendors, be polite and they'll just move on. Some speak very good English and you'll get to know about them and their families if you do talk to them. Try the beach food, an older fellow sells shrimp and fish on a stick right in front of the hotel. I love shrimp but pass on it, way too hard to get out of the shell but the pieces of fish, a couple of tortillas, a hot bbq pepper, hot sauce and a piece of lime for 25.00 pesos can't be beat. When he cleans the fish though watch out for the birds flying around - you may want to cover your head. Great burgers at night at a small cart just to the right of Cocos 4 reception when facing the entrance. Open very late, lots of locals and the best burgers I have had in a while. Watch the hot sauce. 30.00 pesos. A number of people mentioned the continual cleaning - sometimes the tiles are wet and VERY SLIPPERY. I would suggest trying your shoes or sandles on a wet tile at home if you can. If you slip then you'll slip on the tile floors there so you had better be ready to hold on.

All in all a great vacation and met some great people.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
24  Thank smwinnipeg
Write a ReviewReviews (1,052)

Reviewed January 14, 2008

We just returned from a week - Jan 5 - 12 and had a great time. Most past reviews have covered the basics. Generally a very positive experience, especially as we were ready for less than a 4 star hotel. The staff are definitely 5 star! Exceptional service all around. Very clean, like someone else had mentioned, you almost feel guilty sometimes coming back from the beach because you are always stepping on a freshly mopped floor! The food was very good for an all inclusive, a little repetitive as most tend to be but some things were delicious. Our only complaint was no bacon at breakfast (except some little pieces occasionally chopped into omelets.) I know, we didn't need it anyway! The pastries and breads were pneonmenal. Drinks were tasty, not very strong, again just as well. Got a little tired of the Sol beer, tried the Indio and quite enjoyed it or just walked across the street and picked up some bottles at 10 pesos each. We stayed in Cocos 4. Huge rooms with somewhat wasted space. They moved in some sofas with hide-a-beds a few days after we got there which did fill up some space but are not yet too useful as there is no lighting or tables nearby. Maybe that is on the way. I am a fairly light sleeper and did notice a lot of street noise from behind Cocos 4 but found that if we kept the bathroom door shut this was greatly reduced. They were doing a number of improvements in railings and stairways while we were there, none of which was in anyway loud or annoying to us.

We never did use the pools and in fact I only ever saw one person in the adult pool one time the entire week we were there as it was almost completely shaded the entire day. Perhaps a little later in the season when the sun is higher it would be more iinviting.

The beach was very busy, many vendors and families, Mexican and Canadian, but in a good way. Always something going on. Fun to stroll and see the sights. Lots of great little restaurants up the beach. The beach club is great. Free and beautiful. Do it a few times if you can. Take a wander way up the beach to Mateja's restaurant. Cheap drinks, delicious food, live music and lots of fun. We tried the restaurant on the hill. Fantastic mohitos and margueritas but quite pricey. You can get the same fantastic view by hiking up the stairs to the cross on the hill behind the resort. Do be aware that this is a religious shrine and be respectful. Throw a few coins into the donation box at the bottom as they are working hard to maintain it. Very beautiful.

The town is fantastic. Do a stroll on a Friday evening and watch it totally transform! Felt very safe walking anywhere and everywhere. Very friendly locals. Do the market day in La Penita. You have to see it to believe it. We bussed to Sayulita (with minor difficulties!) as we had been there before. Great little surf town.

All in all a great stay. We probably wouldn't stay at the resort again, mainly because we prefer to try different places and are maybe a little more spoiled that we thought we were with regards to amenities at the resort, but loved the area and the people.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
15  Thank nanaimoite
Reviewed January 13, 2008

We are a family with two teenagers. We stayed last year at Royal Decameron with another family and had a good time. This year we got a great last-minute deal for Decameron Los Cocos and went for it based on the mostly positive TripAdvisor reviews and our good experience at Royal Decameron. Reading the reviews really helped us know what to expect. The only thing we didn't anticipate was how easy it was at this smaller hotel to meet and hang out some wonderful fellow Canadians during our stay. Thanks to everyone and you know who you are, for really making our trip fun and memorable.

We booked our trip through Red Tag Vacations and Nolitours. Very good service from both. Yes, our plane was cramped and the food was not good but hey the price was right. We arrived and left late so avoided time share people. All you have to do is walk past them anyway and look for the Nolitour rep. No problems with transfers or airport.

We saved $200 by not choosing to upgrade to Cocos 4. We asked for two quieter roomsand were given ones side-by-side (1214 and 1215)by the elevator on the second floor, above the entry in Cocos 1. We thought it would be noisy there but it was relatively quiet compared to other rooms, especially when we turned on the air conditioner/heater. We appreciated the hotel honoring our request. It was nice to be away from the bar/restaurant noise. People that stayed in Cocos 4 reported street noise and lots of car alarms.

At first when we arrived we found our rooms disappointing. They had tiny, unusable balconies and front windows opened on to breezeway/elevator area so we kept drapes closed for privacy. We got used to it though and the darkness was good for sleeping which was all we really needed it for anyway. We asked for and received foam toppers for the hard beds. The rooms were kept very clean and we always had hot water. People on the fourth floor said they had problems with theirs.

We tipped the maid $2 a day and asked and were left two bottles of water a day. There were a lot of staff and they were as friendly and helpful as the language barrier allowed. Some spoke English and would give advice on activities, where to buy things etc. if asked.

Some great memories were a delicious family dinner at Pina Colada Restaurant, a dinner with 14 people at Salvador's Restaurant (two seafood platters with beer included, two individual meals, and two bottles of good wine cost $200) We were stuffed. Twice was enough to go out. The food was fine at the hotel. The only a la carte we did was La Bamba but we had the 8:30 sitting on Thai night. It was too quiet and we preferred the selection at Tropical buffet.

We always tried to get a sunny spot for breakfast at Tropical as its open, mostly shady and cool this time of year. The waiters are very attentive. I always had fresh fruit, yoghurt and granola. The coffee was really good too. My family liked the omelettes.

At lunch you could build your own salad and the homemade dressing was delicious. There were often sea bass, rice and vegetables at lunch and dinner as well as changing other selections. Some we liked, some we didn't. That's life. There was enough choice that finding enough food we liked was not a problem. We tried ceviche and even ostrich on New Years. New Year's Eve was really fun. Both the Royal Decameron last year and Decameron Los Cocos this year really tried to make it special. There was a band and later the disco was much more fun that night too. Great for the teenagers. We also enjoyed the rib night - the tortilla soup was as good as mine!

We had sunny weather (the week before was terrible). It was cooler at the beginning then warmed up a lot. Make sure you take sweaters at this time of year for the evening.

Walking along the main street in the evening was as busy and interesting as the beach during the day. Lots of stores open, people watching, taco stands etc.

We went to some of the evening shows. Some were better than others but the activity staff did a great job. Some wonderful dancing and funny moments. My son had a blast volunteering on stage on audience participation nights.

Yes, the beach was crowded because of all the Mexican (and Canadian) visitors but it was really interesting and had a fun, holiday feel. Lots of families having fun and venders selling skewers of prawns and whole grilled fish and souvenirs. I did not find them pushy if you said "no, gracias". My son enjoyed playing with the very young son of a woman doing his friends' braids and we chatting with one young vendor trying to improve his English.

We went to Beach Club at the village of Lo de Marcos twice. We met a lot of people there and it was a nice change to get away from the crowds. The bar served better drinks and the lunch was good too. We had a great time playing volleyball and the kids loved boogie boarding. Definitely try it early in your stay: you will probably want to go back. My husband bought a bottle of tequila in the village that cost $27. It is worth about $130 here!

My husband and son went jet skiing for $40 for a half hour and out on the hobie cat (included). We enjoyed a long bike ride into La Penita and later enjoyed the stores and market. We went horseback riding (right after Michelle) over the hill and into Los Ayalos which was mellow and scenic.

We would definitely return if we got another good deal. After talking with others, I would go to the restaurant on the hill, check out Sayulita and do the San Blas tour next time.

Vancouver Island

20  Thank puttVancouverIsland
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Stay from Dec.29, 2007 - Jan.5, 2008

I can not believe the amount of cleaning staff this hotel has. They would mop the tile walk ways about every 5 minutes from 6:00 am - 11:00 pm. They even moped the cement parking lot.
The boss must have a bug phobia or something. The weird thing was that the people cooking food or scooping ice cream; wore masks.

I can’t believe people complain that they speak Spanish. ?? For one, most also speak English, two this is MEXICO. Speaking of which, learn at least PLEASE and THANK YOU in Spanish.

The staff was remarkable! Talk about going out of their way to help you, I asked for a banana so I could feed a horse. The waiter said, yes, there’s one at the next restaurant, and before I could say ‘Great I’ll go get one’, he’s like ‘wait one minute please, runs out and gets it for me’. This type of thing happened ALL THE TIME!

Stay in coco’s 4 unless you are fat and lazy as you probably know ‘there are stairs’. Whoooo, big flipping deal. Good way to work off that buffet effect.
We have one 7 year old with us, who couldn’t use the ‘adult pool’ in coco’s 4 and she didn’t mind going to one of the other pools (and walking up the stairs).

Food was great and healthy, and there was always vegetables available.
They had an Icecream Sunday stand every afternoon, which we frequented.

I like to give tips to the people who didn’t normally get them, like the poor old dude mopping the tiles New Years Eve at 9:00 pm. They all really appreciated it.

The 9:00 pm hour show was HILARIOUS. They get a few Canadians on stage to laugh at. I got up there twice. So much fun.

At the hotel the waves were nice and gentle and the depth was gradual.

Tours:
Snorkeling is not that great here. Maybe because the water is a little chilly. I asked someone with a boat to take us to the Island but the fish were small and kind of boring.
Horseback Riding. We walked just down the road and saw the sign to rent horses. My 7 yr old LOVED it, she got her own horse. We went up a mountain and through Ayala.
Beach club – cool. My husband and I swam out past the waves but I’d never let my child go past her knees, the waves were big and powerful here.
Massage – lame. Got one on beach. Sucked bad.

Sleep:
Ask to be far away from the disco in coco’s 4, turn your air-conditioning on fan and crank it at night. You won’t hear a thing.

Get your hair did on the beach with braids.

There’s no shampoo/conditioner provided so bring your own.

If you like to exercise, there’s a nice hill to climb with trails at the top. That’s also where they ride the horses. You can ask someone when you get there, it’s about 5 minutes away; walking. (met a mt. biker up there).

As you probably know the pools are closed at 6:00 pm but if you ‘happen to fall in and swim around’ no says anything.
They provide tennis rackets, ping pongs, volleyball, dancing, kayaks, boogie boards, basket ball, etc.

Bad:
There was a lot of people smoking on the beach where the umbrellas are provided. So we just bought an umbrella from a beach vendor and plopped it in a little ways away and were smog free.

Sit down and chat with the beach vendors, they are awesome people with interesting stories.

Hated la Pinita city. Busy hot little city.

We had a GREAT vacation, so glad we went here!

If you have any questions, please email me. [--]

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
24  Thank Michele36
Reviewed December 31, 2007

My finance and I stayed Dec 18-30, 2007 It was his first ever trip to Mexico my 3rd. I always try to book smaller, more personal hotels. The Los Cocos gave us everything and more than we expected considering we were there over Christmas which is a very busy time. The room was cleaned to very good standards every day and there were always some personal touch from the maid. I don't think the tip we left her everyday had any bearing on the cleanliness. We stayed in Cocos 1 on the 2nd floor. Our Balcony overlooked the back garden and the staff entrance to the kitchen, not ideal if you are a light sleeper or like to sleep the morning away. Neither was an issue for us. For the amount of time you spend in the room it was more than just adequate it was great. For the size of the hotel the staff are exceptional at making you feel at home. they remember names, drinks, what you like to drink for dinner. We did not use the ala carte just the buffet and were never disappointed. There was always something different to try. The one thing I was not totally impressed with was the hotels insistance that you book tour through them and not the guys on the beach. Rip Off .. if you do go to this resort.. please please please look for Rudy on the beach (pic posted) he is the most honest, and trust worthy person we met. We booked our Jungle tour through him as well as Jamurca which are natural hotsprings in the mountains. He provides far superior service and actually knows the area and the people and you get the BEST on your tour. I highly recommend his Jungle tour even if it does leave the hotel at 6 am lol.. you are FIRST on the mangroves which means no one has disturbed the birds, iguanas or GATORS. He knows the BEST banana bread maker and it is included, as well as lunch at the BEST restaurant and well, just the BEST day ever. I can not say how much we enjoyed our time with him. He took us to his home and to the beach in the town he lives in. Rudy can book you with the most reliable guys on the beach for whale watching, fishing, rides out to Isla Corales or any other kind of tour you would like. I could go on forever about this place.. yes it is a 3 star.. if you are going to critique the rooms etc.. don't go.. spend double the money and go to a 5 star.. If what you want is great relaxation, sunshine and great SERVICE then you have the best here in the dec. los cocos.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Angells
Reviewed December 30, 2007

We stayed at this resort December 8-22,2007 This was the second visit for myself and my mom,first for my husband. We had a large room in Cocos 4 again. A friendly note left for housekeeping always resulted in 3 bottles of water each day. I personally find the firm beds quite comfy. All the staff we came in contact with were very polite and accommodating. It was great to see so many familiar faces too.

Yes,the adult pool at Cocos 4 is cold,but so refreshing to cool off (jump right in,the only way to do it!) while suntanning. The meals always had a large and varied selection and nobody left the table hungry. I miss Sandra making our omelettes at La Bamba in the morning! The entertainment each evening was excellent. I noticed a larger variety of costumes and added dance numbers since my last visit in March 2005. Such energy and talent. They definitely earn every penny. As do all the staff.

The beach club is a lovely spot,despite the vendors during the first hour or so. I can still hear one fellow saying "Massage! You want a massage?" Such fun! Market Day in La Penita was a great experience at this time of year;super busy. We took the Puerto Vallarta day trip arranged through the tour rep at the hotel. I even sampled all 4 flavors of tequila at the little factory enroute. Think my favorite had to be the coffee/chocolate blend. I I don't even drink coffee! Go figure.

Despite a supposed 12 noon checkout on our last day,we Did have the use of our room til the shuttle to the airport left at 9:15pm as part of our package. This was wonderful,being able to shower and change into our winter clothes just before departure,rather than earlier in the hot afternoon.

We had a wonderful holiday and would go back in a heartbeat. Remember,your holiday is what you make it,so go and enjoy!

9  Thank rici
Reviewed December 24, 2007

dirty; small; unsafe;geiko's in room; not much English spoken; loud A/C if they worked; cheap - but if its money you need to save, then wait an extra year and spend more to stay elsewhere. This is rated as a 3 star, I would say 2 star!

• Stayed: February 2003, traveled as a couple