TripAdvisor
San Francisco
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews visiting friends la lancha san pancho luis teaching beginners spots
Selected filters
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Staying at San Pancho surf house was one of the best vacation decisions I've made in a while. Before this trip I have taken 3 surf trips before and all of them were mediocre in comparison to this trip for reasons I will enumerate below.

First, Bianca and Luis are amazing hosts. They welcomed us with beers, banana bread, cheerful and welcoming attitudes. I felt immediately as though I was in the presence of really old friends. Their hospitality extends to making sure that not only is your stay comfortable but that you are entertained during the evenings after the surf sessions. Luis has access to all the TV shows or movies you'd want to see and they also have some great instructional surf videos they can put on. Alternatively you have the option of taking a short 7 minute walk into town for tacos, cervezas etc. Both Luis and Bianca speak perfect English and, honestly, their knowledge of American culture blew my mind. Bianca and Luis have also worked in Europe before and can speak multiple languages. Essentially, they're just very worldly people and it's really easy to hang out and talk with them.

Second, Bianca is an amazing cook. I personally cook quite a bit at home and am fairly hard to impress, but Bianca impressed me with not only how delicious her meals were but also the range of different cuisines she could cook - we were treated to Italian, Thai, Mexican, American etc. all on this trip. I even wrote down some of her recipes so I could try them at home.

Third, both Luis and Bianca really helped me immensely with my surfing. I'm a beginner surfer, but with the tips and suggestions Bianca and Luis gave me, by the end of the week, I was surfing much better and my confidence really improved.

Finally, Bianca and Luis went out of their way to make sure that my friends and I were having a good time and that we were getting out to the best surf spots near Sayulita. Between my friend and I we surfed at 4 different spots while we were there. I had a blast! My wave count was over at least 100 in 7 days.

I had a blast staying with these guys and I will definitely return soon.

Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
kusalvr, Owner at Surf House San Pancho, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you, you are too kind.It was an absolute pleasure to share our home and the joy of surfing with you.You always have a home here , anytime you are up for another wave marathon... Big big hugs, both Luis and I are very thankful for your visit.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I had a great three-night stay with Bianca and Luis, in their beautiful home, where we were treated like friends throughout. We were both complete beginners to surfing, and I wasn't that confident in the sea, but they were very patient and gave us some excellent advice, so we both had fun in the water. Bianca's meals were so good too- I still miss her banana bread! Thanks so much for such a lovely stay; kisses to Mancha and Duka too!

Room tip: We stayed in the sunset room, which was stunning.
Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leah-Kitten
kusalvr, Owner at Surf House San Pancho, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write.It was such a pleasure sharing our home and the fun of surfing with you.We both wish you the best, and the most amazing travel adventures.Big big hugs from sunny San Pancho

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I booked this trip to San Pancho for some much needed R & R. From the moment I arrived to the moment I departed I was blown away by Luis and Bianca's hospitality. Smiles, beers, laughs, and a pick up from the airport by Luis was fantastic. Once we arrived to the Surf house we were greeted by Luis' wife Bianca with fresh hot homemade coconut bread!!! and more beers!!! Being welcomed like that felt so good. The Surf House is located in the hills just above the tiny town of San Pancho and within walking distance to the beach, local restaurants, hot fresh tacos and more! The next morning we had an excellent home cooked breakfast by Bianca. Fresh omelets, fresh fruit, OJ, toast, and more homemade coconut bread! As a first time surfer I was a bit nervous, but Luis gave me so much confidence that I was up on my first wave in moments. Day after day, he gave me and others surfing insight and pointers to help us the next day. I got a little better, and more confident with Luis' help and patience. Luis is an excellent teacher. After returning to the Surf house for a post-surfing siesta , Bianca served us all a wonderful home cooked dinner. Each bite was so fresh!!!!mmmmmmm. Luis and Bianca left me loving my Surfin' Safari experience! They truly have a great thing going on at the Surf House San Pancho and I advise you to stay with them.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank gravysdrop
Reviewed August 2, 2013

When my friend and I booked accommodations at Surf House San Pancho, I really didn't know what to expect. I had assumed it was a big, impersonal hostal with rotating staff and many beds. As it turns out, the house only sleeps six at a time, and the owners, Luis and Bianca, are also the only staff.

The intimacy this creates was a wonderful surprise. I felt more like a house guest than a customer. Luis and Bianca treat you like good friends, and consequently, you end up spending most of your time with them as well as the other guests. Bianca makes the most amazing meals for breakfast and dinner, which is included in the price. You end up getting to know the other guests very well since you share meals together, go surfing together, and generally are on the same schedule throughout your stay. It kinda brought me back to my childhood when I would spend a week at camp, and leave with lots of fond memories and new friends.

I would say this is a great place to stay if you generally prefer a hostal-like environment and are not looking for a private, resort-like getaway. If you are a social person and enjoy meeting new people, or are a solo traveler and would like to have some friends to share your vacation with, then this is the place for you. Also, surfing is a huge component of Surf House San Pancho, as the name implies. If you love to surf, or are interested in learning how to surf, then this is the place for you. Luis was such an excellent instructor. There were three of us who had either never surfed, or had only surfed a few times, and all three of us were able to ride a few very small waves to the shore by the end of a week. Both Luis and Bianca are so encouraging to those of us who were learning. Their positive attitude was infectious - we were all cheering each other on and celebrating our small surfing successes!

It was such a special experience. I had so much more fun than I possibly could have imagined. It was only five days, but it felt like 10. I really can't say enough great things about this place.

Room tip: It only sleeps six, so you may not have much of a choice with rooms. I would caution that if you go during the hot season the rooms are very warm at night, and there is no AC so it can be challenging to sleep if you prefer sleeping in a colder climate.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank stoopidbike
kusalvr, Owner at Surf House San Pancho, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

thank you very much for taking the time to write.It was a pleasure sharing our home with you, and all the good waves :)

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I spent a full week with Bianca and Luis and it was quickly apparent that they are building something special at Surf House San Pancho. They make you feel like you are their friends/family, and they are simply sharing their home with you, rather than simply serving a client.
The house is spacious, clean. and beautifully located in the hills above town for amazing views. You can choose to socialize with them - they are always welcoming - or the other guests or find a quiet space to unwind. The town is close by and the beach is just a 10 minute walk. I recommend the surf package as the food is excellent - so fresh and well prepared you'll feel healthier after the vacation even if you eat overeat, like I did. Fresh braked breads, local fruit, fresh pasta, amazing salads etc.
Also the transportation, gear, and lessons are included in the package. As for surfing, if you are beginner, they take you to perfect learning breaks and give instruction. If you are beg/intermediate like myself, they take you to as many different breaks as possible, provide tips and simply share their joy of surfing with you. If you are int/advanced surfer and they happen to be teaching that day, you can surf the local break in San Pancho.
I was traveling solo, and quickly felt at home. They are simply good people whose desire to share their love of San Pancho and the ocean with their guests shines through. Can't wait to return
Highly recommended.

Room tip: FYI - they have some cats (I am mildly allergic but had no problems) Just keep your door closed during the day...
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank stoked73
kusalvr, Owner at Surf House San Pancho, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you so much for your generous words, we had a blast sharing our home with you, and we are looking forward to having you again at the surf house.
Thank you Steve, what a pleasure to get to know you and surf together :)