We booked a nights stay in the lighthouse after seeing it on the advertisement for laterooms.com. We arrived at about 3pm which was earlier than the check in time so we went for a walk along the coastal path for an hour.
We checked into our room at 4pm. We chose the room with the king size waterbed which had beautiful views of the sea. The room was large and had everything you would need including free wireless Internet, a hair dryer, complimentary tea and coffee with fresh milk, a fridge hidden away in a cupboard, a TV with a DVD player (there was a massive collection of DVD's for you to borrow as well).
For dinner Frank, the owner, recommended The Inn at The Elm Tree which was literally a two minute drive away (back down the gravel track, turn left and drive for about three minutes). The food there was outstanding and the two of us had a three course meal and drinks for about £80.
After dinner we returned to the lighthouse and spent the evening watching the sun go down and the stars come out while sat in the hot tub on the roof - a perfect way to end the day.
After an amazing nights sleep we were treated to a fantastic breakfast and Frank told us about the history of the lighthouse and how he came to purchase it over 25 years ago. If you do stay there, ask him to show you the picture of the lighthouse when he purchased it. It is only when you see the photograph that you will realise just how much effort has gone in to restoring this beautiful building to its former glory and you will love it even more.
I would recommend the lighthouse stay to anyone. We will definitely be returning in the near future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Super B&B in a real Lighthouse, near Newport Gwent with 4-poster beds and a waterbed, all en-suite. There is a hot tub on the roof! Great for families, hen nights, birthday celebrations, special anniversaries. We now have a wedding license for up to 23 guests. When there is a group booking, the lighthouse is not available to others. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your West Usk Lighthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- West Usk Lighthouse Hotel St. Brides Wentlooge
- West Usk Lighthouse Newport/St. Brides Wentlooge, Wales