“Lovely settings”
Review of St. Mary's Hotel

St. Mary's Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pencoed
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My family and I have been visiting St Marys for years. It's set in beautiful surroundings and a wonderful golf course that my husband has played on a number of times. We have always found the place charming. As a couple who value good friendly service you always get it here. Tony has been working there for years and always has a smile on his face.
Sunday lunch is one of our favourite meals as all the family gets together and the staff always look after us (including my grandchildren which can be hard work sometimes!).
I have to say the meals have always been very good but recently we have noticed small changes in the quality of the meals which is a real shame. Sunday lunch has always been fantastic. However on our last visit we noticed the portion sizes had got a lot smaller, even though the prices have gone up. As you can tell I really enjoy this place and would not want to see its quality slip.
Overall, it is a lovely place to visit and we hope to continue visiting for many years to come.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We have had quite a few daytime meals at this hotel and each time we have been amazed at the quality and variety of the meals. The menu changes regularly depending on local produce being available which is cooked and presented well. Where else could you find two meals of good quality for £8.50?? The deserts are not cheap but always fabulous.
£19.95 for two people having a two course meal with the option of half price bottle of wine in the day and evening.
My wife took a friend there today and she was also very impressed with the food and service.
Will return again as you can't get bored with the ever changing menu. Keep up the good work chef!!

Golf is worth a try as well, very reasonable fees, friendly people and an enjoyable course.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I booked this hotel as a last minute booking due to an unforseen meeting and was not disappointed. The hotel was very clean and had a nice feeling about it. The staff, in particular the receptionist, were very helpful in assisting with my requests for items I needed. One thing I would say on a negative though is that the path to reception from the residents car park was in need of cleaning as it was covered in grass and mud that was probably brought their by the golfers on their return. I appreciate that it is a golf club too but other guests should be considered too. Moan over. The restaurant provided a wide choice of delicious food at very reasonable prices. The only issue I would raise with this is that the staff, although very friendly, need to give the single guest as much attention as they do large parties. I did feel slightly that I had to wait until the large party there that evening had been served before I got further service. That said it certainly wouldn't stop me from staying there again when in the area. Thank you St Marys.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My daughter was married here and nothing was too much trouble for Tony and his staff we had a fantastic day .we go there regularly for food which is always fantastic.The offer on the weekend of two meals and a bottle of wine for £20 is really good value. Sunday lunch is always very good .

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I don't normally put reviews on here, but was so impressed by quality of service we received during my daughter's wedding at St Mary's that I cannot let it go unmentioned.

From the wonderful food, comfortable and spacious accommodation and lovely surrounding to the warm hospitality of all the St Mary's team this was a really wonderful venue. No request was too much for the staff and no guest too demanding. And Mr Tony added a lot of colour and humour to our day!

Thanks again to everyone at St Mary's for hosting such an excellent day.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Lovely setting, but badly needs an upgrade.breakfast was just ok, could do with some attention to detail.
Old tv set and ancient remote !! with only 5 channels...poor...

Room Tip: rooms are mostly ground level, they are ok, but 5 channel tv was poor..very dated. Bed was comfy en...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I have stayed at St Mary's for at least two nights nearly every week since November 2011. I first started coming to this hotel three years ago.

The hotel is making improvements, the conservatory has been completely refurbished, the bars/restaurant area has had all new carpets and the seats have been reupolstered.

The building itself is wonderful, yes the bedroom furniture is old but I do like it, the sleigh beds are comfortable and never fail to give a goods night sleep, my only comments in the bedrooms is that the lighting could be brighter and in a lot of rooms the bathrooms could do with upgradin,. but again they are functional.

Food can sometimes be a bit hit and miss but overall it's OK, as a long term regular I have even been allowed to order food not on the menu. Prices are good and the staff are wonderful, travelling on my own its nice to be able to have a conversation with the bar staff.

The only downside for this hotel is if you want to go out somewhere else you need to drive or get a taxi as there is no where in waling distance.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pencoed
Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa
Lauriston Hotel
#13 of 28 in Weston super Mare
10 mi away
Holiday Inn Cardiff North – M4, Jct.32

Been to St. Mary's Hotel? Share your experiences!