“This place is a gem”
Review of Hotel Cielo Rojo

Hotel Cielo Rojo
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed January 22, 2011

We were originally going to stay in Sayulita, but heard about Cielo Rojo (and San Pancho in general) from some friends, and decided to stay for a couple nights before heading to the larger and busier town of Sayulita. We fell in love with San Pancho and ended up spending the majority of our vacation there.

Cielo Rojo was one of the reasons why we loved our stay in San Pancho. It had a warm and welcoming atmosphere, right from the start. We arrived at night, and when we were taken to our room, we followed a candlelit lined staircase all the way up the stairs. It was beautiful. The collection of art and furniture that was on display throughout was interesting and beautiful to look at. Old movie posters, photographs, wood furniture, whale bones in the courtyard. The attention to detail was evident. The place was very clean and well kept.

The organic restaurant was wonderful (great organic granola, tequila, fresh baked bread, seafood, salads). The staff in both the restaurant and the hotel were friendly and helpful, and really made you feel welcomed.

We also really liked that you could buy some of the restaurant's offerings like granola, organic tequila, or soap from the hotel. They also had some interesting jewelry on display that you could admire (or buy) - and not your standard mexican silver.

Location was great - just off the main road, so you could walk all around the small town. You could walk to the beach, yoga studio, restaurants, shops, etc. It was also well situated to drive a few minutes to Sayulita, if you wanted a little more action and to see more tourists.

This place is, in a word, charming. We will go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LovelyBC_608

Reviewed December 27, 2010

My wife and I were exploring the west coast of Jalisco and Nayarit. We were told that San Pancho was a great town, and I found a blurb about this little boutique hotel in a book at a previous hotel we were staying at. We decided to show up around noon one day to see if we wanted to stay... the place was adorable and perfect for what we were looking for, we thought this would be a great place for a few days before heading further north. We ended up staying for 8 nights...

The entire hotel is very tastefully decorated with wonderful art and craft pieces throughout. We chose a suite with a queen bed in the bedroom and two twins in another room which became our siesta daybeds. Their is a nice water fountain in the restaurant patio area which provides a calm and relaxing sound for the rooms - which helped us with plenty of siestas throughout our stay.

The staff was wonderful and took great care of us throughout the whole time we were there. Everything was very relaxed which is exactly what we were looking for.

I highly recommend this hotel, and look forward to future stays.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travel-theSeas
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Two graduate students from Guadalajara were in search of a much-needed change of scenery, so we took the bus from GUAD to San Pancho (well, we had to switch to the local bus once we hit the coast, about 20 minutes from San Pancho). First class bus with movies and a bag of snacks! We had been in touch with the hotel several times to confirm the rez and to advise of our arrival time. We chose the hotel based on tripadvisor reviews, the website pics, and chowhound reviews and recommendations.

The bus dropped us off on the corner of the main drag and the little street that goes into San Pancho. We never, ever would have found or seen it if we were driving our own car! (it was dark). The wall of humidity that hit us when we got off the bus was oppressive...so different from the dryness of the altitude of GUAD! We found the hotel after a sweaty 10 minute walk and rang the bell. No one. We rang it again. According to the hours posted outside the front door, someone should have been there for another hour still. We called, and could hear the phone ringing inside. I tried to slide the window open in order to "break in". The streets were pretty lively (9:00-ish?) with people, so after about 20 minutes of hand wringing, we knocked on the door of house across the street because we saw a light on. We figured they might know who we could call. They did! After about 15 minutes more, a lovely woman showed up. It was her day off and she was pissed that her co-worker skipped out early, esp when she had a check-in!

The hotel is great. So beautifully decorated, hip, chic, and cool. Great room, too! We got our keys and dealt with the paperwork the next day. Breakfast was fabulous (as everybody already says on this site). Continental breakfast was included: strong, fresh coffee, yogurt with homemade granola, toast. The only bummer was that this award-winning organic restaurant was closed (except for breakfast) the whole week we were there. Not to panic...we found the BEST restaurant ever in Maria's on Calle Tercer Mundo (the main drag). We ate there several times. The food was incredible, and the staff was so welcoming. PS- not much was open in August in this tiny hamlet as far as restaurants. It's the lowest of the low season, and I think they take their vacations then.

Good thing about Hotel Cielo Rojo's resto being closed is that we set up there with our laptops and worked on our graduate papers. They saw us there and set up fans for us, then, as it was getting dark, they came and turned on lights for us (without us asking). So nice.

I dream of going back. My only complaint is that no one was there to let us in! We are fluent and were resourceful, but another type of traveler would be in trouble. That never should have happened.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2010

The most delightful part of my recent trip to Mexico was my stay at the Cielo Rojo. I was enchanted by the elegant and artistic decor...every time I looked, I noticed some other beautiful, well-placed piece that I wished I could have in my home! The continental breakfast of coffee, homemade granola, yogurt, and fruit was a lovely start to my mornings. I enjoyed watching Juan Diego in the restaurant carefully prepare each dish with local, organic ingredients --and occasionally a leaf from the plants on site!

I think it must be a prerequisite for all of the employees to be extremely chill and accommodating. Maria greeted us each day with a warm smile. Yahaire helped us to find an excellent bird watching tour with Luis of San Pancho Birding (an excellent walking tour which included the history of San Pancho and many beautiful sights off the beaten trail.) Beach towels and umbrellas were provided daily..and much appreciated in the hot San Pancho beach! The dipping pool in the back of the hotel was very refreshing after a relaxing day at the beach.

We also got a fantastic deal and a suite upgrade for going during the low season!

I would highly recommend Cielo Rojo to anyone who appreciates elegant Mexican style and extraordinary hospitality in a low key beach town. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank TreehouseChica
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We just spent the most wonderful 4 nights at the Hotel Cielo Rojo. The hotel is beautifully decorated setting the scene for relaxation and exploration. The rooms are lovely and calming and the staff is incredibly helpful and kind. The food is wonderful-- we had a delicious free breakfast every morning and the hotel provided us with towels and beach umbrellas. The hotel is about 3 blocks from a nice beach (although the waves here are a little rough). There is a sweet little wading pool at the hotel, which was a little oasis after sitting on the hot beach. The only down-side is the noise, which did not bother me, as a good sleeper, but the roosters start at 0530. BUT, the hotel thought ahead, and there were earplugs waiting in our room! The hotel is simple, without TVs or phones in the rooms, but there is air conditioning. The hotel absolutely made our vacation, and we can't recommend it strongly enough for the laid back traveler who appreciates kind people, artistic decor, good food and a great cultural experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I thought I sang my praises about this place ages ago, but apparently I failed to post correctly, so here's my re-post: My wife and I stayed at Cielo Rojo in January 2009. We were taking a much needed break from LA, and wanted to hide out somewhere in Mexico, a country we dearly love. We had heard about Cielo Rojo from friends who'd stayed there the year before and decided to go for it. First of all, San Pancho is just about the sleepiest seaside town in Mexico, but there's a nice smattering of hip restaurants and shops if you do your homework, and over the years many folks from around the world have made the town their homes, so a patina of European bohemia colors the local vibe. And, for those who know that the true heart of any town can be found in it's street food the taco stands of San Pancho are up to par with just about any in Mexico. And, of course, ten minutes south is the slightly wilder town of Sayulita, a surfer's paradise that's become a bit of a tourist trap of late, but still possess it's own rich street life, bar-scene and fancy hotels. In other words, if you crave a wild night out while you're in San Pancho, no worries.
But I digress....Hotel Cielo Rojo, located just blocks from the beach and on a quiet side-street off the main drag, with it's cozy adobe exterior, is the perfect gateway to the old and new of San Pancho. The owners are artists with an excellent eye for design, and though the layout is simple and inviting, it's also very smart, and good taste runs throughout the place, with nicely appointed, spare rooms, a nice collection of vintage art, displays of local clothing and jewelry and a hip, inter-continental staff that can school you on any thing you might want to know about local art/dining/music/exploring. In short, they've got it down.

Now, the kitchen- a narrow crowded room off the office, facing a quaint, quiet courtyard- is the biggest surprise. With a focus on local, seasonal foods, the staff offers one of the best breakfasts I've ever had. I still jones for the granola, and the dinners are even better. With a shockingly smart wine list, and a taste for smart twists on typical latin dishes, we routinely found ourselves hanging out, trying anything and everything they had on the menu. And, if you're lucky, the staff will drink Tecate's from a can with you after their shifts and fill you in on the best local surf breaks.

So, yeah, we loved it. Our only gripe had nothing to do with the hotel. That we reserve for a rooster with no sense of time who started sounding off at two a.m. our first night in town and didn't let up until dawn. Never happened again after that, so I think he ended up someone's dinner. If so, then all is forgiven, sir.

Need I say more? If you're looking for quiet, tasteful digs outside of Sayulita, look no further than Cielo Rojo. It's the place my wife and I dream of returning to as soon as she gets a vacation. Me, I'm free-lance and ready to go anytime.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2010

The staff in this hotel are exceptional. (Thank you!) The room was comfortable and the shower was great. The restaurant is so pleasant (and the coffee so good) that we lingered over the breakfast (included) for hours. The food is organic and the dinners are gourmet. A lovely place with lovely people in a lovely town.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
#5 of 10 in Sayulita
Las Casitas
Las Casitas
#13 of 19 in Rincon de Guayabitos

Been to Hotel Cielo Rojo? Share your experiences!