“Hidden Gem”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Inn at San Pancho, Home of the GataGorda
Encinitas, California
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

If anyone is traveling to this awesome little town I would highly recommend staying with Eileen. Located on a hill above town with views of the ocean and lovely rooms to rent it can't be beat. A very short walk to town and the beach, but located in a quiet San Pancho neighborhood makes you feel like a local.We stayed in the Room Nopal, but all the rooms I saw were beautiful and fairly priced. Also on site is a gorgeous swimming pool with commanding views of the lush green mountains. Anybody who is burned out with busy Puerto Vallarta will enjoy this town, quiet and laid back, but with lots of good restaurants to choose from and great surf.

Room Tip: Agave for the view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paula B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

On a return visit to Mexico, I stayed at The Inn at San Pancho,Home of the Gata Gorda.....this lovely place only gets more & more charming.
Once again I stayed in Agave...my home away from home casita and was so comfortable.
Relaxing, renewing & the weather was great...(wish I were there now as I'm looking at 5* this A.M.)
Again we took a day trip to The Marietta's via The Chica Loca, so much fun & the crew is so accommodating .
I love San Pancho so much , I just had to find my souvenir of St. Francis. A short walk into town and I found a beautiful wood carved statue which accompanied me home !
So in love with this beautiful Inn with it's wonderful owner Eileen and the authentic little town. I can't wait to return and get back to it's beautiful beaches!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lorraineelizabeth
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed in Casita Nopal, the lower room at the Inn at San Pancho. The room is very spacious, sparkling clean, and very comfortable. The pool is beautiful (if a bit chilly after a week of overcast skies) and the views from the deck are some of the best in San Pancho. It's a short walk to the "center" of town (less than 5 minutes). Eileen (the owner) is gracious and kind and full of great info about town. I'm not sure what the other reviewers who complained about roosters and dogs were expecting, but there's not a place in town where you will get away from that (or Mariachi music or rattling trucks). It's just part of the small town Mexico experience. The Inn (being up on a hill and on a dead end) is probably one of the quieter places in town. The price we paid (high season - $195 over New Years) felt a little high compared to some other places we saw, but it's probably not too out of line given how nice the place is. The WiFi in town is notoriously bad and although we could connect to the router from the pool deck (although not from our room), we were never able to actually get online. Shower was warm with great water pressure and clean (more importantly dry) towels were provided whenever needed. Overall it was a great place with a wonderful owner.

Room Tip: Casita Nopal is the lowest room in the Inn and while there is more than enough light from the many l...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I wanted a quick escape from the Canadian winter and chose to visit the quiet community of San Pancho. We fortunately booked our stay at the beautiful "Inn at San Pancho". We were thrilled with our lovely casita, the beautifully maintained gardens and the crystal clear swimming pool. Eileen was such a gracious host, recommending activities to keep us as busy as we wanted to be. We enjoyed our casita so much that we were loathe to leave our little piece of paradise, although walking to town was a real treat. We enjoyed the quaint charm of San Pancho, the varied restaurants and cafes and the long stretch of pristine beach. We were especially impressed with the volunteer community center of Entre Amigos. What an amazing facility!
While in SP, we took a bird watching tour with Luis and learned much about the shore birds and the other local species. We also enjoyed watching the variety of birds visiting the gardens of the Inn from our own veranda. Freshly squeezed orange juice from Martin, at the foot of the hill was a great way to start the day and sunset at the beach was a beautiful way to end the day.
We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MeanderingMojo4
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed December 8, 2013

It was amazing to come back to the simplicity and beauty of the Inn. I could breathe again. The lush garden with all the flowers and the hummingbirds, the pool, the comfortable villas. You cannot help but getting completely relaxed. And yet there is enough of restaurants, cafe's and stores to keep me entertained. Plus Eileen always have perfect ideas for outings. A boat trip to the Marieta Islands, markets, beaches and other points of interest. I will be back thats for sure.

1 Thank YFlicka
Ridgewood, NJ
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Recently returned from my third stay at the Inn. Delightfully decorated, exquisitely landscaped and overseen beautifully by Eileen, who met our every need and request. Truly an oasis. Absolutely stunning views, comfortable accommodations, refreshing pool and a simple walk to downtown San Pancho and its wonderful shops and restaurants. A jewel!

1 Thank Martha M
Glen Rock, New Jersey
Reviewed November 18, 2013

3rd annual girls trip to the Inn. Love the spacious Inn with great views, short walk to quaint village and beach with so many great restaurants.. Salt water pool ~ towels for beach ~ love the large cozy verandas where the chicas and I would meet and have our coffee in the morning. Miss it already ~ going back next year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Francisco
#2 of 14 in San Francisco
Pancho Playa
Pancho Playa
#3 of 6 in San Francisco

Been to Inn at San Pancho, Home of the GataGorda? Share your experiences!