“Great Girls Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn at San Pancho, Home of the GataGorda

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Inn at San Pancho, Home of the GataGorda
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great Girls Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and our two children and I have stayed at The Inn at San Pancho four times. It draws us back every 12 months or so when the stress starts building and escaping is the only option left if we want to maintain our sanity. This year, my husband was too busy to take the time off, and I went with three girlfriends instead. Of course it was an entirely different experience -- apples and oranges -- but what a blast. Instead of going to the water park in Vallarta and trying to teach the kids how to dive, we slept late, walked the beach, went out for all our meals for a change rather than preparing them in the casitas' ample kitchens.

We decided to splurge and each of us took our own casita, sprawling out on king sized beds and reading and napping through the hot afternoons on our verandas. We met for meals and around the pool and went to the beach for sunset. We had time for ourselves and each other. One late afternoon we rode horses on the beach, and another day we took a cab to Sayulita for dinner at Calypso's and were glad to come back to San Pancho where we forgot we were tourists and settled down. What a break! Enough memories for another year in "reality."

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank StephiNOLA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lee,MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

My boyfriend and I just spent one of the most relaxing weeks of our lives at the Inn at San Pancho. Every morning we got up and had coffee on the veranda; walked into town for breakfast (greeting people on the way); continued onto the beach for a couple of hours; returned to our casita for a snack and a nap; lay by the pool; showered and went back into two for dinner. It was beautiful, restful, romantic AND between the two of us we read 10 books!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank james o
Richmond, massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

This property is beautiful. It sits on top of a hill so your view from any of the four casitas are palms meeting ocean with a peek of the town in between. Villa V was great for our family with a little kid. We had plenty of room for all. The decor made us all feel invited and comfortable, especially the grand king size bed made of beautiful deep colored wood. We cooked in, we ate out. We recommend Diva Tours and stopping at the Super Market, if you are not renting a car. The pool draws you to it, every day and at any part of the day. Convinience is everwhere poolside, the kitchen, the veranda, the cable tv, the internet, the library, the gardens, the town, the beach...We also suggest a day trip north to Ricon de Gauyabitos, a tourist beach town that was one great time. Overall, Gatagorda is a fun filled vacation with the comforts of home and not another grand mexican hotel. My 4 year old son said we went to another world and we had to come back real soon.

Room Tip: Oceanview from all casitas
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Roseville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

I was lucky enough to spend some time at the Inn at San Pancho this year. After reading some of the reviews I was suprised to find anyone that wouldnt enjoy this location. The charm and serenity of my casita were phenomenal. I found the inn to be the perfect Mexican getaway. I liked the local activity that went on daily, such as the local high school band, a few neighborhood roosters and the ongoing salesmen in the trucks. I spent much time at the pool and enjoyed every beautiful sunset at the beach. One of my favorite things was how friendly everyone was. The staff was helpful yet not intrusive. When walking in town all the locals were super friendly and greeted me with a "Buenos Dias!" I have stayed in many places in Puerto Vallarta, but by far my favorite has been here, especially for a truly Mexican experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
San Rafael, CA.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2011

I just got the time to come back to TA to write my review for my incredible stay in San Pancho and read the previous review with astonishment. I've been to San Pancho before and this was my favorite stay because I decided to stay closer to town and avoid the car rental thing. It was perfect. I stayed in Papa Gallo also, and was enchanted by the palapa roof, the round room, the comfy bed and the view -- what a view!

The Inn at San Pancho (also known as the Inn at Gata Gorda) is just a few blocks from the beach and an easy walk to the great restaurants, Cafe Del Mar, Marias, La Playa, La Ola Rica, and my new favorite - Baja Taqueria. Each day was sunny but I have to admit it was unseasonably cold in the morning and late at night. I asked for more blankets and they were promptly provided. The pool gets full sun, so during the sunniest part of the day, it was quite comfortable.

I plan to go back -- it was such a great vacation and the property is really beautiful. And, it is the best deal in town. As I said, we've stayed in SP before and never found a place less than 200/night and we needed a car since my husband doesn't walk very well. This property totally fit our needs.

I did hear some roosters off in the distance, but there were certainly none on the property or on any of the adjacent properties. They just added to the charm

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

We were in Mexico and stayed at GataGorda for 5 days booked for one week in Papagayo but left early due to accommodations.. Our cassita was a thatch roof hut that had a bed and barely anything else. We paid $125 a nite and it was worth $50 if that. Broken coffee pot - freezing cold morning and nite as sun does not filter into the room. Bed was damp no where to put clothes in dressers, such a disappointment. Dogs barked all nite and the chickens crowed. This place is suited to backpackers - I felt like we were backpacking. We are seniors and travel to Mexico every year - this was the very worst. Dont stay there especially for that kind of money - I think it must have been a caretakers unit. Total ripoff.
Pat & Larry, Vancouver Canada

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank gurvich
toryeileen, Owner at Inn at San Pancho, Home of the GataGorda, responded to this review, April 9, 2011
We were very sorry to read Pat and Larry had a bad stay at the Inn at San Pancho. We agree that Papagayo is not for everyone. Per our website, Papagayo is very much of an indoor/outdoor living space carefully designed to be as shipshape as a cabin cruiser with a palapa roof offering those who want a classic Mexican experience. Our remaining casitas are much larger with kitchenettes, and Villa V! our largest casita, has a full kitchen. All three are apartment size and are fully stocked to make guests’ stays as comfortable as possible.

We apologize for the broken coffeemaker, and though we replaced it with a new one, we are sorry for the inconvenience. Cold spells in Mexico are no fun, and even though plenty of blankets are provided, it can be disappointing to need to use them on a vacation in the tropics. Lastly, roosters and dogs are ubiquitous in Mexico and we realize that what makes Papagayo unique can also be a drawback occasionally.
Bainbridge Island, Wa.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

My travels to Mexico have been to PV and Cabo and I wanted to return hoping to experience a more authentic Mexican community...small, less touristy yet active and charming. That's when I heard about San Pancho (San Francisco). I found exactlty what I wanted in this tiny beachfront town. And it was above and beyond my expectations when I checked into the Inn at San Pancho. My roomy apartment was beautifully furnished with local artwork, Mexican tiles, colorful furniture, and a kitchen filled with hand selected Mexican pottery with charming shapes, colors and designs on each piece...even the glasses were one of a kind and looked handblown. I'm an interior designer and attention to these details is what made the Inn so memorable for me. The apartment was authentic, charming and as comfortable as "home". It's located just blocks from the main street leading to the beach, shops and restaurants...an easy walk. Being off the main street and on the hill made my stay especially peaceful and quiet. That was an unexpected bonus. The pool was actually big enough to swim in and the well tended grounds were lush with grass, palms and flowers throughout. When I return, I will make sure I stay here. It's a true jewel! I found my authentic community!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
#2 of 14 in San Francisco
Hotelito Mar Azul
Hotelito Mar Azul
#9 of 14 in San Francisco

Been to Inn at San Pancho, Home of the GataGorda? Share your experiences!