My wife and I were at the resort from Jan 4 - 11. The last few reviews have been right on with their info but thought I would add a couple of things to maybe help out.
Arrival - I don't know why but PV airport puts all their Time Share/ Tour hucksters right after clearing customs. It all looks very official and if it is your first time there you'll hear people asking you if you want a taxi, etc. If you are on a tour ignore them and walk by, ytour tour rep will be past these people and will be holding a tour sign. Go see them and they'll direct you to your bus. At the end of the Term change your money into pesos - best rate.
Hotel - 3 star but knowing that before you get there and having fun with it will make your vacation enjoyable. We were in Cocos 1 which has a great location but we had three beds?? so moved to Cocos 3 which are appts without a fridge or stove or anything but two separate rooms; bedroom, bath and sitting area. Yes it is noisy, your in Mexico. There are birds and traffic and all kinds of sounds. I would suggest a good set of ear plugs. I travel a lot and always carry them. For 130.00 Cdn a hearing store will make you a set to custom fit which is much more comfortable
Departures - PV has recently expanded their airport, very sterile and quite noisy from the overhead ventilation system. DO bring a light jacket or something warmer if you get cold easily. Sitting there for a couple of hours freezing is no fun.
Missc. - You may have heard about Tequilla Willies. He is a character. Take him for what he is, an expat with a popular bar that likes women. Sounds like probably most of us could fit that description. Happy Hour beers are cheap and if you want a steak he has a weekly bbq where you cook your own HUGE Alberta steak with all the fixings for 10.00 US. Would cost 25.00 or more here is Cda. Lots of vendors, be polite and they'll just move on. Some speak very good English and you'll get to know about them and their families if you do talk to them. Try the beach food, an older fellow sells shrimp and fish on a stick right in front of the hotel. I love shrimp but pass on it, way too hard to get out of the shell but the pieces of fish, a couple of tortillas, a hot bbq pepper, hot sauce and a piece of lime for 25.00 pesos can't be beat. When he cleans the fish though watch out for the birds flying around - you may want to cover your head. Great burgers at night at a small cart just to the right of Cocos 4 reception when facing the entrance. Open very late, lots of locals and the best burgers I have had in a while. Watch the hot sauce. 30.00 pesos. A number of people mentioned the continual cleaning - sometimes the tiles are wet and VERY SLIPPERY. I would suggest trying your shoes or sandles on a wet tile at home if you can. If you slip then you'll slip on the tile floors there so you had better be ready to hold on.
All in all a great vacation and met some great people.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the picturesque Bay of Rincon de Guayabitos in the state of Nayarit, just 55 minutes from Puerto Vallarta International Airport amidst a typical fishing village, Hotel Decameron Los Cocos is the ideal place to experience the most spectacular family holiday. Its white beaches and crystal clear water contrast with the bright colors of the hotel's architecture. We have 4 pools throughout our installations, 3 of which are suitable for children, and over 100 meters of beaches. Experience the international and typical dishes you can find at the La Bamba, La Canoa and El Tropical Restaurants, or enjoy the most delicious drinks at the disco or at the bars on the beach, like La Iguana and Pelicanos. During the day you can enjoy different recreational activities like non-motorized water sports, kayaking, sailboats and a catamaran, a massage parlor, and tennis, basketball and beach volleyball courts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Otel, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Decameron Los Cocos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Decameron Los Cocos Hotel
- Hotel Decameron Los Cocos
- Decameron Los Cocos Rincon De Guayabitos
- Rincon De Guayabitos