“Nothing contrary about this Mary - in fact St. Mary's is the perfect place to stay!”
Review of St. Mary's Hotel

St. Mary's Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pencoed
Reviewed December 4, 2012

How could it be, one wonders, that I should end up in South Wales for a business trip and be raving not once, but now a second time about Thai food? Well, we'll get to that in a bit.

I was assigned a trip to this part of the world that I have never really been to, except a junket down to Land's End upon leaving Old Blighty for the New World. Living in American as I now do and having become accustomed to relatively cheap, good accommodation, it was quite a surprise to find somewhere as nice as St. Mary's Hotel, Golf and country Club in Pencoed, just a short drive from the offices I have been working at now for the best part of a week. Indeed, I look toward my departure this Friday with a tearful eye, as I feel very much at home here.

The breakfasts in the conservatory overlooking one of the putting greens are memorable. The white layer of chilling frost is not able to detract from the full English breakfast "with all the fixin's" as they say in the South. The staff is able to look after us house guests with all our whims and idiosyncrasies, despite catering to multiple large events - a wedding on the weekend, parties, office groups etc. etc.

The Spike Room is a quaint bar - decorated with a lot of interesting artefacts - that allows the strutting golfers in their spikey shoes to hit a "19th Hole" for a libation after their game without having to overexert themselves bent double fiddling around trying to untie pesky laces.....

Finally, I will have to come back to the food. The Thai red curry (Gaeng Deng?) was of a remarkably high quality, as was the green curry I had tonight. Every one of the staff members has such friendly dedication with which they carry out their tasks, and for the hospitality they exude, down to the general manager - and most likely the owner - who personally brought by an ironing board and a steam iron (pre-filled with water) so that I could prepare some new shirts I had bought for wear.....

If you come to St. Mary's you will soon realize that this one is not of the contrary one of the nursery rhymes, although I would not be surprised that the garden grows very well here too. I shall have to make my next stay here in the springtime, if I am so lucky as to be reassigned to the Vale of Glamorgan!

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 7 - two double beds - not sure how many there are in total, but most likely all rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Swissfellow
There are newer reviews for St. Mary's Hotel

Reviewed November 25, 2012

What a wonderful experience.....We booked this hotel @ short notice and was given an excellent price. We arrived on Saturday lunchtime and were greeted by alovely friendly receptionist.We were shown to our room and were amazed at how lovely it was. Beautifully furnished, and very warm, which was great as it was a cold ,wet day.
We then went into the bar for lunch...this was really good ,with a wide choice.
We went to Cardiff to see a show and returned to the hotel in the evening,where we ate again...beautiful!!
The staff were really friendly and helpful .
Breakfast was fabulous, well cooked and plenty of it. The service fast and friendly,again.
I have read some of the negative reviews on here and really can't believe it is the same hotel.......

Room Tip: Room 8 was lovely,with a view of the golf course...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My family and I have been visiting St Marys for years. It's set in beautiful surroundings and a wonderful golf course that my husband has played on a number of times. We have always found the place charming. As a couple who value good friendly service you always get it here. Tony has been working there for years and always has a smile on his face.
Sunday lunch is one of our favourite meals as all the family gets together and the staff always look after us (including my grandchildren which can be hard work sometimes!).
I have to say the meals have always been very good but recently we have noticed small changes in the quality of the meals which is a real shame. Sunday lunch has always been fantastic. However on our last visit we noticed the portion sizes had got a lot smaller, even though the prices have gone up. As you can tell I really enjoy this place and would not want to see its quality slip.
Overall, it is a lovely place to visit and we hope to continue visiting for many years to come.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We have had quite a few daytime meals at this hotel and each time we have been amazed at the quality and variety of the meals. The menu changes regularly depending on local produce being available which is cooked and presented well. Where else could you find two meals of good quality for £8.50?? The deserts are not cheap but always fabulous.
£19.95 for two people having a two course meal with the option of half price bottle of wine in the day and evening.
My wife took a friend there today and she was also very impressed with the food and service.
Will return again as you can't get bored with the ever changing menu. Keep up the good work chef!!

Golf is worth a try as well, very reasonable fees, friendly people and an enjoyable course.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I booked this hotel as a last minute booking due to an unforseen meeting and was not disappointed. The hotel was very clean and had a nice feeling about it. The staff, in particular the receptionist, were very helpful in assisting with my requests for items I needed. One thing I would say on a negative though is that the path to reception from the residents car park was in need of cleaning as it was covered in grass and mud that was probably brought their by the golfers on their return. I appreciate that it is a golf club too but other guests should be considered too. Moan over. The restaurant provided a wide choice of delicious food at very reasonable prices. The only issue I would raise with this is that the staff, although very friendly, need to give the single guest as much attention as they do large parties. I did feel slightly that I had to wait until the large party there that evening had been served before I got further service. That said it certainly wouldn't stop me from staying there again when in the area. Thank you St Marys.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My daughter was married here and nothing was too much trouble for Tony and his staff we had a fantastic day .we go there regularly for food which is always fantastic.The offer on the weekend of two meals and a bottle of wine for £20 is really good value. Sunday lunch is always very good .

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I don't normally put reviews on here, but was so impressed by quality of service we received during my daughter's wedding at St Mary's that I cannot let it go unmentioned.

From the wonderful food, comfortable and spacious accommodation and lovely surrounding to the warm hospitality of all the St Mary's team this was a really wonderful venue. No request was too much for the staff and no guest too demanding. And Mr Tony added a lot of colour and humour to our day!

Thanks again to everyone at St Mary's for hosting such an excellent day.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pencoed
Travelodge Bridgend Pencoed
Court Colman Manor
Court Colman Manor
#4 of 8 in Bridgend
Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff M4

Been to St. Mary's Hotel? Share your experiences!