“hidden gem, with extras :-)”

West Usk Lighthouse
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is a quiet B&B that managed to combine modern amenities with the old romantic feel of the lighthouse. The rooms are decorated with the old maritime artifacts, the stairs and the outside area adds to the charm of what one would expect of a lighthouse. The lighthouse is located away from any major roads and houses so the area is incredibly quiet. There are some nice, sea side walks leading from it. There is certainly a sense of romanticism as you drive up the final stretch with the lighthouse surrounded by trees - looks great at night. The BIG plus of the place is the portable spa (40 degrees) which is located on the upper level. It has great views of the bay as you seat in the hot tub...Whether it rains or not is irrelevant, the tub is open 24 hours.......Finally, the breakfast was just fine, Sparkie is the cutest dog and Frank is very friendly and informative and goes over the top to make you feel welcomed. I have checked a number of lighthouses around UK and this one is at the lower end of the budget, but with that hot tub, its a winner....

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank paul658

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I tried to book a room in this property as a treat for my partner via their web site - but it froze, so I phoned instead. I was informed by phone that the Waterbed Room, with the best views, had a cancellation and that I could book for 2 nights. An email from the owners was sent 2 weeks later confirming my booking. I was therefore totally devastated to receive a text 3 weeks after the confirmation email saying that the room had been double booked and that my booking was no longer possible.
On calling the owner, I was offered another room for our 1st night and then to move to our originally booked room for the 2nd night. I found this unacceptable given that we had already booked the feature Waterbed Room and had our hearts set on a 2 night stay in it. Eventually the owner apologised and said it was their fault. I then said that I would be passing on my experience via TripAdviser to be told that I was going to be on the end of bad Karma - inappropriate I feel? Naturally I then cancelled our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Nicole M
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My partner bought me this weekend away for our anniversary.
We had two nights in the four poster bedroom which was absolutely gorgeous. The view that greeted us in the morning was just perfect.
We went into the hot tub a couple of times and at night with our music playing, the coloured lights and a glass of bubbly it was just heaven.
Breakfast cooked by Frank was amazing and set us both up for the day... cereals, toast, fruit AND the full Monty cooked washed down with tea and coffee.
Beautiful walks and local places to eat... Frank and Danielle can point you in the right direction.
The weekend was just amazing and worth every penny. Its the only place I know where you can relax, enjoy beautiful views and change in a Dr Who Tardis! Highly recommend.

Maria and Mark

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank maria_gowland
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband Michael and I, stayed for two wonderful nights at this amazing place, The views from the hot tub were stunning .
The owners Frank and Dannielle are such warm and friendly people and go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as possible - Franks cooked breakfasts are delicious .
Fank is also very knowledgeable of the local area,
we are hoping to go back very soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are individual and nicely decorated - but the water bed is a great room .
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LeanaHW
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Natalie and I have just had 3 wonderful nights at the west Usk lighthouse the place is stunning the view from the hot tub both sunrise and sunset are worth the price alone.Frank could have done nothing more for us nothing was of any trouble at all and his local knowledge was very helpful. Breakfast was enough to keep you going all day and and the other people we shared it with we're lovely thank you to them and a big thank you to all from the lighthouse who made our weekend a nice one.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Steve S
Reviewed August 23, 2013

What an amazing and charming place. All our guests have said that our wedding weekend was out of this world and complimented the hosts, Frank and Danielle, who went out of their way to make sure all our needs were met - and more! Will definitely be returning and would highly recommend, My husband and I fell in love with The West Usk Lighthouse and so did our family. It will forever hold a special place in our hearts, with many happy memories that will last a lifetime. We look forward to our return!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Michelle W
Reviewed August 17, 2013

An amazing place, the perfect combination of quiet and quirky. We stayed in the lovely family room with enough room for 2 adults and 2 school-aged children and one of the most spacious bathrooms (with a musical shower!) we've encountered in our travels :) Frank was a delight and amazingly patient answering my children's questions and providing advice on things to do in the area. We even got to "borrow" Sparky for a lovely walk along the coast. The generous breakfasts (including my vegetarian one) were tasty and more than enough to keep us full well past lunchtime. And the hot tub on the roof, with views of the estuary and rolling fields, was a perfect wind-down after busy days. A wonderful getaway! Hope we can make the long trip back from the U.S. to return someday :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Hazel Court
Hazel Court
#1 of 2 in Llanwern
The Waterloo Hotel & Bistro

Been to West Usk Lighthouse? Share your experiences!