“Felt like staying at an old friends place!”

Aberthaw House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Barry
Sydney, Australia
“Felt like staying at an old friends place!”
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed for one night, arriving on a cold and rainy day in Barry. The welcome was like catching up with an old friend. The room was very clean and comfortable. What set this accommodation apart from the rest was the small bar area and the wonderful, friendly owners to chat and drink with. The food was amazing, including the breakfast. Take note small hotel and B&B owners...this place has set the benchmark for how it should be done! I would recommend Aberthaw House without hesitation, and would suggest you plan your trip to include Barry just to experience what we enjoyed so much!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2010

The hotel was very clean and tidy with tea making facilities in the room. The bed was more comfortable than the one in my own house. The staff were so friendly from the moment i made the booking nothing was too much trouble for them. Both me and my partner have big appetites but the breakfast was so big neither of us could finish it!! The view out of our room was beautiful and the quiet street outside allowed us to have the window open all night. The Hotel was so close to all of the amenities that the car didnt move the whole time we were there. I only wish i could give them a ten star rating!! thank you to all at Aberthaw House Hotel!!!

England
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I chose Barry as a base to bring my husband away for his birthday (we're into Gavin & stacey), and I chose the Aberthaw as the reviews looked good. From when I spoke to Helen to book us in, until the moment we left, the service from Helen & the other 2 ladies we met there, was just so friendly & inviting. We had the room with a four poser bed in it. It was spotless. The only thing i would've changed was the thickness of the curtains, The bed was really comfortable. Breakfast was delicious, as someone said in a previous review, nothing seemed too much trouble for them. It was just a throughly lovely experience, & if we find ourselves near Barry again in the future, I would just look forward to staying there again.

Essex
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Came here to watch the rugby at the millenium stadium. The station is less than five minutes walk and there is a frequent train service.
My son and I were made very welcome, we had a spacious room. Will come again. Watch out the breakfast is massive, you wont need much lunch.

• Stayed February 2010
chepstow
Reviewed July 12, 2009

With out a doubt the best hotel I have ever stayed at, only one night but the accommodation was fantastic the bed was so comfortable and the staff so friendly the food was great as well

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RMPARSONS
Waterloo, ON
Reviewed January 8, 2009

Visiting from Canada we were delighted to find this hotel/bed and breakfast. Close to station with trains every 15 minutes to capital Cardiff. The staff were very helpful and even loaned me a laptop to check my e-mails. Very clean, super room and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and I traveled the world quite a bit. Breakfast delicious and freshly cooked. Walking distance to pubs and shopping. Highly recommended.

Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank drmdrm
Kent, UK
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I went by earlier reviewers' comments and found them to be accurate. The room was spotless. The staff were friendly and helpful.
Unfortunately I didn't eat in the hotel but went into Barry town centre (I think it was the centre). It was a bit shoddy and run down but had an adequate meal in one of the pubs.
Being on a Weightwatchers diet, I opted for a not too excessive breakfast of bacon, tomato and mushroom. Three thick back rashers with a grilled tomato and good serving of mushrooms, fresh coffee and toast set me up for the day (bugger the diet).
I'd recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Finding it was a bit difficult.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AlanWhacker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barry
The Mount Rooms
Jolyon's Boutique Hotel
Jolyon's Boutique Hotel
#20 of 73 in Cardiff
Premier Inn Barry Island (Cardiff Airport) Hotel

Been to Aberthaw House Hotel? Share your experiences!