All reviews beautiful countryside royal mint lovely location cooked food stayed one night evening meal yogurt lakes cardiff heating
Selected filters
Reviewed February 3, 2019 via mobile

Stayed one night but it was great will definitely stay again. Despite a really cold weekend it was lovely and warm, rooms clean and well equipped. Breakfast was delicious nothing was too much trouble thank you

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed November 22, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. Arrived on the Monday afternoon. Advised by owner there was no restraunt that evening. There are other places to eat close by. Room was clean and cosy. There is kettle in room to make tea/coffee. Also bottled water. TV and hairdryer.Bathroom has shower. Bed comfortable. You can regulate your own heating. Breakfast between 8-9.30am which comprised of cereal,fruit and yoghurt. Cooked breakfast toast and tea or coffee. Which was lovely. Had evening meal on the Tue evening partner had roast lamb and I had lasagne which was very tasty and home made.
Owners are very friendly and made us feel welcome.
The hotel is set down a country lane which is narrow in places. Very peaceful. There are 3 lakes which you be fish.
All in all a very pleasant stay.

Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed November 21, 2018 via mobile

On arrival was greeted by owners who rekindled that there was no restaurant or bar open Monday which was we already ready knew from the Information on the countryman .
We booked a table at the 3 saints which is 3 or 4 minutes drive away opposite the royal mint experience which was one of our reason for staying at the hotel.

The countryman inn is very warm and comfortable, very nice owners who were very amicable.
The breakfast each morning was very nice and a great start to the day.
We had evening meal on 2nd night which was super.
The countryman also offers a lovely quiet and peaceful surroundings and 3 lakes available if you are an avid angler.

We hope to return next year.

Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed June 14, 2018 via mobile

We were due to spend two nights at The Countryman inn to attend a friend’s wedding nearby, tragically just a week before the wedding the groom suddenly died. At that point we were a few days beyond the free cancellation period, I rang the hotel to enquire whether, in the circumstances, the £190 charge might be waived. The lady I spoke to expressed sympathy ( after initially suggesting I might be making the whole thing up to get out of the booking) but refused to waive the charge, she claimed that the only thing she could do is put the room up to be rebooked and if it was then the charge would be refunded which grudgingly I accepted. As the week progressed I kept an eye on the website which consistently stated the hotel was fully booked, leading me to come to the conclusion that I was lied to and the room was not going to be made available to be rebooked - something that was proved to be the case when I was called by the hotel at 22.30 on the night I was originally booked in and asked what time I would be arriving! Expressing my surprise and disgust at the situation the lady blustered and said she thought we’d sent them an email in the week saying we would be attending after all - utter nonsense and an outright lie! Appalling customer service.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank markadamdavies
Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

We stayed at the Countryman inn and travelled into Cardiff to watch the boxing. We had been trying to contact the hotel during the week before but no one answered the phone or mobile so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Luckily on the morning we were driving down we got through and they let us check in early which was fantastic.

The room we had was basic but clean and as we weren’t planning on spending that much time in the room it suited us perfectly. They let you have a key to an outside door so you can come and go as you please which was great.

Breakfast on Sunday was served between 8-9.30. There wasn’t a huge amount of choice (yogurt, bananas, grapes, a couple of boxes of cereal, fruit juice) but they offer a cooked breakfast or porridge. We had a cooked breakfast which was nice and the coffee was great.

I don’t know if there is guest WiFi as I forgot to ask for the code at check in and there wasn’t a card in the room. The staff are friendly and welcoming.

The inn is very close to the Royal Mint experience so would be a great place to stop overnight.

Overall I would say the place is good. TripAdvisor lets you have very good or average neither of which really apply.

Date of stay: April 2018